Marantz CD63 & CD67 mods list - Page 1600 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th March 2011, 01:45 PM   #15991
Thomo is offline Thomo  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimontY View Post
Those amps are good value and give a wide open and detailed presentation but ultimately it's a harsh and irritating sound... at least from what I've heard.
That's very much what I found too. I had a really nicely done T-Amp here which I modded and whilst it was very clean and clear it didn't do bass very well and sounded thin to my ears.

Lee.
Old 4th March 2011, 01:53 PM   #15992
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to Malefoda
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimontY View Post
That is an interesting progress report... aside from the fact higher octane fuel is only more resistant to detonation, not inherently a power-adding force

Your raggedness is not the CD67, I am 95% confident of this. It will get smoother but I'm not convinced it will EVER be a relaxing and soothing sound when paired with a T-amp. Those amps are good value and give a wide open and detailed presentation but ultimately it's a harsh and irritating sound... at least from what I've heard. Talking of which are you still hanging around here Steve?? It's Steve's modded CD67 and T-amp I've heard and whilst it REALLY impresses at first it's a bit thin and artificial once your ears acclimatise. My opinion, not fact.
Mine differs, but it may be according to wich SS/Tubes amps you were playing with prior to your class D experience. Remeber I'm ultra poor, and when it comes to low-price/perf T-amp does it.
As for octane, I know engines wich does output less power with greater octane rate. (flame front speed differs then best torque not applied to the cranckshat's lever arm at the best angle).

Last edited by Malefoda; 4th March 2011 at 01:56 PM.
Old 4th March 2011, 02:03 PM   #15993
diyAudio Member

Is that a wankel engine?

Brent
Old 4th March 2011, 02:17 PM   #15994
diyAudio Member

Wankel? Where!? I'm here!
Old 4th March 2011, 02:33 PM   #15995
diyAudio Member

Funny bunch you are. The high octane thing was just a crude analogy (I don't need any more egg on my face after the op-amp slip-up...which Brent COULD have corrected me on without it becoming publically apparent I am a dumb ****** (Malefoda a ****** c'est un vrais con) there are t-amps and then there are t-amps and some are very nice but no way in hell can this one compete with my super modded ICE amp, which is a wee giant killer. This one just a stand-in and I accept that I will have no idea how the 67 sounds until I get mine back, but there are strong indictions that I will be a happy camper.
Ahh apparently I'm not allowed to use a good old english word which is spelled the same as wank-er. Tiresome censor.
This is a wee bit off topic but our cdp's are useless in isolation and their sound, no matter how modified, is in direct proportion to what they are connected to. (and the end result is pretty subjective and hard to describe with words on a screen) When this is settled down I will do another comparison with my neighbors Teac/VDac/tube set-up and see if it still slays that rig.

Last edited by shepperd; 4th March 2011 at 02:41 PM.
Old 4th March 2011, 02:33 PM   #15996
diyAudio Member

Brent
Old 4th March 2011, 03:27 PM   #15997
SimontY is offline SimontY  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to SimontY
Matthieu, I've never had a tube amp, only owned a Sherwood receiver (A/B solid), Roksan Kandy (A/B solid), Roksan Caspian (A/B solid), LM3886 DIY chip amp (class B chip), Marantz MA500s (monoblocks class A/B solid) and Carlsbro PA amp (class A/B solid).

Currently the rig is bass on modded Carlsbro amp and mid & tweet on LM3886. There's no trace of the class T problems and not a tube or class A beast in sight.... though a class A amp would deliver quite the opposite of the T-amps in some areas (ie weak areas replaced by strong yet both delivering much detail and openness). As far as I can hear the closer you are to class A the better an amp is likely to sound (other variables blurring this "truth" to varying degrees.) Amps like Brent has (mostly class A) or Lee has (again, mostly class A) show, to my ears, that it's the only way to go. Only time I've heard Pass Aleph amps I also felt it was 100% correct with no weakness. From the few dozen amps or systems I've heard it seems unless it's class A (or maybe at least very low crossover distortion - as maybe attained by the LM3886 and similar good power op-amps) you just don't get the natural life in the midrange, an open sound or natural detailing. It will always be a bit compressed and nasal with somewhat etched and tiresome transients and sibilants.

Last edited by SimontY; 4th March 2011 at 03:30 PM.
Old 4th March 2011, 04:04 PM   #15998
diyAudio Member

Well my best piece of audio is... my CD-43!
As for amp I've never had great gear: a poor Arcam Alpha One I give a score (subjective to my xp) of 10/20, 11/20 when modded ( http://img145.imageshack.us/img145/3020/dscn1529ai0.jpg ), a chinese sweet rusty case, G&W 2006X something, 14/20 ( http://img178.imageshack.us/img178/852/tw20068lp0.jpg ), nice bass and overall sound, sold to live, then a given Aura VA100, 14/20 also ( http://img216.imageshack.us/img216/7...a100evomod.jpg ) and then a (cheap and badly done) Williamson KT88, 9/20 then 11/20 when modded. Playing OB and vintage speakers I wanted a simple amp to "try", then a TA2024 wich, with my mods and not before, OsCon SP, PPS and such, was handling my DM4 better in bass region, wich means that they did bass for the first time! 14.5/20 on this one modded, but far more suitable with my DM4 for now.
I must admit that the flaw this ultra tiny Tripath amp has is a slight lack of matter in mids/high mids. Hope the TK2050 I have will do better, and I defo want to try, under better skies, the 41Hz Trupath. The Aura will be put on sale, as a Yamaha A500 amp wich can be sold 50 when it scores 10/20 but being very boring sounding. It's very budget related and I want to put most of my futur on the speakers, change the TK2050 for something else when/if my OB will be finished, or for a second OB project (maybe a MJK Alpha15/FF85K(new model) based one, then a Supravox 215RTF S Bicone/ better 15" like DeltaLite II 2515 ... ).
I need a very good system for very very few money, this is the way! As for OB you know
And as for listening to top gear in shops... prices make me sick!

Sorry for being out of topic, anyway wa less that rotary engines
Old 4th March 2011, 06:13 PM   #15999
diyAudio Member

M. This looks very interesting and not very expensive. I would like to know more about it as a potential backup amp.
[Review] Temple Audio Bantam Gold class-D amplifier listening test - [English]
Old 5th March 2011, 09:03 AM   #16000
diyAudio Member

I turned it on this morning and "POP"! No more sound. The disk is reading properly. I have no means to trouble shoot this so I guess it goes back to brent. Serious bummer. I've never had any trouble with this player in all the years. Oh well, easy come...

Hide this!Advertise here!