Marantz CD63 & CD67 mods list - Page 150 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th March 2006, 02:22 PM   #1491
mickie is offline mickie  Germany
diyAudio Member

Hi rowemeister,

...frankly: Exactly this is what i'm thinking about for quiet some time now but i'm afraid not to have enough clue to do this right; i will need some kind of "painting-by numbers" instructions here....

mickie
Old 24th March 2006, 02:23 PM   #1492
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SimontY
I've seen that before, I noticed this:

RESISTOR FOR LASER ON:
R136 JUMPER

Anyone done that?

I'm sorry Mickie but I don't know what your problem is. Maybe you just need to let the player settle, for a few hours or more. I know I can get shot down for this but I find after being messed with it takes a little while of being on for the full sound quality to be heard.
The standard KI took about 20 mins to get its self warmed up, now it needs a good hour.

Brent
Old 24th March 2006, 02:32 PM   #1493
SimontY is offline SimontY  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to SimontY
Quote:
Originally posted by mickie
Hi rowemeister,

...frankly: Exactly this is what i'm thinking about for quiet some time now but i'm afraid not to have enough clue to do this right; i will need some kind of "painting-by numbers" instructions here....

mickie
There are lots of us that don't know more than the basics and find this sort of work hard. I'm plucking up the courage to mess with additional psu rails in mine, and if anyone's interested I'll post enough photos to show exactly what's what, and say which parts go where etc.
Old 24th March 2006, 02:33 PM   #1494
diyAudio Member

Quote:
RESISTOR FOR LASER ON:
R136 JUMPER
Is this shorting the resistor to increase the laser current? Surely this will shorten the laser lifespan? My CD player is getting on a bit, but if it works, and I have a replacement part....

Mickie, building regulators is easy. Do you have the service manual, there is an example of how to wire up a regulator in there (look for the 7805 part). The hardest part is finding where to wire up the outputs on the board, but you're halfway there because the power rails have these inductors on them.
Cheers,
Phil
Old 24th March 2006, 02:33 PM   #1495
6h5c is offline 6h5c  Netherlands
One Seriously Addicted to Audio and Electronics
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Thanks,
the chokes also supposed to be 220uH; i did about 70% of the mods by now using blackgates all over; maybe there is too much HF-suppression now? The Ferrites...?

I'd like to try shortening the resistors (some guy recommended that; http://www.audioasylum.com/audio/twe...ages/6498.html )

Can i damage something doing this?

mickie
Hi Mickie,

The chokes are o.k., just leave everything as it is.
If you used Black Gates all over the place, give them some time to break in. At least a week, maybe two, with frequent listening every day.
Don't judge the sound immediately after a mod, especially with BG's. They need a loooong time to sound good.

After a while you can decide if you want to go on, and what to do next. But give it some time, otherwise you won't know which part of a mod is responsible for which sound....

Regards,

Ray.
Old 24th March 2006, 02:41 PM   #1496
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by 6h5c

Hi Mickie,

The chokes are o.k., just leave everything as it is.
If you used Black Gates all over the place, give them some time to break in. At least a week, maybe two, with frequent listening every day.
Don't judge the sound immediately after a mod, especially with BG's. They need a loooong time to sound good.

After a while you can decide if you want to go on, and what to do next. But give it some time, otherwise you won't know which part of a mod is responsible for which sound....

Regards,

Ray.
I reckon now I could tell someone which bit to mod for a particular improvement or what mods been done by what the modder has found from his sound.

Your mods don't count Ray I have not heard tubes etc

Brent
Old 24th March 2006, 02:43 PM   #1497
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by philpoole

Is this shorting the resistor to increase the laser current? Surely this will shorten the laser lifespan?

Cheers,
Phil
No, it will not increase laser current. This resistor is merely in series with the +5V that runs to the optical unit, for protection in case of short circuit. I don't see what jumpering this will bring .
Laser current is regulated by means of a feedback diode.

If you want to increase the laser current, get a scope and measure the amplitude of the HF signal on testpoint 9 or 11, and adjust it with the small trimmer on the back of the optical unit.

Ray.
Old 24th March 2006, 03:00 PM   #1498
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rowemeister
Also having a direct 5v supply to ic inputs will give you full current supply. No nasty resistors or inductors in the way.
They will give you filtering....PASSIVE filtering....

Quote:
Your mods don't count Ray I have not heard tubes etc

Brent
Well, get on with it then!

Ray.
Old 24th March 2006, 04:12 PM   #1499
mickie is offline mickie  Germany
diyAudio Member

Hello Ray,
.. i have some experience with the BG (indeed, i found they need about 1000 hours to break in to sound neutral) and i did the mods step by step to see in which direction i'm moving; as for the chokes, i experienced the "problem" after installing these.
I have to admit, its not that bad as it appears.... but....it slightly degraded sound for some reason.
Maybe not all of them? I suspect the ones near the DAC and the Op-Amps....i'm still confused.
I did some experiments with ferrites in the past on my mains-power-cable and i had a similar effect: smeared, blurry sound.

OK, i still have to bypass HDAM (op-Amps are BB 627 which i borrowed to test)

Maybe things will be "clearing up" on their own...

mickie
Old 24th March 2006, 04:41 PM   #1500
diyAudio Member

Quote:
OK, i still have to bypass HDAM (op-Amps are BB 627 which i borrowed to test)

Maybe things will be "clearing up" on their own...

mickie
Ah, the cursed HDAM is still active! Well, bypassing that will bring something, that's for sure .

Ray.

Hide this!Advertise here!