Marantz CD63 & CD67 mods list - Page 1845 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st September 2012, 08:41 PM   #18441
mcd99uk is offline mcd99uk  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puffin View Post
Probably not. Not sure that I can be bothered to take the whole board out again. I have added the regs by snipping the legs of the resistors and surface mounting them. Much less hassle

Rob.
I know what you mean. I'm adding screw terminals to my regs to allow removal for further mods at a later date. Otherwise, I too would not remove the board.My plans are to add regs and transformers and then do the co ax mod and call it a day on the 67. I'm half tempted though to do another CD player afterwards.
Old 22nd September 2012, 09:36 PM   #18442
diyAudio Member

I have just completed modding my CD63 and 2 photos are uploaded here for reference.

In brief I have carried out the following changes:

Disable the entire HDAM;
Disable the phones circuit;
Replace the two opamps with two Burson discrete opamps;
Replace C813 and C814 with 22000uF caps;
Replace Q801 and Q802 with + and - 15V SPower low noise regulators;
Replace C803 and C804 with 10000uF caps;
Replace C805 and C806 with 470uF caps;
Replace CD15 & CD16 with 470uF caps;
Replace CD04 and CD07 with 470uF caps;
Fitted 5V low noise regulated supply to DAC;
Fitted a 16.934MHz low jitter clock (with own filtered power supply) to DAC;
Replace C510 and C511 with 470uF caps;
Fitted 5V low noise regulated supply to Decoder;
Fitted a 8.46Mhz low jitter clock (with own filtered power supply) to Servo;
Replace C120 and C122 with 470uF caps;
Fitted 5V low noise regulated supply to Servo;
Fitted 5V low noise regulated supply to RF section;
Fitted 5V low noise regulated supply to HF section;
Shielded (and earthed) all the ICs and the two low jitter clocks with thin copper sheets; and
insert an IEC socket for the main power supply.

(The 5V independent voltage supply to the DAC; the Decoder; the Servo; the RF and HF sections are being sourced from five low noise LT1763-5 regulators.)

Now the CD63 has transformed into an excellent CDP. The background is extremely quiet; the bass is extremely tight and extended; the SQ is very analogue with excellent transparency and soundstaging; the mid range is particularly warm and pleasant to hearing. The CD63 can now reproduce all the very minor details in the HF range but will not cause any hearing fatigue.

In the next step I will remove the stock transformer and replace it by three transformers, i.e. 50VA 2x12V; 30VA 2x15V and a 1.6VA 2x12V transformer to totally separate the source to different circuits. The only problem is for me to figure out how to fit them into the limited available spaces.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1010502.jpg (658.3 KB, 171 views)
File Type: jpg P1010503.jpg (640.1 KB, 162 views)

Last edited by Bigvoice; 22nd September 2012 at 09:52 PM.
Old 23rd September 2012, 06:44 AM   #18443
Puffin is offline Puffin  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Nice job. In addition to the bits I have done I fitted some Audio GD discrete op-amps (forgot to mention that in my prvious post). Not sure if they are any better than a good quality BB or AD etc, but they certainly look the part
Old 23rd September 2012, 08:13 AM   #18444
lymmlad is offline lymmlad  England
diyAudio Member

Lovely work, Bigv. And your separate transformers will push its performance to the next level. Where will you be mounting the tranformers, btw?
Old 23rd September 2012, 08:17 AM   #18445
diyAudio Member

Edit: Sorry, I did not read the last line of your post. I had a late night last night. Duh!
Old 23rd September 2012, 09:47 AM   #18446
RCruz is offline RCruz  Switzerland
diyAudio Member

Hi Ray

Can a jitter filter like this one https://www.silabs.com/Support%20Doc...ocs/Si5317.pdf be used in the CD53 ?
Old 23rd September 2012, 02:00 PM   #18447
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lymmlad View Post
Edit: Sorry, I did not read the last line of your post. I had a late night last night. Duh!
No problem at all. Actually I have placed order for the said 3 transformers.
I think I will place them at the back of the CD drive unit near to the power supply IEC socket. I will upload a few photos when I have completed the project, hopefully within the next 2 weeks.
Old 23rd September 2012, 02:09 PM   #18448
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCruz View Post
Hi Ray

Can a jitter filter like this one https://www.silabs.com/Support%20Doc...ocs/Si5317.pdf be used in the CD53 ?
TBH I don't think it is necessary to have such filter in CD53 or CD63. A decent low jitter clock with its own power supply should be good enough. BTW this surface mount IC is 6mmX6mm which is too small to solder.
The voltage regulators I used is 4mmX3mm with 8 feet on it. see the data sheet http://cds.linear.com/docs/Datasheet/1763fg.pdf
I can tell you the soldering work is not easy at all.

Last edited by Bigvoice; 23rd September 2012 at 02:12 PM.
Old 23rd September 2012, 03:32 PM   #18449
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigvoice View Post
No problem at all. Actually I have placed order for the said 3 transformers.
I think I will place them at the back of the CD drive unit near to the power supply IEC socket. I will upload a few photos when I have completed the project, hopefully within the next 2 weeks.
I am in a similar position to you in terms of modifying, except you are a bit ahead of me. I originally started working my way through Ray's original list, but then changed direction and moved more towards Brent's list.

What I've decided to do, in conjunction with my CD guru who is helping me through this I am a dangerous novice and can't tackle this on my own is to mount the transformers and power supplies in a separate case. I bought a fully-working 63SE on ebay for 50 and have stripped the innards (and now have some valuable back-up components as a bonus delicate ribbon connectors spring to mind). This will be my case for the transformers and power supplies (diodes, smoothing caps).

Aesthetically, it will look good as a matching pair with 1 sitting on top of the other, transformers on top. Early on, power will be going to 2 cases, but gradually as all transformers are mounted in the 1 box, power will eventually only run to 1 when finished.

As you are doing, I'll post my findings on here as I progress.

Good luck!
Old 23rd September 2012, 07:32 PM   #18450
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lymmlad View Post
I am in a similar position to you in terms of modifying, except you are a bit ahead of me. I originally started working my way through Ray's original list, but then changed direction and moved more towards Brent's list.

What I've decided to do, in conjunction with my CD guru who is helping me through this I am a dangerous novice and can't tackle this on my own is to mount the transformers and power supplies in a separate case. I bought a fully-working 63SE on ebay for 50 and have stripped the innards (and now have some valuable back-up components as a bonus delicate ribbon connectors spring to mind). This will be my case for the transformers and power supplies (diodes, smoothing caps).

Aesthetically, it will look good as a matching pair with 1 sitting on top of the other, transformers on top. Early on, power will be going to 2 cases, but gradually as all transformers are mounted in the 1 box, power will eventually only run to 1 when finished.

As you are doing, I'll post my findings on here as I progress.

Good luck!
Right. Your approach to separate the power supply from the player actually will be better than putting a few more transformers in the same case as there will be less interference and you can have lots of working spaces and can try various means to ensure the power supply is stable, smooth and with minimum of noise.

Like your goodself my modification is base on Brent's list that has saved me a lot of time in figuring out the mods myself. Actually Brent has also recommended separating the power supply from the player in his list.

Good luck to you as well and do post some photos here for experience sharing.

Hide this!Advertise here!