Marantz CD63 & CD67 mods list - Page 1858 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th October 2012, 07:45 AM   #18571
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCruz View Post
The 63 has separated Decoder and servo chips, so you can use two clocks, one for the dac / decoder and the other for the servo.... that really makes a difference.
I agree this! thx.
Old 16th October 2012, 08:00 AM   #18572
UV101 is offline UV101  England
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by higlander View Post
@UV101: Having looked carefully to your photo I found that your small clock only feeds external signal to the decoder and the long black wire should be an earthing wire for the clcok. I can still see the X'tal and resistor on the servo circuit.
That is one of my regs/clocks. I had some pcb's made after I proved the design on vero. There is some logic out of shot to divide the clock by 2 for the servo section.

I didn't want the expense of 2 clocks in this player, but as stated by Ricardo, I would definitely recommend using 2 clocks once you get to a certain performance level.
Old 16th October 2012, 09:53 AM   #18573
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UV101 View Post
That is one of my regs/clocks. I had some pcb's made after I proved the design on vero. There is some logic out of shot to divide the clock by 2 for the servo section.

I didn't want the expense of 2 clocks in this player, but as stated by Ricardo, I would definitely recommend using 2 clocks once you get to a certain performance level.
Thanks UV101.
Actually I have purchased a low jitter clock like this and it is on its way to me by post from overseas: 1PPM 16.9344 8.4672 Mhz Low Jitter TCXO Clock Module | eBay

The clock output frequency has 2 different settings and I will use the 16.9Mhz for the decoder and the 8.46 for the servo.
Old 16th October 2012, 07:37 PM   #18574
diyAudio Member

WILL is be good to have a just once seperate clock psu and to power both clocks together? I was thinking alike but mounting 2 separate clock psu will be much more work and cost.

Will the noise from both clock affect each clocks performance?
Old 16th October 2012, 10:05 PM   #18575
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by higlander View Post
Thanks UV101.
Actually I have purchased a low jitter clock like this and it is on its way to me by post from overseas: 1PPM 16.9344 8.4672 Mhz Low Jitter TCXO Clock Module | eBay

The clock output frequency has 2 different settings and I will use the 16.9Mhz for the decoder and the 8.46 for the servo.
I tried one lasted 6months vintage audio lab job, i did the dac and the servo killed a couple of players till i found it was the clock?? Save up and buy a c2.And you can mount large caps on the psu ive done it with panasonic 22,000 ufs. As ian says you need to drill the pcb.
cheers alan
panasonic tsups from rs £16 aint as good as mundorfs tho

Last edited by bikeral10; 16th October 2012 at 10:07 PM. Reason: more info
Old 16th October 2012, 10:23 PM   #18576
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to Ben Hanke Send a message via Skype™ to Ben Hanke
Mundorf AG snap-in caps are under 8 quid at PCX right now. Limited stocks available. These caps are perfect for the CD63 and you dont need to drill the PCB to fit - just solder about a centimeter length of wire. It helps to remove the remote bus switch that nobody ever uses.

To run 2 clocks, I found it worked well to get a small toroid with dual secondaries and build 2 separate PSUs on one compact board.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 17th October 2012, 08:05 AM   #18577
UV101 is offline UV101  England
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikeral10 View Post
I tried one lasted 6months vintage audio lab job, i did the dac and the servo killed a couple of players till i found it was the clock?? Save up and buy a c2.And you can mount large caps on the psu ive done it with panasonic 22,000 ufs. As ian says you need to drill the pcb.
cheers alan
panasonic tsups from rs £16 aint as good as mundorfs tho
Or better still get a C3 (or 2)!!!!!lol

Yep the C2 is awesome for this player. You always get what you pay for. Sure the eBay clock will be better than the std set up but they don't quote the important figures. Trust me, the is world of difference between an eBay clock and a C2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Hanke View Post
Mundorf AG snap-in caps are under 8 quid at PCX right now. Limited stocks available. These caps are perfect for the CD63 and you dont need to drill the PCB to fit - just solder about a centimeter length of wire. It helps to remove the remote bus switch that nobody ever uses.

To run 2 clocks, I found it worked well to get a small toroid with dual secondaries and build 2 separate PSUs on one compact board.

Yep, that's the way to do it! Single transformer and 2 psu's. will add about £10 to the price with decent components!!!
Old 17th October 2012, 02:50 PM   #18578
diyAudio Member

Hi All,
I finally fixed my CD53 issue. I changed most of the caps in power supply, DAC and opamp section. Now I am planning to replace diodes. Can MUR860 be replaced in D801..804, D811..D814, D851//854, DN01/02? Or What diodes I can go for? I have access to RS components or can get it from partsconnexion, Hificollective or please suggest me any online shop to buy? I dont have access to Mouser or Digikey.

Thanks
Badri

Last edited by badrisuper; 17th October 2012 at 02:57 PM.
Old 17th October 2012, 04:47 PM   #18579
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to Ben Hanke Send a message via Skype™ to Ben Hanke
I shop at all those places and they're all good. Just go with whoever can ship you the parts for less, I guess. eBay can be very cost effective for bits and bobs if you are careful who you buy from. If you go with a big store, maybe look ahead at your next mod and combine shipping with something else? RS are good for transformers.
Old 17th October 2012, 05:23 PM   #18580
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Hanke View Post

Cool! Thanks. I get the fleas.

Any reference for building the psu twins: )

Thanks

Hide this!Advertise here!