Marantz CD63 & CD67 mods list - Page 1861 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th October 2012, 07:41 AM   #18601
UV101 is offline UV101  England
diyAudio Member

Yep, I tend to twist or braid. I've also run low voltage ac across the front previously without issue
Old 20th October 2012, 07:52 AM   #18602
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to Ben Hanke Send a message via Skype™ to Ben Hanke
Cool, thanks guys. I'll run twisted 9v pairs along the front then. Anyone have any opinion on whether 3.5va winding is enough for the DAC digital supply?

I finally got a tiny 3.2va toroid in for the display last weekend, allowing me to remove the KI transformer. It doesn't half run hot though!
Old 20th October 2012, 08:14 AM   #18603
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by badrisuper View Post
Problem fixed. Thanks UV101. Given picture helped me. Very audible difference I am hearing after removing these components.

Thanks
Badri
This method of direct coupling the output works here because there is 0v DC offset after the 2nd Opamp stage.

You should always check with a meter set to the mV range before you direct couple. DC into your amp could damage the amp and speakers!!!
Old 20th October 2012, 02:10 PM   #18604
diyAudio Member

This morning I managed to fit the four transformers at the rear side of the CD63. See the attached photo. I will connect the wires to the PCB when I have the time. The square encapsulated Tx in blue is for the low jitter clock.

I placed the three toroidal Tx on top of an universal PCB which I hope will make my soldering much more easy when connections are made.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1010540.jpg (629.2 KB, 114 views)
Old 20th October 2012, 02:16 PM   #18605
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Hanke View Post
Cool, thanks guys. I'll run twisted 9v pairs along the front then. Anyone have any opinion on whether 3.5va winding is enough for the DAC digital supply?

I finally got a tiny 3.2va toroid in for the display last weekend, allowing me to remove the KI transformer. It doesn't half run hot though!
I think it should be sufficient as the power drawn by the DAC would not be too much. You should have about 400-500mA supply of current having taking into account of the Tx efficiency.
Old 20th October 2012, 02:29 PM   #18606
diyAudio Member

Obviously it will work but I think Brent used 7.5va 9v for digital and and the same for analogue. We already know that within reason, bigger transformers bring sonic benefits.

Given the almost identical cost of the TX, I know what I'd be doing!!!!
Old 20th October 2012, 02:50 PM   #18607
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UV101 View Post
Obviously it will work but I think Brent used 7.5va 9v for digital and and the same for analogue. We already know that within reason, bigger transformers bring sonic benefits.

Given the almost identical cost of the TX, I know what I'd be doing!!!!
Agreed, the bigger the Tx the more stable the voltage and thus better. I think Ben has space constraints so he tries to use a smaller Tx
Old 20th October 2012, 02:56 PM   #18608
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Thanks higlander. Separate chip supplies were a big win for me, as was separate transformers for output, servo/5v and display, but I picked up a very low level 60Hz hum at some point that I can't seem to track down. It's not audible at listening levels - only in stop mode with amp volume past 12 o'clock (speaker blowing time) - but I'm concerned that I might make it worse.
Re. the humming issue. Did you connect the CD63 to the main's earth. When I connect the CDP to the mains earth I also got small humming noise but when I disconnect it the noise has gone. The CD63 was designed without the need for any earthing to the mains. Earthing the CDP will create earth loop
Old 20th October 2012, 03:15 PM   #18609
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to Ben Hanke Send a message via Skype™ to Ben Hanke
@higlander - No, I didn't connect the earth. I can hear the transformer(s) when I put my ear to the case as well. It's not really a big problem - it just bugs me that I know it's there. If I still had muting transistors I wouldn't even know about it.

@Ian - thanks, maybe I'll devote a whole one of these 7VA toroids to the DAC digital then. I bought 5 total. I can probably find a way to squeeze more in.
Old 20th October 2012, 03:36 PM   #18610
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I can hear the transformer(s) when I put my ear to the case as well. It's not really a big problem - it just bugs me that I know it's there. If I still had muting transistors I wouldn't even know about it.
If the humming is from the Tx itself it means that the Tx is loosely fitted. Try clamping it tight by bolts to the case.

Hide this!Advertise here!