Marantz CD63 & CD67 mods list - Page 1757 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th September 2011, 07:41 AM   #17561
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to Ben Hanke Send a message via Skype™ to Ben Hanke
Having said all that, I think BG FK 16V 470uF are borderline magical as analogue DAC decoupling in the CD63. I've tried a few different caps there - Silmics, BG Standard, BG N, and to my ears the FKs make a definite audible improvement.
Old 28th September 2011, 10:07 AM   #17562
RCruz is offline RCruz  Switzerland
diyAudio Member

I also have those FK in the same placement
Old 2nd October 2011, 12:45 AM   #17563
diyAudio Member

Ok. I stopped posting (again) as I thought people were getting bored of my new dos exploits. Anyway after all the previously mentioned tweaks I though i should post The overall sound (compared to my STD dos) as improved. Top end treble is no better. Some midrange clarity has improved and the bass as deepend that bit more. Remember for me this is all based on 26 spower low noise regs + all the psu supplying them

Brent

Last edited by Fidelity Audio; 2nd October 2011 at 12:50 AM.
Old 2nd October 2011, 09:21 AM   #17564
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to Malefoda
I whish I can listen to your player... sadly... anyway, thanks for reporting, nice work like always!
Old 2nd October 2011, 10:30 AM   #17565
quan is offline quan  Australia
diyAudio Member

Hi guys, started to play some music from my 63 marantz tonite. A weird problem occuring
there is a scratching noise when playing the cd then all the sudden high level of static noise. Check dc offset and getting 2.72V. The problem can be correct by skipping to next track but then it will recur again. Can you guys tell me where should i looking at ?
The last mod i did was to fit some Ray-gulators but also lifting the pad near the 12 volts track. Could that be the problem?
Old 2nd October 2011, 07:38 PM   #17566
6h5c is offline 6h5c  Netherlands
One Seriously Addicted to Audio and Electronics
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidelity Audio View Post
Ok. I stopped posting (again) as I thought people were getting bored of my new dos exploits.
Not at all! It's quite interesting to read your findings. I guess you have tweaked it in every way possible now . Good to hear it's an improvement.

I just replaced the Obbligato output caps of my DOS by the 'old' 100uF Black Gate N-type caps I had in there earlier. Not that the Obbligato's were awfully bad or anything, but I like the more pronounced top-end of the Black Gates more. The Obbligato's are a bit smoother and the BG's give the sound more 'bite' so to speak.

Regards,

Ray
Old 2nd October 2011, 07:42 PM   #17567
6h5c is offline 6h5c  Netherlands
One Seriously Addicted to Audio and Electronics
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by quan View Post
Hi guys, started to play some music from my 63 marantz tonite. A weird problem occuring
there is a scratching noise when playing the cd then all the sudden high level of static noise. Check dc offset and getting 2.72V. The problem can be correct by skipping to next track but then it will recur again. Can you guys tell me where should i looking at ?
The last mod i did was to fit some Ray-gulators but also lifting the pad near the 12 volts track. Could that be the problem?
Hi Quan, that's a weird problem. The static and scratching makes me think it's a digital problem, but the high offset suggests it's a fault in the analog section. You should check the DC voltage levels in the schematic around the opamps. Does it occur in both channels? If so, that would also suggest digital problems, maybe one of the DAC voltages is not well connected?

Ray
Old 2nd October 2011, 08:03 PM   #17568
Stabby is offline Stabby  Belgium
diyAudio Member

I just noticed that I have a scratch on the outer edge of most of my CDs and I think my CD53 is to blame. I have no playback problems on the CD53 but when I rip with iTunes the last track is usually distorted and with EAC I get errors on the last tracks (fortunately the second time I try, I have no errors).

But still...What's going on???
Old 3rd October 2011, 11:44 PM   #17569
diyAudio Member

Thanks, particularly to bikeral10, for the advice on my Marantz CD63. 99p in Maplins on a new Q811 has turned a piece of scrap into a working CD player.

As far as I can work out, Q811 supplies the 5V power to the microchip which runs the whole player. So when this was blown, no lights on, no nothing. But it seems nothing else was wrong (why did it blow in the first place - maybe it will blow again - who knows).

Respect!
Old 4th October 2011, 08:09 AM   #17570
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewjameshoward View Post
Thanks, particularly to bikeral10, for the advice on my Marantz CD63. 99p in Maplins on a new Q811 has turned a piece of scrap into a working CD player.

As far as I can work out, Q811 supplies the 5V power to the microchip which runs the whole player. So when this was blown, no lights on, no nothing. But it seems nothing else was wrong (why did it blow in the first place - maybe it will blow again - who knows).

Respect!
Glad it worked for you,
after 15yrs thing pack up so see how it goes.
cheers alan

Hide this!Advertise here!