Marantz CD63 & CD67 mods list - Page 1837 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 3rd September 2012, 07:53 PM   #18361
Puffin is offline Puffin  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Just fixed my error. Will have a listen tomorrow.

I am using a DIY "super regulator" that was the subject of a thread on Pink Fish Media. I think Martin (Acoustica) had some input into it. It uses a 7805, so no "magic smoke" hopefully.

Pic of schematic here. There was an error on one of the pics (and it may be this one? - the tranny was shown the wrong way round) (mine are the right way round )

Click the image to open in full size.

Old 4th September 2012, 06:12 AM   #18362
6h5c is offline 6h5c  Netherlands
One Seriously Addicted to Audio and Electronics
diyAudio Member

The tranny is o.k. but the 10k resistor on the right can't be correct... It's in series with the output, so there won't be much voltage left behind it under load. I think it's not supposed to be there, I don't see it on the board in the other pictures.

It's basically a standard setup with a capacitance multiplier in front of it. Nice cheapo but effective way to reduce noise . If you use 7805 you won't have to worry about the output voltage.

Ray

Last edited by 6h5c; 4th September 2012 at 06:17 AM.
Old 4th September 2012, 09:03 AM   #18363
diyAudio Member

Hi All,
I bought Marantz CD53 recently. It works well. I want to mod the player. First start with the basic mod. As mentioned in the thread all the 63 mods can be applied. I want to first upgrade PSU mod. I am not able to go through all the pages. Can you please help in modding PSU first? And can you please list me what are the mods can be done in CD53?

Thanks
Badri
Old 4th September 2012, 09:12 AM   #18364
RCruz is offline RCruz  Switzerland
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6h5c View Post
After modding a Marantz CD63 and a CD67OSE I decided to make a list of all the various mod's I found here and elsewhere on the internet.
I'd like to donate my files to this forum, for all to enjoy!

Of course I do not pretend this list to be complete.
This is all I've done to the players so far and more good tips are welcome!

Greetings,

Ray.
Quote:
Originally Posted by badrisuper View Post
Hi All,
I bought Marantz CD53 recently. It works well. I want to mod the player. First start with the basic mod. As mentioned in the thread all the 63 mods can be applied. I want to first upgrade PSU mod. I am not able to go through all the pages. Can you please help in modding PSU first? And can you please list me what are the mods can be done in CD53?

Thanks
Badri
Just go to post 1 and follow the pdf
Old 4th September 2012, 09:35 AM   #18365
UV101 is offline UV101  England
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puffin View Post
Just fixed my error. Will have a listen tomorrow.

I am using a DIY "super regulator" that was the subject of a thread on Pink Fish Media. I think Martin (Acoustica) had some input into it. It uses a 7805, so no "magic smoke" hopefully.

Pic of schematic here. There was an error on one of the pics (and it may be this one? - the tranny was shown the wrong way round) (mine are the right way round )
Wow! Not seen that before! In what way is it "super"? Even aside the massive resistor on the output how does throttling the input to the reg assist? I'm no expert but I'd say someone posted that circuit on April fools day!!!
Old 4th September 2012, 09:38 AM   #18366
diyAudio Member

Hi Badri,

All the mods for the 63 can be applied to the 53. Look on my website for more recent modslist. The one for the 63-KI is the most fancy one.

You should start by upgrading the capacitors and rectifier diodes in the power supply. Then upgrade the capacitors around the IC's. Remove the muting transistors and the output capacitors. Add a decent clock. For the 53, add some low-drop 8V regulators for the +/- 10V driver voltage and increase the capacitors for those voltages, or add an extra transformer for the driver section. Upgrade the filter components around the opamps and the opamps too. Or go fancy right away and add a DOS output stage that replaces all the opamp circuitry.

It will already be a completely different player after this, in a positive sense

Regards,

Ray
Old 4th September 2012, 09:47 AM   #18367
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UV101 View Post
Wow! Not seen that before! In what way is it "super"? Even aside the massive resistor on the output how does throttling the input to the reg assist? I'm no expert but I'd say someone posted that circuit on April fools day!!!
Hi Ian,

The 10k output R is a typo I guess

It's a very simple but effective circuit, the transistor acts as a voltage follower AKA emitter follower. Any voltage on the base is present at the emitter, minus the Ube voltage drop, which is about 0.65V. The voltage on the base is created by the low-pass filter 10k/3u3. This is a 5Hz filter, so the DC voltage there is quite quiet . The transistor buffers this voltage and provides the current needed by the circuit behind it, which flows in from the collector.

There's a nice article on Acoustica.org.uk, see part two of 'Using three-pin regulators'. The Flea also uses this as a front-end

Ray

Last edited by 6h5c; 4th September 2012 at 09:53 AM.
Old 4th September 2012, 10:26 AM   #18368
UV101 is offline UV101  England
diyAudio Member

Thanks Ray, I've learned something today!!!! I'll have a read over on martins page a bit later
Old 4th September 2012, 01:35 PM   #18369
Puffin is offline Puffin  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

I should have said that the schematic I used does not have the 10k on the output, as per the pic of my reg resting on a cork.
Old 4th September 2012, 02:13 PM   #18370
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UV101 View Post
Thanks Ray, I've learned something today!!!! I'll have a read over on martins page a bit later
Great! Glad to be of help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puffin View Post
I should have said that the schematic I used does not have the 10k on the output, as per the pic of my reg resting on a cork.
I figured that already as I didn't see the extra resistor in the cork-pic. Besides that, the regulator can't possibly work with the 10k in place

A new type of 'floating' regulator

Hide this!Advertise here!