Marantz CD63 & CD67 mods list - Page 1788 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st January 2012, 01:19 PM   #17871
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UV101 View Post
It will work for sure however the transformer va will no be anywhere near the 50-100va that is being recommended and you will still need the large caps. The 22,000uF being suggested pre 5v has a large impact on the servo section so you'd want the same here. Try it, I'm not aware that anyone else here has??

Ben, offboard psu is great here. when I did mine, I used 3 pairs of SPowers. Obviously this is a massive outlay and not for everyone. You will get significant gains using a single pair for all 3 drivers to start. As far as I'm aware, the spower is the only commercial reg in a small
(to220) that can supply the current you want here. Does RS have a presence near you? They sell a few cheaper toroids.
RS and Farnell are available. I may start with EI tx I have at hand
BTW notice there is a 3.6V, VF1 & VF2 and -24.5V, what are they for
Appreciate explanations
Old 22nd January 2012, 05:53 AM   #17872
diyAudio Member

"RS and Farnell are available. I may start with EI tx I have at hand
BTW notice there is a 3.6V, VF1 & VF2 and -24.5V, what are they for
Appreciate explanations "

Oh! for display
Should not touch them right?
Old 22nd January 2012, 09:23 AM   #17873
UV101 is offline UV101  England
diyAudio Member

Yep, display. You only need to mess with those if you replace the original transformer with separate uprated ones.
Old 23rd January 2012, 04:13 PM   #17874
Zombie is offline Zombie  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Many, many moons ago I modded two CD63s. I gave one to my friend who very much appreciated it. Just before Christmas he thought about buykng a new CD player and visited a hifi shop of his choice and compared his old CD63 to new offers in his price bracket. He ended up comparing the CD63 to the high-end players together with the stunned shop owner. A little sunshine story for all you modders.
My main advice from these days is:
- you can never match the resistors (10k and 27k) in the differential stage after the DAC chip too close. An absolute tight as possible match (within 0,1% or better) of these just makes WONDERS (buy a handful of 10k and 27k with tight tolerance and borrow a super resistance meter - or bring your own meter to the shop and ask to match them there with one of their super meter on display).
Happy modding!
Old 23rd January 2012, 05:22 PM   #17875
6h5c is offline 6h5c  Netherlands
One Seriously Addicted to Audio and Electronics
diyAudio Member

Cool!

Always nice to stun people this way... . I had the pleasure once myself. This was my first modded player ever! Odd looks and laughs when an old CD63 entered the arena. Until I pressed the PLAY button...

Something completely different... Ben, if I recall correctly you are waiting for some Tentlabs XO's, right? Have you received anything yet?

Regards,

Ray
Old 23rd January 2012, 06:19 PM   #17876
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to Ben Hanke Send a message via Skype™ to Ben Hanke
That's a really nice story, Zombie, thanks v. much for sharing.

Hi Ray, no, I e-mailed to ask for an update but I'm afraid I haven't heard anything back yet...

Quick follow-up PSU question: When I get my toroids, if I can fit all four of them in with room to spare, then can I run a regulated PSU like Ian was describing off a 2x 12VAC with enough headroom for regs like SPowers? Has anyone successfully crammed a 100VA servo supply into a 63 case?
Old 23rd January 2012, 08:00 PM   #17877
6h5c is offline 6h5c  Netherlands
One Seriously Addicted to Audio and Electronics
diyAudio Member

Thanks, same here, I sent two reminders already, but no reply. I was just wondering, why the radio-silence? Maybe he's on a long ski vacation??

No large tranny-cramming here, but 12VAC will give you about 18 to 20VDC. Seems more than plenty of headroom for, let's say, 12V regulators. The drivers can handle +/-20V supply voltage max.

Ray
Old 23rd January 2012, 09:23 PM   #17878
UV101 is offline UV101  England
diyAudio Member

If you can do without the on/off switch Ben, you can fit a large transformer behind the transport, that way you could leave the original TX in situ?

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 23rd January 2012, 10:35 PM   #17879
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to Ben Hanke Send a message via Skype™ to Ben Hanke
Wow, nice pic Ian. Ha, I wondered how you did it. I'm feeling reasonably confident that the 50va Nuvotem I have coming will fit in that spot with only a slight modification to the cross brace. I wonder, has anyone ever tried removing the piece of tray with the yellow sticker on it? If that could go without causing problems when the tray is open then I bet it'd make room for a really big one.
Old 23rd January 2012, 10:39 PM   #17880
diyAudio Member

Zombie, thanks for sharing your findings.
Can you specify which resistors exactly you mean that needs to be closely matched, because there are several 10k resistors there? If think for the right channel you're talking about R602+R604 (27k) and RD22+RD24 (10k) and RD26+RD28 (10k) (+ means matched), right?

Hide this!Advertise here!