Marantz CD63 & CD67 mods list - Page 1738 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th September 2011, 07:07 PM   #17371
6h5c is offline 6h5c  Netherlands
One Seriously Addicted to Audio and Electronics
diyAudio Member

Right!
Old 5th September 2011, 07:15 PM   #17372
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to Ben Hanke Send a message via Skype™ to Ben Hanke
So I might have been sort of on the right lines when I guessed that one or more of Stabby's capacitors might not be soldered in correctly... it's just that they just were not connected at all! :-)

So do I use 4 regs in total for the DAC?
Old 5th September 2011, 07:20 PM   #17373
Stabby is offline Stabby  Belgium
diyAudio Member

Thanks so much for the help. I feel stupid needing a detailed explanation to do anything right...

So looks like I still have quite some things to get done. Can I get the necessary parts somewhere without a minimum amount to order? Does Thomo sell many kinds of caps?

Also, I'm ashamed to admit that I replaced C605/606 with regular ceramic caps. I honestly don't think my ears are good enough to notice the difference. The fact that I have no decoupling on the DAC and with some extra bass it sounds great to me should prove that...
Old 5th September 2011, 07:20 PM   #17374
6h5c is offline 6h5c  Netherlands
One Seriously Addicted to Audio and Electronics
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Hanke View Post
So do I use 4 regs in total for the DAC?
Yes, that seems like a nice number. You can't separate 17 from 21 and 22 from 26 unless you start cutting some tracks, and I don't know about you but i'm not very fond of that. The two are on the same channel anyway.

Ray
Old 5th September 2011, 07:35 PM   #17375
UV101 is offline UV101  England
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stabby View Post
Thanks so much for the help. I feel stupid needing a detailed explanation to do anything right...

So looks like I still have quite some things to get done. Can I get the necessary parts somewhere without a minimum amount to order? Does Thomo sell many kinds of caps?

Also, I'm ashamed to admit that I replaced C605/606 with regular ceramic caps. I honestly don't think my ears are good enough to notice the difference. The fact that I have no decoupling on the DAC and with some extra bass it sounds great to me should prove that...
Where are C605 and 606? Cant see them on the diagram for looking!!! Don't worry about asking questions, no one ever learned anything by doing nothing and keeping quiet!
Old 5th September 2011, 07:40 PM   #17376
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UV101 View Post
Where are C605 and 606? Cant see them on the diagram for looking!!! Don't worry about asking questions, no one ever learned anything by doing nothing and keeping quiet!
Those are hard to find on the schematic, but they're the filter caps. 470pf for Bessel filter (I adjusted the resistors too of course).

And you're right. I'm interested in this stuff, otherwise I would have given up a long time ago. I haven't noticed huge improvements after my mods but I love and will keep doing it despite the many frustrations it brings

Last edited by Stabby; 5th September 2011 at 07:43 PM.
Old 5th September 2011, 08:15 PM   #17377
diyAudio Member

They are not ideal but they are probably not the problem (assuming they are the right value). I would use polystyrene caps at at least here. Look at the part numbers in rays docs in post 1. You will see what they look like. I would use Silvered Mica in the audio path but for the type of mods you are doing here, styrene caps are fine. As these caps are in the signal path and are part of the filter circuit, an incorrect value component here will change the filter characteristics.

To be honest, to start you should stick to the PSU and decoupling cap mods.

If you are going to order a few caps this is what I would suggest.

C803 & C804 Panasonic FC 8200uF/25v these are the PSU smoothers for the opamp and hdam supply. Or even better, Panasonic TSUP 10,000uf 35v but they will need to be mounted on short leads off the board.

For C813 you definitely want to go off board with short leads. Use Panasonic TSUP again 22,000uF/16v. You may as well do C814 with the same while you are there. These are the smoothers for the servo drivers and all of the other analogue and digital rails.

There are better caps than TSUPs for all of these rails if you want to spend a bit more. Audio Upgrades SI (same as Mundorf/ F&T) are awesome here if the budget allows.

Next I would change the decoupling caps around the DAC as per my previous post. I would also change C611,612,613 & 614 (opamp decoupling caps) to Rubycon ZA's same as the ones on the DAC. The other must do is the opamps. Install sockets and change to LME49720 or 4562's (same chip) again Thomo can supply these. Do not bypass the HDAM's until you have done at least the above as you will end up with a thin sound!!!
Old 5th September 2011, 08:57 PM   #17378
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to Ben Hanke Send a message via Skype™ to Ben Hanke
I've done the mods Ian mentioned above, using Silver Mica, Mundorf 22,000uF X3 and Black Gates elsewhere, and I'm happy to confirm that my player has just as much weight to the sound as it did with the HDAM, and bags more detail. I got away with leads about half an inch long for the 3 Mundorf caps.
Old 5th September 2011, 09:06 PM   #17379
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the tips, I'll order as soon as I can. Can Thomo supply all of those, including the panasonics?

Also I have no HDAM since I have the CD53.
Old 5th September 2011, 09:25 PM   #17380
diyAudio Member

Thomo (Lee) should be able to sort you out all of it. The ZA's are about £3, the SEPC are about £2.35 and the Audio Upgrades SI's are £10. He may have an option on something cheaper than the SI's but they really are worth the money. Drop him a message....

He can supply opamps too.

Hide this!Advertise here!