Marantz CD63 & CD67 mods list - Page 1853 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th October 2012, 06:37 AM   #18521
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to Ben Hanke Send a message via Skype™ to Ben Hanke
@higlander: I connected the zeroes together on mine, but be sure to double check as Ian said.

@Puffin: If the input voltage is less than the regulator output plus the min dropout for the reg (see datasheet) then forget about it. For example, if the min dropout for a 7812 is 2 volts then you need an absolute bare minimum of 14 volts for it to function - ideally a tad more than just to be on the safe side.
Old 9th October 2012, 06:40 AM   #18522
Puffin is offline Puffin  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Hanke View Post
@higlander: I connected the zeroes together on mine, but be sure to double check as Ian said.

@Puffin: If the input voltage is less than the regulator output plus the min dropout for the reg (see datasheet) then forget about it. For example, if the min dropout for a 7812 is 2 volts then you need an absolute bare minimum of 14 volts for it to function - ideally a tad more than just to be on the safe side.
Doh! of course I forgot about the voltage drop Silly me.

Rob.
Old 9th October 2012, 11:19 AM   #18523
UV101 is offline UV101  England
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puffin View Post
Sorry don't know the position numbers without whipping the lid off

Does it matter?

EDIT: from memory there are 4 clustered together near where the HDAMS are/were, and some in other positions
I'm fairly sure it does matter?????? Seems a bit of a strange comment to be honest!!!
I would just replace random resistors with 12v regs as it will definitely make a different sound!!!!!!!!.....

......no don't do that!!!!!!!!!

Grab the circuit from the service manual and start to try and read it.

I think what you are asking is about the function of R651,652,653&654. These resistors are in the +-/12v supply to the HDAMs.
There are also similar resistors in the same supply to the opamps R613,614,615&616.

The 12v regs (Q801 & 802) supply area's of the player, HDAMs, output stage opamps and headphones Opamp. The resistors will act to protect the area they are supplying and fail under high current load in the event of a fault. They also help to separate the various devices connected to the supply and reduces the noise of 1 circuit effecting another. You could remove them and link them out which would remove the protection and separation and allow for faster high current delivery as and when its required or you could follow Rays list and replace them with inductors and ferrite beads. Ultimately, you may want to feed in separate regulators directly to each circuit.

Most people who have modded will have disabled the headphones stage by removing C901 &902 which will isolate the signal path and then remove the links U271 & 272 which will isolate the supply to the headphones Opamp. This means you now only have the HDAM and output stage running off the +/-12v regs.
If you have already taken the player to a reasonable level, you may have bypassed the HDAMs meaning you no longer need to supply power to them. In this case, you can remove R651-654 which will isolate them from the power supply.

Now you would only have the output stage supplied from the regs! These supplies are via R613-616. As previously stated, you could link out (short) or replace with inductors/ferrite or even now run 4 regs direct instead of Q801&2.

Hopefully the picture will help you to understand
Red arrows are for +12v and blue for -12v

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 9th October 2012, 01:52 PM   #18524
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UV101 View Post
I think Brent was running 15v regs and a DOS. The 18v tx will work but the regs will work harder and get hotter!

With respect to the transformer secondaries, connect the transformers up with out the secondary windings connected to the player. Configure the windings and check the voltages with a meter. If the windings start to get warm and the voltages are not as expected, then it's wrong. It depends on the transformer make and how it's wound but I'd start with 2&3 together

Use Brent's diagrams to make sure you have it connected correctly and check with the service manual
Thank you Ian for your advise.

You mentioned Brent's diagrams could you please show me the link where I can find it ? I cannot recall I have seen this diagram in the forum
Old 9th October 2012, 02:16 PM   #18525
diyAudio Member

I think Brent's diagrams show how he has the transformers individually connected for each discrete part of the circuit that has its own transformer.

The details for the transformer connectivity are in the service manual so if you've not got one yet, head on over to Rays site and grab a copy. You'll get a better response from most if you've attempted to understand what you are looking to do ;-)
Old 9th October 2012, 02:59 PM   #18526
Puffin is offline Puffin  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I'm fairly sure it does matter?????? Seems a bit of a strange comment to be honest!!!
I would just replace random resistors with 12v regs as it will definitely make a different sound!!!!!!!!.....

......no don't do that!!!!!!!!!

Grab the circuit from the service manual and start to try and read it.

I think what you are asking is about the function of R651,652,653&654. These resistors are in the +-/12v supply to the HDAMs.
There are also similar resistors in the same supply to the opamps R613,614,615&616.

The 12v regs (Q801 & 802) supply area's of the player, HDAMs, output stage opamps and headphones Opamp. The resistors will act to protect the area they are supplying and fail under high current load in the event of a fault. They also help to separate the various devices connected to the supply and reduces the noise of 1 circuit effecting another. You could remove them and link them out which would remove the protection and separation and allow for faster high current delivery as and when its required or you could follow Rays list and replace them with inductors and ferrite beads. Ultimately, you may want to feed in separate regulators directly to each circuit.

Most people who have modded will have disabled the headphones stage by removing C901 &902 which will isolate the signal path and then remove the links U271 & 272 which will isolate the supply to the headphones Opamp. This means you now only have the HDAM and output stage running off the +/-12v regs.
If you have already taken the player to a reasonable level, you may have bypassed the HDAMs meaning you no longer need to supply power to them. In this case, you can remove R651-654 which will isolate them from the power supply.

Now you would only have the output stage supplied from the regs! These supplies are via R613-616. As previously stated, you could link out (short) or replace with inductors/ferrite or even now run 4 regs direct instead of Q801&2.

Hopefully the picture will help you to understand
Red arrows are for +12v and blue for -12v

Click the image to open in full size.
Thanks for your reply. My comment was not meant to be flippant

I have disabled the HDAM circuit. I note what you say about now removing the resistors that supplied the now redundant HDAM circuit.

Thanks

Rob.
Old 9th October 2012, 05:06 PM   #18527
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I think Brent's diagrams show how he has the transformers individually connected for each discrete part of the circuit that has its own transformer.

The details for the transformer connectivity are in the service manual so if you've not got one yet, head on over to Rays site and grab a copy. You'll get a better response from most if you've attempted to understand what you are looking to do ;-)
Well, actually I have gone through the service manual but the CD63's stock transformer have combined secondaries in one unit. In my previous thread I have figured out how the connections are to be made and Ben has kindly confirmed to me that I am correct . However I need to be very sure the wiring connection of the 3 independent transformers to replace the stock transformer are 100% correct in order not to cause damages to my PCB where I had made certain modifications.

Ben has kindly confirmed that the wiring for the 3 Transformers are correct, i.e:
U305 - 12V in from 5VA Tx
U306 - 18V in from 15VA Tx
U307 - 18V in from 15VA Tx
U308 - 12V in from 50VA Tx
U309 - Ground for the 3 Tx
U310 - 12V in from 50VA Tx
U311 - 12V in from 5VA TX
U312 - 12V in after passing through the 16.4ohm resistor.

Hope you can also shed some light on it. Thanks.

Last edited by higlander; 9th October 2012 at 05:10 PM.
Old 9th October 2012, 06:57 PM   #18528
diyAudio Member

The windings are explained in the SE/KI manual

http://www.raylectronics.nl/manuals/..._SE_KI_doc.pdf

be careful as the winding connections you use for the display (U311 and U312) do not go to the gnd :-)
Old 9th October 2012, 09:30 PM   #18529
diyAudio Member

Thanks Ian,
Having checked against the SE/KI manual, I am quite sure the wiring for the 3 Tx in my presvious post is correct.
Old 11th October 2012, 08:46 PM   #18530
diyAudio Member

Default re diodes

Been doing a comparison test on diodes for the psu anyone tried vishay 1n5062 im amazed by them, tried hexfreds and few others .Any thoughts .

thx alan
Also ive changed lm4562s to lme49720s better opamp before i go to dos left it to settle for a few weeks now the itch is back???

Last edited by bikeral10; 11th October 2012 at 09:09 PM. Reason: more info

Hide this!Advertise here!