Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th September 2012, 08:05 PM   #18431
Puffin is offline Puffin  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

I have taken the supply for the regs from C813. This is where I have inserted the RE. I would have liked to have put it before the reg, but it would, for me, have been too much messing about.
Old 19th September 2012, 08:47 PM   #18432
diyAudio Member

Default re ripple eater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puffin View Post
I have taken the supply for the regs from C813. This is where I have inserted the RE. I would have liked to have put it before the reg, but it would, for me, have been too much messing about.
Dont see the point, Clean supply for each rail yes over complicated no.
alan
Old 19th September 2012, 09:44 PM   #18433
diyAudio Member

Default regs

Spowers yes cheaper way lm317s with leds cheap to build
alan
Old 19th September 2012, 09:53 PM   #18434
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Have you fixed it?
yes, I have found and solved the problem. The connection is OK but I found a cold joint in one of the supplies in R123. After re-soldered the joint everything works like a charm.
For your information I have independent regulated 5V supply to the servo; the RF section; the HF section; DAC; and decoder. I have also changed the + and - 12V regulators for the analogue section with + and - 12V low noise voltage regulators.

For the 5V regulators I used LT1763-5. It is a small surface mount chip having very low noise level according to the data sheet. See the attached photo.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1010495.jpg (631.8 KB, 142 views)
Old 20th September 2012, 06:13 AM   #18435
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigvoice View Post
yes, I have found and solved the problem. The connection is OK but I found a cold joint in one of the supplies in R123. After re-soldered the joint everything works like a charm.
For your information I have independent regulated 5V supply to the servo; the RF section; the HF section; DAC; and decoder. I have also changed the + and - 12V regulators for the analogue section with + and - 12V low noise voltage regulators.

For the 5V regulators I used LT1763-5. It is a small surface mount chip having very low noise level according to the data sheet. See the attached photo.
Nice.
Old 21st September 2012, 05:04 PM   #18436
diyAudio Member

Just added some more 7805s (standard) a total of 7 so far (fancy ones and standard) SQ is definitely better

There are some resistors that carry 12v (measured at 11.60 or therabouts) is there anything to be gained by adding 12v regs in place of these? I am not sure if a 12v reg is possible given that the voltage is slightly less that 12v?

Rob.
Old 21st September 2012, 05:16 PM   #18437
mcd99uk is offline mcd99uk  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Just added some more 7805s (standard) a total of 7 so far (fancy ones and standard) SQ is definitely better

There are some resistors that carry 12v (measured at 11.60 or therabouts) is there anything to be gained by adding 12v regs in place of these? I am not sure if a 12v reg is possible given that the voltage is slightly less that 12v?

Rob.
In what way would you say it has improved?
Old 21st September 2012, 07:20 PM   #18438
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcd99uk View Post
In what way would you say it has improved?
I have done all the most popular mods in addition to the regs (by-passing HDAMs, up-grading PS caps, removing muting transistors, adding by-pass caps to various parts of the DAC chip, grounding the crystal, and other bits and pieces)

So my comment regarding the regs should be read in this context.

Prior to adding the regs I was of the opinion that the '63 was a rather forward sounding player and that this was possibly masking the finer detail that for me makes the listening experience. Adding the regs has made it fuller bodied and more organic. For me a much more pleasant listening experience.

As the player was only 20 and I have spent about 30 on it, it is not bad at all.
Old 21st September 2012, 07:42 PM   #18439
mcd99uk is offline mcd99uk  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I have done all the most popular mods in addition to the regs (by-passing HDAMs, up-grading PS caps, removing muting transistors, adding by-pass caps to various parts of the DAC chip, grounding the crystal, and other bits and pieces)

So my comment regarding the regs should be read in this context.

Prior to adding the regs I was of the opinion that the '63 was a rather forward sounding player and that this was possibly masking the finer detail that for me makes the listening experience. Adding the regs has made it fuller bodied and more organic. For me a much more pleasant listening experience.

As the player was only 20 and I have spent about 30 on it, it is not bad at all.
Sounds good to me.And to have done it for 50 quid is a bonus. Think I'm up to about 200 all in. My CD67 is a bit harsh at present. Have done much the same mods to it as you have to your CD63 except I've added a Kwak clock. Sounds much better than it used to but can't seem to listen to it for long.

I'm in the process of building my regs and having read your experiences I can't wait to hear the results.

Are you going to do the co-ax mods?
Old 21st September 2012, 08:14 PM   #18440
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcd99uk View Post
Are you going to do the co-ax mods?
Probably not. Not sure that I can be bothered to take the whole board out again. I have added the regs by snipping the legs of the resistors and surface mounting them. Much less hassle

Rob.

Hide this!Advertise here!