Marantz CD63 & CD67 mods list - Page 1838 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th September 2012, 04:24 PM   #18371
mcd99uk is offline mcd99uk  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

The regulators I'm planning on making are similar to Puffin's except I plan to use either LM317 or LT317. Just trying to decide whether the difference in output noise (0.003% vs 0.001%) is worth the extra expense. What do people think? Will the difference in noise translate to an audible difference? It appeared, according to LTSpice that the tracking prereg didn't have any significant performance advantage over a more basic regulator.

Ray,
Will be doing the experiment tonight to see if the noise I'm seeing is real or not. Will report back...

Cheers,

Paul
Old 4th September 2012, 06:28 PM   #18372
6h5c is offline 6h5c  Netherlands
One Seriously Addicted to Audio and Electronics
diyAudio Member

Hi Paul,

Ok, I expect it to be fine. The noise is probably coming from all over the place. The standard regs generally don't oscillate, not even with huge caps on the output.

As for the LT317, if they are only a few bucks more expensive i'd say go for it. Less noise is better, but I must add that in the player's digital section it is not as important as for analog. The main goal for digital is to separate the various IC's from each other and keep the noise they generate from spreading.

Ray
Old 4th September 2012, 06:51 PM   #18373
Puffin is offline Puffin  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Ok, so I added a reg next to the oscillator (in the position shown in the Acoustica pic) and 2 more at random really. One replacing a 4.7k near the Servo area and one near the bottom of the board (near the flat ribbon cable thingy)

Initial impressions were that it sounded different, good different, not bad different!

I have a total bass reproduction area of 92" and as you can imagine bass is very important to me. I thought that the bass was a bit dry, punchy but less full.

I played the Gotan Project - Il Lunatico CD. If you know this CD you will know that it has great dynamics and bass. Track 11 felt like I was being pummelled by pnematic drills and air hammers, so dynamic, deep and tight was the bass. At one point something fell off the wall! proof that the walls were really moving. I am lucky enough to have my own room I constructed over 4 months last year and so I can go deaf and many other things induced by loud music, with no worry about troubling the neighbours!

My question is, is it worth fitting the remaining 14 regs (I hear that there are a possible 17 you can fit?) If I lose the SQ I have right now I will be disappointed.

Rob.
Old 4th September 2012, 07:54 PM   #18374
diyAudio Member

An Observation:

It seems that once you have removed the 4.7k resistor, there is one pad that is the correct one to connect the new supply to. However if you put your DMM on the vacant pad (or severed resistor leg) it still reads 5.5v?
Old 4th September 2012, 09:14 PM   #18375
mcd99uk is offline mcd99uk  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Experiment conducted. It seems, Ray, you were correct. I have learnt something. I tried making a single turn loop of different sizes using the scope leads and could see a difference in noise measurement. Conclusion there is still noise but not as much as I thought.

While I was at it I decided to complete the component changes detailed on your PDF. Now I'm ready to start creating and adding regulators. Was thinking that the DAC should get 4 LT317 based regs and the Opamps get 2 LT317 + 2 LT337 based regs as well. The rest of the CD player will get LM317 regs.
Old 5th September 2012, 02:42 PM   #18376
RCruz is offline RCruz  Switzerland
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puffin View Post

I thought that the bass was a bit dry, punchy but less full.

Track 11 felt like I was being pummelled by pnematic drills and air hammers, so dynamic, deep and tight was the bass.

My question is, is it worth fitting the remaining 14 regs (I hear that there are a possible 17 you can fit?) If I lose the SQ I have right now I will be disappointed.

Rob.
Hi Rob... when you add definition, initially you can feel the system to be less full, but as per your last comments you know now bass is there... just more tight.

Keep up the good work... I only stopped at 11 regs because my machine became too full and difficult to mod.
Old 5th September 2012, 03:30 PM   #18377
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puffin View Post
An Observation:

It seems that once you have removed the 4.7k resistor, there is one pad that is the correct one to connect the new supply to. However if you put your DMM on the vacant pad (or severed resistor leg) it still reads 5.5v?
Yes, of course... that is the original supply voltage.

It's 4.7 ohm by the way, not 4.7k
Old 5th September 2012, 03:37 PM   #18378
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcd99uk View Post
Experiment conducted. It seems, Ray, you were correct. I have learnt something. I tried making a single turn loop of different sizes using the scope leads and could see a difference in noise measurement. Conclusion there is still noise but not as much as I thought.

While I was at it I decided to complete the component changes detailed on your PDF. Now I'm ready to start creating and adding regulators. Was thinking that the DAC should get 4 LT317 based regs and the Opamps get 2 LT317 + 2 LT337 based regs as well. The rest of the CD player will get LM317 regs.
Ok, I thought it would be like that. If you want to measure the real regulator noise, you have to do it in a controlled environment, not in a CD player with lots of noisy digital circuitry inside

Looks good on the regs!

Ray
Old 5th September 2012, 04:46 PM   #18379
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6h5c View Post

What you have to realise is that I am now blind and stupid through years of solder sniffing Now I know why I could not get a reading off the resistors (even when off the board) using 20k setting!!!

Ah well.....more regs to go

Rob.
Old 5th September 2012, 04:47 PM   #18380
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6h5c View Post

Stupid question/quote time: I thought that the resistor was dropping the voltage from 12v to 5v?

Hide this!Advertise here!