Marantz CD63 & CD67 mods list - Page 1599 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 3rd March 2011, 09:02 AM   #15981
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to Malefoda
http://www.hiwtc.com/photo/products/21/00/30/3090.jpg
http://atomicspacejunk.com/wp-conten...creceiver1.jpg
https://www.myu.umn.edu/metadot/inde...=download_file
With a large opening at the rear and a mesh it looks nice and stays cool.
Old 3rd March 2011, 09:57 AM   #15982
poynton is offline poynton  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Location: A life on the ocean waves when I'm not at home in N. Wales (but I'm not Welsh so no sheep jokes!)
Very Retro ...

Old 3rd March 2011, 10:24 AM   #15983
diyAudio Member

Shep you are fine to fully encase the unit. Nothing runs hot.

Lots of regs can lower the overall temp inside a unit as they are running lower current than just one unless you supply them with too much voltage of course.

Brent
Old 3rd March 2011, 10:30 AM   #15984
diyAudio Member

"Why the talk of op-amps Shep? If you have the DOS then you have no op-amps in your circuit. And no op-amp is better than a fine discrete circuit in terms of audio"

What can I say? Egg on my face...I wear my ignorance like a shroud.
Thanks Mathieu.That's exactly what I had in mind, including the grill on the top. I think only the Mac is real wood. The other is verneer. The third image doesn't open.

Last edited by shepperd; 3rd March 2011 at 10:33 AM.
Old 3rd March 2011, 10:35 AM   #15985
6h5c is offline 6h5c  Netherlands
One Seriously Addicted to Audio and Electronics
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stabby View Post
About replacing the LM78M12/79M12 with LM317/337. Any instructions for doing this? Also, Ray mentions reversing diodes and caps, but which ones? Why do they have to be reversed?

And quick question before ordering. Ray recommends 54 ohm ferrite beads, but Mouser has 30 ohm beads that are 4x as cheap ($0.07 a piece). Are these good as well? If I use these, should I use more?
Hi Stabby,

The reversing of diodes and caps refers to the small regulator PCB that's shown on my LM317 page. It's one PCB for both the positive and negative version, so you'll have to reverse the caps and diodes on that board if you use an LM337 instead of an LM317.

The 30 ohm beads will do fine, as long as they fit around the inductor's wire.

Regards,

Ray
Old 3rd March 2011, 11:31 AM   #15986
diyAudio Member

I will root around some goodwill shops here to see if I can find something suitable before embarking on a DIY venture for the case-work. It turns out that Tony Gee's speakers are seriously expensive so that's out.
Old 3rd March 2011, 09:54 PM   #15987
SimontY is offline SimontY  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to SimontY
I didn't think they'd be cheap
Old 4th March 2011, 08:54 AM   #15988
diyAudio Member

Yeah that was a bummer. I had high hopes. Finding good speakers "cheap" over here is no fun. I guess I'll stick with what I have.
Old 4th March 2011, 11:47 AM   #15989
diyAudio Member

So ! how does it sound now after 50hrs? That is the question n'est ce pas. I will spare you verbiage. After all this is thru a low powered T-amp trying its best with inefficient speakers so...well for starters it sounds like I went from 4 cylinders to 6 (volage increase, lots more bigger caps?) The sound is still bit ragged but promising. What I do like is how the sound stage as fleshed out. Kind of like going from good a good animation to the real thing (film analogy), with a bigger sense of space and more tactile imagery. The T-amp doesn't do space very convincingly and is short of real grunt and definition in the bass so I expect all will change dramatically when I put my amp back (soon) and the break-in has gone on. The real improvement is in the sense of having a whole new engine waiting to be fed higher octane. Couldn't resist giving you a blow-by-blow account
Old 4th March 2011, 12:05 PM   #15990
SimontY is offline SimontY  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to SimontY
That is an interesting progress report... aside from the fact higher octane fuel is only more resistant to detonation, not inherently a power-adding force

Your raggedness is not the CD67, I am 95% confident of this. It will get smoother but I'm not convinced it will EVER be a relaxing and soothing sound when paired with a T-amp. Those amps are good value and give a wide open and detailed presentation but ultimately it's a harsh and irritating sound... at least from what I've heard. Talking of which are you still hanging around here Steve?? It's Steve's modded CD67 and T-amp I've heard and whilst it REALLY impresses at first it's a bit thin and artificial once your ears acclimatise. My opinion, not fact.

Hide this!Advertise here!