Marantz CD63 & CD67 mods list - Page 1872 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th November 2012, 08:14 PM   #18711
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Hanke View Post
I've actually got no idea where to get a cheap one that is good.
Personally I would probably just build one myself on veroboard from good components, as the basic circuit is fairly simple and can easily be found online. You'd need something in the order of some board + stand-off mounts, a decent toroid (e.g. Nuvotem brand from RS), a case, +/- regs, smoothing caps, an LED + resistor, switch, sockets, cables, fuse, rectifier/diodes. You can usually get pre-made bare PCBs on eBay to make it a bit easier.
If I wasn't confident to do that then I'd probably save up my pennies for something off the shelf like one of Brent's supplies, because it would at least be built with hi-fi audio in mind. Brent's are a bit more pricey but include low noise regs rather than your standard 78xx/79xx jobbies.
Thanks ben i will have a look at brents then. Are the mean well power supplies any good and what would max voltage be
Old 10th November 2012, 08:20 PM   #18712
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to Ben Hanke Send a message via Skype™ to Ben Hanke
I don't know them, but a cursory search suggests that they are switching power supplies, so not recommended for this application.

Standard voltage for the CD63/67 output stage is regulated +/- 12.
Old 10th November 2012, 08:25 PM   #18713
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Hanke View Post
I don't know them, but a cursory search suggests that they are switching power supplies, so not recommended for this application.

Standard voltage for the CD63/67 output stage is regulated +/- 12.
Thanks ben yes the mean well power supplys are a switch mode type. Reason i mensioned that brand is i have one for a 41hz amp i have. But i have just ordered a valve amp
Old 10th November 2012, 08:35 PM   #18714
mcd99uk is offline mcd99uk  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

I would consider reinstating the original circuitry. It's not difficult. You could download the service manual and upgrade pdf from ray's website. Then run through the op amp section in the upgrade pdf. This would reinstate most of the components then it should be a case of refitting a few wire links and job done.

This kit may help.....

http://www.siliconray.com/power-supp...amplifier.html

Last edited by mcd99uk; 10th November 2012 at 08:43 PM.
Old 10th November 2012, 08:53 PM   #18715
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcd99uk View Post
I would consider reinstating the original circuitry. It's not difficult. You could download the service manual and upgrade pdf from ray's website. Then run through the op amp section in the upgrade pdf. This would reinstate most of the components then it should be a case of refitting a few wire links and job done.

This kit may help.....

Power Supply for JLH Headphone Amplifier - Boards | Kits | Components | Modules | Tools
Thanks mcd99uk but i dont think i could build out like that and i dont think i could reverse the power supply mod thats been done. I have broke one cd 67 allready lol. There was a bloke on here in sheffield called simont who did the mods on my other player i had but not seen him post for a while
Old 10th November 2012, 09:15 PM   #18716
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bull041161 View Post
Thanks mcd99uk but i dont think i could build out like that and i dont think i could reverse the power supply mod thats been done. I have broke one cd 67 allready lol. There was a bloke on here in sheffield called simont who did the mods on my other player i had but not seen him post for a while
To be honest, carrying out DIY modding requires some very basic electronic know how and you need to read very basic circuit diagrams. Without these you will do more harm to your kits and the successful rate is very slim. If I were you I won't carry out DIY myself and will ask someone to do the job for me. From your uploaded photos the work carried out were not good at all. Sorry for being so blunt
Old 10th November 2012, 09:27 PM   #18717
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by higlander View Post
To be honest, carrying out DIY modding requires some very basic electronic know how and you need to read very basic circuit diagrams. Without these you will do more harm to your kits and the successful rate is very slim. If I were you I won't carry out DIY myself and will ask someone to do the job for me. From your uploaded photos the work carried out were not good at all. Sorry for being so blunt
I totaly agree the work is shaby but im not guilty of it lol. I only fitted the opamps. I posted the pic to have the mods checked as i dont think the bloke knew what he was doing. I dont know any one else in sheffield who could have a look at it. As i said before i had another player before this and simont who was on here did all the mods on that and he knew what he was doing
Old 10th November 2012, 09:36 PM   #18718
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bull041161 View Post
I totaly agree the work is shaby but im not guilty of it lol. I only fitted the opamps. I posted the pic to have the mods checked as i dont think the bloke knew what he was doing. I dont know any one else in sheffield who could have a look at it. As i said before i had another player before this and simont who was on here did all the mods on that and he knew what he was doing
If you want someone to help and do a decent job for you I would suggest you forget the existing CDP and try to bid a CD63 MKII KI from the Bay. There are a few people around here who can offer modding job. I think Brent and Lee are some of the examples. Search the web and I am sure you can find out more about their services. What you need to do is to send the CDP by courier and it will be returned when the modding work is done. Hope this can help.
Old 10th November 2012, 09:42 PM   #18719
diyAudio Member

Quote:
If you want someone to help and do a decent job for you I would suggest you forget the existing CDP and try to bid a CD63 MKII KI from the Bay. There are a few people around here who can offer modding job. I think Brent and Lee are some of the examples. Search the web and I am sure you can find out more about their services. What you need to do is to send the CDP by courier and it will be returned when the modding work is done. Hope this can help.
To be honest highlander i had a 63se last that had been moded and i didnt think it was as good as the 67. Brent is not far from me docaster i think
Old 11th November 2012, 12:05 AM   #18720
UV101 is offline UV101  England
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Why buy an overpriced KI on eBay????? I can sell you a badge for £80 if you like!!!!! Thats terrible advise!!

That 67 is more than capable of equalling most DIY 63's if it get tidied up. Would you buy a new car because it needed a new tyre?

Get the main smothers back where they belong, get a large cap in the servo psu and swap the local caps as described a million times before......solid polymer on digital rails and Rubycon ZLh on analogue rails!

The only reason for going 63 over 67 is if you plan to run 2 clocks and use multiple discrete regs! Out the box the 67 out performs the 63 as its servo driver is regulated.

No point in buying a KI unless you want the badge, an SE is the same chassis just not copper plated (copper does look nice tho lmao!!) and the KI has a bigger toroidal transformer. By the time you've done the 1st round of mods, there's nothing in it!!!! In fact, you'd remove th better caps in the KI to replace with something 'better'!!

I'm also interested how Ben should use the scope to track down his mains hum???

Hide this!Advertise here!