Marantz CD63 & CD67 mods list - Page 1850 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 3rd October 2012, 01:53 PM   #18491
diyAudio Member

lol All the N and AC ranges are non polar

Brent
Old 3rd October 2012, 02:14 PM   #18492
diyAudio Member

Its non polarised. Between, if I use .47 in place of .1 will it improve? Has anyone tried this before?

Thanks
Badri
Old 3rd October 2012, 04:44 PM   #18493
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to Ben Hanke Send a message via Skype™ to Ben Hanke
Captain Noob here - based on some of my less successful experiences, I wouldn't personally advise replacing any of the small ceramic decoupling caps with Black Gates. Also be aware that the BG NXs will likely take a long time to settle in (roughly a gajillion years), especially if they've never been used before. I personally really like the 470uF FKs on the DAC analogue supplies, where I found they really made a difference in my player. I put NXs on all the digital supplies more because it seemed like a good idea and they fit nicely with the very little room that the FKs allow. I can't say I necessarily heard a big improvement from them though.
Old 3rd October 2012, 04:50 PM   #18494
diyAudio Member

I am a beginner with less knowledge in electronics. Can you please tell me exactly the postion where I can use? I dont understand which is digital supply.

Thanks
Badri
Old 3rd October 2012, 05:58 PM   #18495
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to Ben Hanke Send a message via Skype™ to Ben Hanke
If you look at page 6 of the service manual, there is a diagram of the DAC pins and a table listing what each one does. Each of the power supply pins has a ground to go with it, and if you trace back along both tracks on the PCB or the schematic on page 10 you'll see one ceramic and one electrolytic capacitor bridging the two. The ceramic caps are non-polar and can go either way, whereas the electrolytics have a dot on the ground side where the cathode goes.

So, for example, pin 16 = Power Supply (Digital) and 15 = GND (Digital). They're decoupled by CD06 and CD07.

If you trace further back the +'ve tracks you'll see that all of these supplies are ultimately connected to a single shared rail, usually connected by a resistor. If you remove these resistors, you can feed separate regulated supplies to the analogue and digital pins of each chip. You can then put the best decoupling cap for the job for each supply type, e.g. something like a Black Gate STD/FK/Silmic/etc. works well on the analogue supplies and something like a Sanyo OSCON/BG NX on the digital.

I hope this helps.
Old 3rd October 2012, 09:25 PM   #18496
lymmlad is offline lymmlad  England
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Hanke View Post
If you look at the service manual there are some small value caps in the filter around the op-amps. The values are all measured in pF rather than uF. They're film caps in the CD63 - brown or orange blobs if I remember correctly. You'll see them if you take the lid off. C601 - C604 are some examples - the full list is in the datasheet. I swapped those for 1% silver mica in my player.
Ben, thanks very much for this.
Old 5th October 2012, 05:02 PM   #18497
diyAudio Member

Today I changed few caps and powered on. No smoke but cd is not playing. Everything is working except it is not reading CD. What have done wrong. Help.

Thanks
Badri
Old 5th October 2012, 05:14 PM   #18498
diyAudio Member

I am getting an Error Code: ERR 10 [Radial Error]. What does it mean. Any serious mistake I have done?
Old 5th October 2012, 05:43 PM   #18499
diyAudio Member

I checked now by going into service mode. Its showing ERR 02. Focus is on but. I have no clue what would be the fault.
Old 5th October 2012, 05:48 PM   #18500
diyAudio Member

In C803/4 = 1000uf/50v Elna Silmic
C805/6 = 1000uf/16v BG STD
C814 = stock [1000uf/16v elna silmic]
C813 = stock [4700uf/16v elna silmic]
C815 = 4700uf/16v BG STD
C611..14 = 220uf/16v BG STD
CD15/16 = 220uf/16v BG STD
CD05/06 = 220uf/16v BG STD
Opam = LM4562NA

These are the changes I have done so far..

Hide this!Advertise here!