Marantz CD63 & CD67 mods list

Well the Black Gate caps certainy sound more open/clean than the LCR and AMPOHM caps.
They seem to allow the music to play with more pace too.

Here is a pic of pcb with caps and copper cans

Brent

Attachments

• discrete with cans (1).jpg
    discrete with cans (1).jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 361
rowemeister said:
They are now giving a little more bass yes and the more I run them in the better they get.
And I must say how suprised I am by them, they are running in very quickly indeed, the sound is getting deeper and fuller with the tops being very tight.

Im running India Arie cd on repeat has this has loads of bass.

Brent

Fancy that
using a non polar electrolytic as a coupling cap
What will i think of next?:clown:

allan

ps
is the bass tighter?
that was the problem with the fet's

Originally posted by awpagan i've had experience with the polystyrene's

any comments about the polypropylene?

both are 1%
mica's are 1% also, these are cheaper for better matching

allan

Forget the matching mate. From my experience stereo balance is indifferent to a 2% mismatch.

Polystyrene is a good dielectric, much better than polyester.

In high values inductance starts to play a role. That's why I use bifilar wound 'audio' caps.

Take a google on Cardas and Auricap.

Jaap

Hey, made it to page 300 :D.

awpagan said:
had thought about the bc516 in the out[ut when i was biulding it, any diff in a sim?

allan

No, you can drop them right in.

rowemeister said:
Well the Black Gate caps certainy sound more open/clean than the LCR and AMPOHM caps.
They seem to allow the music to play with more pace too.

Yes it is tighter and its getting tighter with use too.

Brent

Hey, that's a nice result Brent. Did you by any chance compare them to parallel-super-E-config BG N/NX types?

Regards,

Ray.

disco said:
Because of DC offset?

No, the PWM-signals have to be subtracted (by the differential input stage in this case) to produce the desired output signal. See page 21 of the SM5872 datasheet. So it's nice to have two equal halves of the passive filter for each output :D.

rowemeister said:
I ordered some BG N when I ordered the BG AC but they sent BG C instead of the N so they have gone back.
I will test the difference when the replacements come

Brent

Hmmm, bummer. I'm curious what their sound will be like. Still haven't decided on my output caps yet...

Regards,

Ray.

disco said:
Forget the matching mate. From my experience stereo balance is indifferent to a 2% mismatch.

6h5c said:
But the RON/RO LON/LO sections of the filter need to be as equal as possible.

disco said:
Because of DC offset?

6h5c said:
No, the PWM-signals have to be subtracted (by the differential input stage in this case) to produce the desired output signal. See page 21 of the SM5872 datasheet. So it's nice to have two equal halves of the passive filter for each output :D.

Ray,
There's a slight misunderstanding going on as I wrote about the stereo balance being indifferent to a slight mismatch in coupling caps. Of cause filter components are to be as tight as possible, especially for the one following the DAC. Right?
Regards, Jaap

disco said:

Ray,
There's a slight misunderstanding going on as I wrote about the stereo balance being indifferent to a slight mismatch in coupling caps. Of cause filter components are to be as tight as possible, especially for the one following the DAC. Right?
Regards, Jaap

Jaap
understandable misunderstanding:D

as for the 1%
they are polypropylene not polyester.
cheaper for matching

if the BG's are out of production we are going to have to find something else:bawling:

allan