Marantz CD63 & CD67 mods list - Page 1860 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th October 2012, 09:09 PM   #18591
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Hanke View Post
Further to Ian's warning, while many of the common mods detailed in this forum and associated lists are a well-traveled path, you should really try to not do too much in one sitting without testing and listening to the effects to make sure it's a step in the direction that you want to go.

I've tried some things in my player that have worked well for other people but haven't appealed to me. I've also broken it and fixed it lots of times just doing the simplest thing.

So I recommend you make the changes slowly and carefully or risk bricking it or ending up something you can't stand to listen to.
Yes as ian says a basic understanding of a circuit diagram is a must signal in mmm nowhere to go.
Old 19th October 2012, 09:35 PM   #18592
UV101 is offline UV101  England
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikeral10 View Post
Just reworked my crossovers replaced the 30 yr old caps with some paper in oil wow,What an improvement, Removed the protection circuit 2 poly switches. (ceramic caps) and did the diodes in my 63 for some ultra fast ones vishay 1n5062s next a c2 order one mon am.
cheers guys alan
Did Brent give you a price on the C2 Alan??

Btw, I redid my xovers with mundorf supreme. Binned off the crappy elco's and Kimber 4tc rewired. Def well worthwhile
Just changed the speakers so need to do it all again!!!!!!!!!
Old 19th October 2012, 10:10 PM   #18593
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Hanke View Post
Further to Ian's warning, while many of the common mods detailed in this forum and associated lists are a well-traveled path, you should really try to not do too much in one sitting without testing and listening to the effects to make sure it's a step in the direction that you want to go.

I've tried some things in my player that have worked well for other people but haven't appealed to me. I've also broken it and fixed it lots of times just doing the simplest thing.

So I recommend you make the changes slowly and carefully or risk bricking it or ending up something you can't stand to listen to.
Totally agreed Ben Try doing the mod bit by bid and connect up the power after a small change. Then listen if you can hear any improvement and confirm everything is working alright before doing another mod. This will save you a lot of time on trouble shooting in case there is a fault.
Old 19th October 2012, 10:12 PM   #18594
diyAudio Member

Default re clock

Quote:
Originally Posted by UV101 View Post

Btw, I redid my xovers with mundorf supreme. Binned off the crappy elco's and Kimber 4tc rewired. Def well worthwhile
Just changed the speakers so need to do it all again!!!!!!!!!
Miss the detail a clock gives will drive up to doncaster to fetch one . just fitted a yoshi can and remap to the bike all good @ the mo.
cheers ian alan
Old 19th October 2012, 10:13 PM   #18595
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I noticed the price of Brent's C2 has reduced in eBay Presently £149 +£7.99 postage.
Old 19th October 2012, 10:40 PM   #18596
mcd99uk is offline mcd99uk  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Just finished a listening session with my modded CD67. Some tracks just sounded amazing. Other tracks I love sounded disappointing. It's amazing what you can do with £250 and a lot of time mixed in with sheer "bloody mindedness" . Several times I had the disc spinning in different directions with the laser clicking away....

The amp and speakers used currently are a cambridge audio A3i and some old mordaunt short MS5.40s. Next is to get the cyrus amp out. Then maybe if I can be bothered move my DIY setup into the lounge (The speakers weigh in at a combined 160Kg). Fully active with leach amps and equalized sealed subs.

So a big thank you to all those that have contributed to this thread with the information I devoured to get my player to this state. My player may not be as good as some of the others created by members of this board but I'm amazed at the results achieved (so far...).

Old 20th October 2012, 04:23 AM   #18597
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to Ben Hanke Send a message via Skype™ to Ben Hanke
Intermittent clicking laser / backwards disc sounds like a loose connection somewhere.
When I get that, I usually just gently touch the top of components to see what makes it change behaviour (with the sound off and nowhere near the mains, of course! Safety first!)

My sled goes crazy sometimes when I start from cold, but that seems to be just a startup time problem caused by capacitor charging delay.

Re: my question from earlier, if nobody has any advice to the contrary then I guess I'll try running 9V AC wires along the front panel and hope for the best.
Old 20th October 2012, 07:32 AM   #18598
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Re: my question from earlier, if nobody has any advice to the contrary then I guess I'll try running 9V AC wires along the front panel and hope for the best.
I think if you twist the 9V AC wires it will make less interference. You may run this twisted wires along the side plates and near the top of the case to clear its way from the PCB.
Old 20th October 2012, 07:37 AM   #18599
diyAudio Member

Quote:
This pic shows the signal path from the Opamp filter stage to the output photos.

You have removed various components from the signal path. Now you must reinstate a direct path to the output

Click the image to open in full size.
Problem fixed. Thanks UV101. Given picture helped me. Very audible difference I am hearing after removing these components.

Thanks
Badri
Old 20th October 2012, 07:41 AM   #18600
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to Ben Hanke Send a message via Skype™ to Ben Hanke
Thanks higlander. Separate chip supplies were a big win for me, as was separate transformers for output, servo/5v and display, but I picked up a very low level 60Hz hum at some point that I can't seem to track down. It's not audible at listening levels - only in stop mode with amp volume past 12 o'clock (speaker blowing time) - but I'm concerned that I might make it worse.

Hide this!Advertise here!