Marantz CD63 & CD67 mods list - Page 1691 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st June 2011, 11:38 PM   #16901
diyAudio Member

Don't forget to short out your fuses to improve those rails further. We use our 22000uf si caps on those rails. The positive rail is the most important rail of the two in terms of large uf.

Brent
Old 22nd June 2011, 03:14 PM   #16902
Andori is offline Andori  England
diyAudio Member

Having still not got round to actually doing any mods, I've got some more dumb questions. (Though I have actually now got a single sided layout for a regulator done and are waiting for a friend to make me a board)

1. When people talk about the DC blocking caps, I'm assuming that these are C655-658 (on a CD63)?

2. As I was looking at building a clock based on Ray's variation on the Kwak 7 (but adding my own reg as a power spupply), I was looking to source a spare crystal to be able to get it built up and tested on the bench before trying to take out the current crystal. Looking at Farnell, they have a number of 16.9344 MHz crystals and I notice that most list a frequency stability of +/- 30ppm, but they do have one (SMD one) that is +/-10ppm. I'm guessing that this will be a better spec than the one in the player and so theoretically I should get a better result?

3. They don't list an 8.4672 MHz crystal for the servo, and I seem to be struggling to find one online, so figure I have a couple of options. First is to use the crystal from the player, and second is to build another 16.9344 MHz clock, but add a divide by 2 stage on the output (using something like a type flipflop). I've discounted using a single clock for both stages with a divider as I've read on this thread that it doesn't work too well with a CD63. Any comments on either option or alternatives?

4. In the future I may look to go a bit further with the clocks, possibly looking a something like the flea or possibly Brent's micro clock (will 1 clock do both?). I've looked aroud and not actually found many clock designs to actually build yourself.
Old 22nd June 2011, 03:34 PM   #16903
Thomo is offline Thomo  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andori View Post
I've discounted using a single clock for both stages with a divider as I've read on this thread that it doesn't work too well with a CD63. Any comments on either option or alternatives?
I use one oscillator for both and it's sounding really quite stunning. Will try another at a later date, but not in a rush to do so.

Lee.
Old 22nd June 2011, 03:41 PM   #16904
diyAudio Member

I run separate clocks, both running on the correct freq with no logic and a meaty psu for each clock for isolation. That does help a lot.

Brent
Old 22nd June 2011, 03:43 PM   #16905
UV101 is offline UV101  England
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomo View Post
I use one oscillator for both and it's sounding really quite stunning. Will try another at a later date, but not in a rush to do so.

Lee.
Yep I agree. I have run 2 seperate clocks previously but i'll not be doing it in this new player for a while. I will however be clocking the sys clock to the dac and decoder, the /2 to the servo and the /8 to the bit clock. I found direct clocking of the dac, filter and decoders a big step up over single master clocks in my CD960.
Old 22nd June 2011, 03:44 PM   #16906
SimontY is offline SimontY  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to SimontY
I can't believe these new tricks have taken so long to emerge on the CD63!
Old 22nd June 2011, 07:30 PM   #16907
Bartt is offline Bartt  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

My player is working again!! Whoehoew!! Turned out to be the reg at the uP, at rf01. Didn't see that the ground pin was not connected to the ground, but to something else. And c902 had a bad joint and something else that looked suspicious. Now it sounds better than ever!! Sounds like a different player!

Tnks guys for helping me out! I really appreciate it!!

Did some extra mods to celebrate it ;-) Also tried Brents clock mod Marantz CD63 & CD67 mods list, but didn't work on my player ("No disk"). How's that possible?
Old 22nd June 2011, 07:39 PM   #16908
UV101 is offline UV101  England
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartt View Post
My player is working again!! Whoehoew!! Turned out to be the reg at the uP, at rf01. Didn't see that the ground pin was not connected to the ground, but to something else. And c902 had a bad joint and something else that looked suspicious. Now it sounds better than ever!! Sounds like a different player!

Tnks guys for helping me out! I really appreciate it!!

Did some extra mods to celebrate it ;-) Also tried Brents clock mod Marantz CD63 & CD67 mods list, but didn't work on my player ("No disk"). How's that possible?
You need to establish if you have the MKII

Check the MKII service manual. You need to connect in front of the 10pF ceramic cap near the dac (dac side of it) to make it work as there a few components in circuit designed to make the decoder think it have an xtal directly connected. The change in circuit was probably to increase stability in the MKII model. Grab the SM supplement from rays pages. it highlights the different circuit on the MKII. It wont work it you clock the clock in pin direct on the decoder on the MKII

Well done for getting it running again too

edit: although the 10pF cap is shown close to the decoder in the SM, its actually close to the dac in the player
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 63 clocks.jpg (177.1 KB, 98 views)

Last edited by UV101; 22nd June 2011 at 07:43 PM. Reason: pic added
Old 22nd June 2011, 08:01 PM   #16909
Bartt is offline Bartt  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Tnks! It's a MKII SE. I did plug it directly into the decoder. I got rid of u193 (a resistor) and the rd14 cap and then linked the dac to the decoder with a wire. Am I missing something here? Should I use the u193 resistor?
Old 22nd June 2011, 08:13 PM   #16910
diyAudio Member

Ive used 1 clock for dac and servo to great results,theres a 4mhz spare could i divide x2 to get 2mhz for the bitclock?
alan

Hide this!Advertise here!