Marantz CD63 & CD67 mods list - Page 1815 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 3rd May 2012, 03:28 AM   #18141
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to Ben Hanke Send a message via Skype™ to Ben Hanke
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikeral10 View Post
Ben do you have a design for an lm317 5v reg that works ive tried a few and all failures.
cheers alan . ps what part of the west mids did u come from ?.
Hey Alan, I've built these so far with no probs. I use solid tantalum caps.

I'm originally from Kinver, near Stourbridge
Old 3rd May 2012, 03:00 PM   #18142
Puffin is offline Puffin  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lymmlad View Post
Putting my drink down for a minute... and here's the reality check... after all these modifications will the player actually sound BETTER or just DIFFERENT?
Can't tell you as I got mine for £20 and never listened to it before modding

From experience and talking as a "serial modder" they can sound better or just different. I just love tinkering and I think that because you have done it yourself, and the patient has survived (hopefully) it DOES sound Soooooo much better

Rob.
PS Where in the UK are you?
Old 3rd May 2012, 03:41 PM   #18143
lymmlad is offline lymmlad  England
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puffin View Post
PS Where in the UK are you?
Hi Rob,

I live in the north west, near Warrington.
Old 3rd May 2012, 04:04 PM   #18144
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puffin View Post
From experience and talking as a "serial modder" they can sound better or just different.
...or worse, don't forget worse! They can sound better, worse or just different. I think that covers everything. Oh yeah, or silent.

I've been through all of the above. Mine sounded like it was trying to take off at one point. Now it sounds much better than stock to me. I guess the key word in the original question was 'after', i.e. how does it sound when you have finished modding? If you are committed and you draw on the knowledge in this forum then you are most likely to keep going until it sounds better. The bigger question is will there ever be an 'after'?
Old 3rd May 2012, 04:12 PM   #18145
lymmlad is offline lymmlad  England
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Hanke View Post
...or worse, don't forget worse! They can sound better, worse or just different. I think that covers everything. Oh yeah, or silent.
Yes, good points... I hadn't considered the alternatives of 'worse' and 'silent'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Hanke View Post
I've been through all of the above. Mine sounded like it was trying to take off at one point. Now it sounds much better than stock to me. I guess the key word in the original question was 'after', i.e. how does it sound when you have finished modding? If you are committed and you draw on the knowledge in this forum then you are most likely to keep going until it sounds better. The bigger question is will there ever be an 'after'?
I see what you mean... when you start modding it can become a continuous process. Will we ever finish?
I'm looking forward to it!
Old 3rd May 2012, 04:50 PM   #18146
SimontY is offline SimontY  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to SimontY
Good points. They can sound worse before eventually sounding better again if you commit to making it sound right to your own ears.
Old 9th May 2012, 08:43 PM   #18147
diyAudio Member

Hey guys, I've started ordering DOS parts, working pretty much off Brent's list. I ordered some matched pairs of 2SK170BL, but now realize that they probably should've been 2SK170GR. Is that right? I read that the difference is something to do with current range.

I'm getting 1% Cornell Dubilier silver micas for the signal caps, although I was tempted with the SGM 0.3% mica-in-oil ones. I remember some of you were looking at the Amtrans caps too.

I'm not sure if I really need to fit DC blocking caps, as I have the 3.3uF Silver Oils after my amp's input selector switch.

Any more good DOS experiments lately? Any more component ideas for a no-holds-barred DOS build? :-)
Old 9th May 2012, 11:39 PM   #18148
UV101 is offline UV101  England
diyAudio Member

Most important for the DOS are decent regs (thats not 317 type!!!)

Seriously, I've just put 9 of my regs in a 67 for a pal that had the usual cap treatment along with a clock, clock psu and output stage upgrade. It was really quite something.

If you want really hi-end, you need decent regs ;-)
Old 10th May 2012, 07:09 AM   #18149
diyAudio Member

Yep, understood Ian, I'll most likely get some SPowers. I'm mulling the external PSU too. I hope someone can shed some light on those 2SK170s for me - i.e. are all blues OK or do I need greens? Is anyone else building a DOS right now? It's expensive sourcing small numbers of parts bit by bit.

Do you build your regs yourself, Ian?

Last edited by Ben Hanke; 10th May 2012 at 07:13 AM.
Old 10th May 2012, 08:47 AM   #18150
UV101 is offline UV101  England
diyAudio Member

Yep, after the 12th or 13th SPower and realising their massive (understatement) benifits over anything the same size, I set about building my own similar regs. There are other regs which are good like the 317 tracking pre reg but its more difficult to build them small.

Not sure about the 170's. I think the gain may be different on different type (something a poss remember Lee saying to me at some point) so as long as they are all the same type you should be OK. Use Brents mod on the CCS and use RC55Y resistors. Thats what I use and I think Brent the same. If you were feeling really posh, you could use Z-Foil resistors in the filter!!!! I use silvered mica caps in the filter, I think Ray preferers styrene. Final part of the puzzle is the output cap. I use Mundorf Supreme 4.7uF. You really get what you pay for here but its a personal choice. I think Brent now runs Supreme silver/gold/oil......I'm too scared to look up the price of those!!!!

Hide this!Advertise here!