Marantz CD63 & CD67 mods list - Page 1553 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th February 2011, 03:54 PM   #15521
UV101 is offline UV101  England
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cola View Post
Hi I am the display light was on after the mod before I put back the casing. The earlier posts posted by the users is not similar to the problem i am having now as all the buttons are working.
Thanks
Check all the connections on the ribbon to the display. Sometimes the tracks fracture close to the connector and sometimes they actually fold back on themselves as you plug the ribbon into the socket.
Old 8th February 2011, 05:30 PM   #15522
diyAudio Member

Back to these laser problems. I have read quite a bit on various threads including this one. The thing I find most annoying is that it now seems to be a lucky dip when purchasing the VAM1202. I believe they are now all made in China. I have paid anything from £6 for just the laser and ribbon to over £30 for the whole assembly. (some with wiring, some without) Some are in the Philips beige box, some are in white boxes and some are just in a polythene jacket. But no one supplier can send 4 lasers without at least 2 being faulty. It is getting worse. A few years ago it wasn't a problem. I would like to know what others think?
Old 8th February 2011, 05:31 PM   #15523
diyAudio Member

Did Michael sort out his problem?
Old 8th February 2011, 05:43 PM   #15524
Stabby is offline Stabby  Belgium
diyAudio Member

I've done the power supply and opamp mods on my CD53. I've also disables the headphone and muting circuits. I'm about to order some parts, so I might add those for the next upgrade as well. Which other mods will result in the most noticable difference in sound quality?

Output filter?
Can I use regular ceramic caps and regular resistors instead of those recommended? The types and brands recommended come down to more than €20 which is a bit much.
DAC?
Is it okay to do the mods and leave out the ferrites?
HF-amp/decoder/SERVO/Drivers/uController?
Same question: can I do all the mods and leave out the ferrites?

Which of these mods are the most effective?
Old 8th February 2011, 07:54 PM   #15525
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by barry.childs View Post
Back to these laser problems. I have read quite a bit on various threads including this one. The thing I find most annoying is that it now seems to be a lucky dip when purchasing the VAM1202. I believe they are now all made in China. I have paid anything from £6 for just the laser and ribbon to over £30 for the whole assembly. (some with wiring, some without) Some are in the Philips beige box, some are in white boxes and some are just in a polythene jacket. But no one supplier can send 4 lasers without at least 2 being faulty. It is getting worse. A few years ago it wasn't a problem. I would like to know what others think?
Hi Barry,
i had one from a guy i china guy called kamkam 0770 his as you say came with no wiring for the motors but the ribbon for the laser,
it was the complete transport worked fine.
many thanks alan
Old 8th February 2011, 07:58 PM   #15526
diyAudio Member

Barry forgot to add 10.63 gbp
delivered .
cheers alan
Old 9th February 2011, 07:22 AM   #15527
diyAudio Member

[QUOTE=Stabby;2461831]I've done the power supply and opamp mods on my CD53. I've also disables the headphone and muting circuits. I'm about to order some parts, so I might add those for the next upgrade as well. Which other mods will result in the most noticable difference in sound quality?

Output filter?
Can I use regular ceramic caps and regular resistors instead of those recommended? The types and brands recommended come down to more than €20 which is a bit much.

The quality of the sound is not as good with ceramics. Yes it will work but you really need the better caps.

DAC?
Is it okay to do the mods and leave out the ferrites?

The ferrites also make the sound better. You could omit the ferrites and add in a regulator per rail for even better performance

HF-amp/decoder/SERVO/Drivers/uController?
Same question: can I do all the mods and leave out the ferrites?

Same as above

Which of these mods are the most effective?

They are all smallish tweaks that add something to the sound (or is take away nastyness). Please don't skimp on the simple upgrades because in the future you will only have to swap them again.

/QUOTE]

Brent
Old 9th February 2011, 10:31 AM   #15528
diyAudio Member

Thanks Alan, I will try him. I wonder what Brent thinks?
Old 9th February 2011, 02:26 PM   #15529
diyAudio Member

I don't have any trouble with my lasers now. I bought a large batch from Holland and everyone is spot on. 25+ changed in the last 6 months too (no not on the same player ).

Also if anyone is interested our Micro clock is now available with 8.46Mhz and 16.9Mhz oscillators on the same board

Brent
Old 9th February 2011, 03:56 PM   #15530
diyAudio Member

Slightly off topic, except for the words CDP Marantz. I ran into a "like new" 94Mk11 for sale on another forum (horrors!). I have no reason to distrust the seller and although the price is very reasonable, I suspect modding it will be a major fiddle and very pricey. Having just sent off my 67' to Brent for another round of up-grading, i have no business even looking at this but as we know....curiosity gets the better of me. This is the one with two S1 crown chips and other gubbins of interest like the original Blackgates. Anyone have any experience? Brent? Ray? Simon?

Last edited by shepperd; 9th February 2011 at 03:59 PM.

Hide this!Advertise here!