Marantz CD63 & CD67 mods list - Page 1811 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th April 2012, 10:22 PM   #18101
diyAudio Member

I agree with UV101: don't replace laser unit, it's hard to get a replacement that's of good quality. And you will hear the differance! Better to buy a second hand player with a good laser unit, then you get the ribbon cables as well.
Old 14th April 2012, 08:49 PM   #18102
lymmlad is offline lymmlad  England
diyAudio Member

I've been watching/viewing this thread in awe of many of you on here for some months now... whilst salivating at the prospect of modifying my own Marantz CD63 M'k 2 KIS. It has given me many years' enjoyment; but I appreciate its potential for musical enjoyment is far greater than what it has been producing so far. Plus it sounds a fun thing to do!

Unfortunately I don't have much technical or electrical engineering knowledge and wondered whether anyone else (with more knowledge than me!) was considering embarking on tweaking their CD63. If so, could I hook up with that person(s) and we do this simultaneously and suffer solder burns together? I live in the north west of the UK and it would help if the other(s) were nearby.

I recently went through a similar modifying process with my turntable/arm/cartridge (and other elements of my system) and the musical results are vastly better. Fortunately I had a hi-fi wizard to help and guide me (and I learnt a vast amount in the process); but my guru has no enthusiasm for CDPs.

You could consider me an enthusiastic amateur who is willing to learn. Any takers?
Old 16th April 2012, 08:26 PM   #18103
diyAudio Member

Wink re mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by lymmlad View Post
I've been watching/viewing this thread in awe of many of you on here for some months now... whilst salivating at the prospect of modifying my own Marantz CD63 M'k 2 KIS. It has given me many years' enjoyment; but I appreciate its potential for musical enjoyment is far greater than what it has been producing so far. Plus it sounds a fun thing to do!

Unfortunately I don't have much technical or electrical engineering knowledge and wondered whether anyone else (with more knowledge than me!) was considering embarking on tweaking their CD63. If so, could I hook up with that person(s) and we do this simultaneously and suffer solder burns together? I live in the north west of the UK and it would help if the other(s) were nearby.

I recently went through a similar modifying process with my turntable/arm/cartridge (and other elements of my system) and the musical results are vastly better. Fortunately I had a hi-fi wizard to help and guide me (and I learnt a vast amount in the process); but my guru has no enthusiasm for CDPs.

You could consider me an enthusiastic amateur who is willing to learn. Any takers?
G0 to page 1 [rays mods] as a starter any questions just ask forsure someone will give you guidance.
Old 16th April 2012, 09:25 PM   #18104
diyAudio Member

Hi bikeral,

I'll have a look and see whether it is within my capabilities. Many thanks for the offer of guidance.
Old 18th April 2012, 08:04 AM   #18105
diyAudio Member

Default more info

Quote:
Hi bikeral,

I'll have a look and see whether it is within my capabilities. Many thanks for the offer of guidance.
Another place to look is stickys threads and look @ fidelity audio ( brents list) thats got all the info you need. when you get to digtal source its the first in the list.
cheers alan
Old 19th April 2012, 05:41 PM   #18106
diyAudio Member

I checked out ray's mods list but they are just numbers to me! I wouldn't know where to start with this. I will need some close guidance otherwise I may do some damage... I'm an amateur, remember.

I may need to wait and hopefully someone will come along who knows considerably more than me and we can do this together. I will willingly pay more than my share for parts in recognition of the other's knowledge.
Old 20th April 2012, 09:33 PM   #18107
Puffin is offline Puffin  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I checked out ray's mods list but they are just numbers to me! I wouldn't know where to start with this. I will need some close guidance otherwise I may do some damage... I'm an amateur, remember.

I may need to wait and hopefully someone will come along who knows considerably more than me and we can do this together. I will willingly pay more than my share for parts in recognition of the other's knowledge.
If you want the satisfaction that modding can bring, you have to get that "brown trouser" moment or you will not get anywhere.

Get yourself a beaten up CD63 or something (I picked one up recently for£20) start by replacing some of the power supply caps and test each modification before moving onto the next. Then move on to say, replacing the op-amps. Invest in a desoldering iron from Maplin (other stores are available) they are an invaluable tool.

Rob.
Old 21st April 2012, 02:38 AM   #18108
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to Ben Hanke Send a message via Skype™ to Ben Hanke
I didn't know the first thing about it either when I started. All the info you need is here. For my part, the one tool I wish I'd had from the get-go was my solder sucker. Oh yeah, and get yourself a decent digital multimeter - the continuity checker is invaluable for debugging.
Old 21st April 2012, 02:04 PM   #18109
bigerik is offline bigerik  Canada
diyAudio Member

Well, dammit. My "new", to me anyway, CD-63 KI, that I've wanted for years over here, has a bad laser. Anyone have any recommendations? Tech said the part number is PND 320u. Just wanna make sure I'm talking about the right part.
Thanks!
Old 21st April 2012, 02:43 PM   #18110
hotiron is offline hotiron  Scotland
diyAudio Member

The phillips part no is CDM12.1 You can get off ebay pretty cheap.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Marantz-CD...ash=item1c261a

Last edited by hotiron; 21st April 2012 at 02:45 PM.

Hide this!Advertise here!