Marantz CD63 & CD67 mods list - Page 1855 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th October 2012, 05:11 PM   #18541
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to Ben Hanke Send a message via Skype™ to Ben Hanke
I listened to a high end system in a hi-fi store a couple of weeks ago. I was interested to hear how their Focal speakers compared with my B&Ws. The player hooked up to them was a very nice new Marantz SACD, and I didn't pay attention to the amp. I listened to some CDs and was not much impressed. The system sounded very 'digital' and thin to my ears. I kept my opinion to myself (no reason to be rude), thanked the dealer for the demo, and was about to leave when I noticed the speakers were plugged into an integrated DAC and amplifier which I later found was selling for no less than $16,000.
Old 12th October 2012, 05:35 PM   #18542
UV101 is offline UV101  England
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Hanke View Post
I listened to a high end system in a hi-fi store a couple of weeks ago. I was interested to hear how their Focal speakers compared with my B&Ws. The player hooked up to them was a very nice new Marantz SACD, and I didn't pay attention to the amp. I listened to some CDs and was not much impressed. The system sounded very 'digital' and thin to my ears. I kept my opinion to myself (no reason to be rude), thanked the dealer for the demo, and was about to leave when I noticed the speakers were plugged into an integrated DAC and amplifier which I later found was selling for no less than $16,000.
;-) ;-)

What focal speakers were they Ben?
Old 12th October 2012, 05:38 PM   #18543
diyAudio Member

Diablo Utopias, I think.
Old 13th October 2012, 04:24 PM   #18544
diyAudio Member

Slightly more up market than my 826v Wse's!!!! Wonder what your player would sound like with that amp and speakers!!!!!!!
Old 13th October 2012, 05:49 PM   #18545
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Hanke View Post
I'm hoping to cram them in the case, actually. I currently have a bunch of the 'off-piste' LM317 regulators with LEDs in there, but I'm working up to something better - just not sure what. I'd ideally like to build them myself because that's half the fun.
I wonder how you can squeeze all the Tx and regulators inside the case. If you have completed the work please post up a photo
Old 13th October 2012, 06:51 PM   #18546
diyAudio Member

Click the image to open in full size.

It can get very difficult to keep tidy lol ;-)

New DOS with modded CFB

Some later players with more space are a little easier.......

Old 13th October 2012, 06:54 PM   #18547
diyAudio Member

@UV101 I dunno, but the Marantz SACD was only being used as a transport. My system is polar opposite to that one - lots of VA, lots of large boutique caps, huge bass and a very analogue sound - very lifelike to my ears, and not much audible difference between CD and a new vinyl record. In fact if I queue the same album up on both sources and switch between them, most people can't tell which is which.

@higlander - No idea. Fingers crossed. Sure I'll post a pic when I work something out.

Edit: Wow Ian, that mega post came in while I was typing.
Old 13th October 2012, 10:21 PM   #18548
diyAudio Member

@UV101 - Wow, what a job !! I don't think I can do that . For me I really found it difficult to squeeze everything into the CD63 case BUT you did it !!
Old 14th October 2012, 07:02 AM   #18549
diyAudio Member

I cheated, that's a cd67 chassis which is a few mm wider than the 63!

Brent did get a similar amount into a 63. Ricardo's is also busy and Ben has already done a fair bit too
Old 14th October 2012, 08:15 AM   #18550
diyAudio Member

I'm working on getting the 5 PSUs safely into plastic boxes with rectifiers and stuff. The smoothing capacitors are the main problem right now. I should squeeze 3 down the right-hand side of my 63KI chassis and 2 along the front panel, or vice-versa.

Hide this!Advertise here!