Marantz CD63 & CD67 mods list - Page 1793 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th February 2012, 12:00 PM   #17921
UV101 is offline UV101  England
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidelity Audio View Post
I use a 12V TX which equates to 16.8V pre reg leaving enough V headroom for the SPower.

Brent
And me

Service manual shows those rails as +/-10v on the std transformer!

Definately not enough for 9v regs to regulate.......I knew there was a reason I went with 8v regs not 9v when I was messing with the original set up
Old 10th February 2012, 12:06 PM   #17922
diyAudio Member

In the KI it is nearer +/- 12V but with the large voltage drops +/- 10V is probably an RMS value

Brent
Old 10th February 2012, 12:13 PM   #17923
diyAudio Member

Either way, you're safer with 8v regs.
Old 10th February 2012, 12:26 PM   #17924
diyAudio Member

Safer with a proper TX

Brent
Old 10th February 2012, 02:17 PM   #17925
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UV101 View Post
what are the voltages pre reg?

I've previously run mine on +/-8v regs when they are running off the original supply as I think the rails may not have enough headroom for 9v. Depends on the reg drop out. Looking at the OnSemi 7809 datasheet, you need 2v drop out.

In the main player, i've got a separate TX & PSU and so use 3 pairs of 12v SPowers the same as Brent.
Over 11.5V, so is safe to regulate to 9V
Observed that Regulator output ranges from 8.8V to 9.25V after testing different brands.
Will select two closest and implement in player
Old 10th February 2012, 02:20 PM   #17926
diyAudio Member

Use ST regs and avoid On Semi if at all possible. We have had issues with many On Semi regs oscillating. They seem cheaply made too

Brent
Old 10th February 2012, 05:55 PM   #17927
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audiohifi View Post
Over 11.5V, so is safe to regulate to 9V
Observed that Regulator output ranges from 8.8V to 9.25V after testing different brands.
Will select two closest and implement in player
Quote:
Use ST regs and avoid On Semi if at all possible. We have had issues with many On Semi regs oscillating. They seem cheaply made too

Brent
I'd go for 8v rails if I was using the original TX as I think you may well be running on the edge especially as Brent points out, you are using cheap regs.

Why not got the whole hog and get a decent sized 12v TX. Bridge and smoothers and you'll have a proper PSU.
Old 11th February 2012, 12:17 AM   #17928
diyAudio Member

Quote:

Brent
Hi Brent, I was wondering: when do you know a regulator oscillates? I guess you need an oscilloscope to find out or maybe you can describe how it deteriorates the sound (in case of analog stage supply)? I have not any experience in hearing if a regulator is oscillating or not. Thanks.
Old 12th February 2012, 09:15 AM   #17929
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to Ben Hanke Send a message via Skype™ to Ben Hanke
Hi guys, just checking in. I've been busy at work and not had much time to tinker with the 63. I had another go at debugging my display this evening and finally figured out that the little toroid is just DOA. I'll test it first next time. Still no further towards sorting out that mains hum at full volume. Do I need to ground one end of the centre bolt or anything? I'm considering doing a regulated PSU for the servo now, as I'm guessing that will fix it.

Still no word from TentLabs here. Any luck your end, Ray?
Old 12th February 2012, 11:30 AM   #17930
6h5c is offline 6h5c  Netherlands
One Seriously Addicted to Audio and Electronics
diyAudio Member

Hi Ben,

I received my XO's about two weeks ago. I sent him a third reminder to info and order@tentlabs.com and a few days later they landed on the doormat. Not that I got a reply to my messages though, the radiosilence still continues. So I have no idea what was the reason for the long delay, snow-vacation, illness...??

Regards,

Ray

Hide this!Advertise here!