Marantz CD63 & CD67 mods list - Page 1728 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th August 2011, 04:31 PM   #17271
gareth is offline gareth  Wales
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6h5c View Post
Yes, any clock will perform better with it's own dedicated supply. The regulator should have the lowest noise possible. A discrete design is mostly better, as the standard 78xx or LM317 regulators are quite noisy for this task. I have good experience with The Flea, the Tentlabs shunts and the Super Teddy Regulator. All of those can be used to power a clock. Please do post the schematics

As for the caps, I wouldn't use tantalum, maybe just for decoupling purposes in digital circuits. Wima MKS are just MKT a.k.a. polyester caps, but they are better than an electrolytic for decoupling. Not recommended for carrying audio-signal. For signal applications you should use polystyrene (PS) or MKP caps.

Regards,

Ray
Yes, I have been loking at the power supplies you have mentioned and I fancy going down this road instead of just tapping off of some internal supply lines - even though, to a degree, that's what will happen but only to feed my own dedicated supply. I have been looking at various types of discrete regulated circuit designs that have low noise characteristics. There are many ways but what do I choose ?

Out of curiosity, what current rating (milliamps I guess) needs to be supplied to one of these clocks ? How musch does a series-mode crystal need ? It may seem dumb but I am not sure.

Thanks for the tips about capacitor choice too, this is an area where, apart from power supply electrolytics I was very unsure as to what the best choice is especially as you mentioned tantalum as I have not seen these specced in many designs. Thanks.

As for the clock designs, I have them here on paper and I hope to get them posted. The design using the 4007 CMOS sounds great, it's acccuracy and it's simplicity. I was wondering if it would be possible, as it is an enhancement mode n and p channel IC - paralleled, could the cd 63's (and other machines) CD Sled servo and microprocessor have their clocks fed from this device after being divided by two ?

Gareth
Old 24th August 2011, 05:15 PM   #17272
6h5c is offline 6h5c  Netherlands
One Seriously Addicted to Audio and Electronics
diyAudio Member

Most clocks will consume a modest amount of current, I think somewhere between 10 and 50mA max. will be a good guess. Clocks with CMOS and FET oscillator will need even less.

It's not needed to clock the microcontroller, because it only provides control and display functions. It is a noisy device, so I would not hook it up to the audio clock. But you can clock the servo of the CD63 with it. Using a divide-by-two is an option, but given that this clock has a low parts count, it's easy to use a second one for the servo.

Ray
Old 24th August 2011, 05:27 PM   #17273
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6h5c View Post
Most clocks will consume a modest amount of current, I think somewhere between 10 and 50mA max. will be a good guess. Clocks with CMOS and FET oscillator will need even less.

It's not needed to clock the microcontroller, because it only provides control and display functions. It is a noisy device, so I would not hook it up to the audio clock. But you can clock the servo of the CD63 with it. Using a divide-by-two is an option, but given that this clock has a low parts count, it's easy to use a second one for the servo.

Ray
Yeah, I guess your right. Just being a tight wad because some crazy illegal driver has wiped out my car and getting to work from where I live at the moment is hard work.

I thought that it would have been a neat idea as most of the 4007 would be redundant and some of it could be re-utilised with a divide by two. O.K. the microprocessor needs to be left 'as is' and so I shall concentrate on the main clock and servo. So, does it follow that I could use a different type of n/p channel mosfet solely ? A discrete device as opposed to the 4007 ? as it will be mainly redundant ?

Gareth
Old 25th August 2011, 01:09 PM   #17274
diyAudio Member

Hi Gareth,

You need a flip-flop function for a divide-by-two. I doubt that it can be realized with just two gates of the 4007. It's not a good idea to use one of the other gates as a second oscillator for the servo clock. They share the same supply-pins, so it's very easy for noise to travel from one clock to the other. It better to use two separate IC's.

Ray
Old 25th August 2011, 01:33 PM   #17275
diyAudio Member

Yeah O.K., using the same chip is kind of defeating part of the object I guess.
Old 25th August 2011, 01:57 PM   #17276
diyAudio Member

Quote:
It better to use two separate IC's.
PicoGates !
Old 25th August 2011, 02:02 PM   #17277
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonHarrison View Post
PicoGates !
Cheers, just been looking at the 74LVC1GX04 as well. Any good ?
Old 25th August 2011, 04:48 PM   #17278
diyAudio Member

I wonder if the jitter performance is any good with these gates. It looks a lot like the standard integrated inverter-oscillator that is used in most players. An advantage is that a separate supply can be used of course.

Ray
Old 25th August 2011, 06:08 PM   #17279
poynton is offline poynton  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Location: A life on the ocean waves when I'm not at home in N. Wales (but I'm not Welsh so no sheep jokes!)
I seem to remember their use by one of the Oscillator gurus some time ago - Jocko ?

Andy

Old 25th August 2011, 07:41 PM   #17280
diyAudio Member

I've not used the 74LVC1GX04 personally but I have used PicoGates in clock circuits.

A single gate per device with a seperate power supply is better than powering multigate devices and running different signals through them.

Hide this!Advertise here!