Marantz CD63 & CD67 mods list - Page 1477 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th July 2010, 06:43 PM   #14761
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UV101 View Post
LMAO Brilliant

Brent
Old 14th July 2010, 07:20 PM   #14762
diyAudio Member

ahh! understood. Andrex? sounds vaguely sinister
Old 14th July 2010, 10:12 PM   #14763
SimontY is offline SimontY  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to SimontY
Well all this audio talk got me soldering and I've spent hooouuuurs stripping down my Arcam and changing the decoder chip. It was worth it though, it's singing again. Damn, it sounds good! Such smoooothness and natural sound

Apologies for a totally irrelevant post lol
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF3933-1024.jpg (237.0 KB, 192 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF3934-1024.jpg (260.5 KB, 183 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF3935-1024.jpg (350.8 KB, 174 views)
File Type: jpg cdpex.jpg (118.0 KB, 174 views)
Old 15th July 2010, 12:05 AM   #14764
wdoerr is offline wdoerr  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Vas Das

Wishbone Ash? Nope, just the latest half completed board. 2 x +5VDC, +-10VDC and +-12VDC.

Now, what super reg to put on the outputs of version 1.1?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4605.jpg (204.7 KB, 176 views)
Old 15th July 2010, 02:55 PM   #14765
UV101 is offline UV101  England
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shepperd View Post
ahh! understood. Andrex? sounds vaguely sinister
You'd be right there!!! Andrex toilet paper

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimontY View Post
Well all this audio talk got me soldering and I've spent hooouuuurs stripping down my Arcam and changing the decoder chip. It was worth it though, it's singing again. Damn, it sounds good! Such smoooothness and natural sound

Apologies for a totally irrelevant post lol
Cool work! Its a right pain removing those chips!!! Glad you're back in business

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdoerr View Post
Wishbone Ash? Nope, just the latest half completed board. 2 x +5VDC, +-10VDC and +-12VDC.

Now, what super reg to put on the outputs of version 1.1?
Now there is a question! As always it depends on budget! You can use Ray regs fairly cheap (LM317/LM337 based) or you can go for commercial low noise regs like SPowers but then they are a bit more expensive! Personally I's go for as many SPowers or similar as I could afford!

Last edited by UV101; 15th July 2010 at 03:06 PM.
Old 16th July 2010, 04:26 PM   #14766
diyAudio Member

Brent, given that you have been modding these since the beginning and have gone thru every variation on the theme, I was wondering if you could talk about how the sound changes as you add more s'regs and other tweaks that you do. Obviously I have a vested interest in the answer
Old 16th July 2010, 06:40 PM   #14767
diyAudio Member

I can tell you Shep, because I've heard it and many other 63s that he's done, and several I've done. Once you've sorted the basics (as yours will be now I think, but don't know your full spec) you'll be getting most of the available detail level and smoothness.

As you add more supplies, regs and tweaks (coax runs, better resistors and silver mica caps etc.) the sound becomes just a little more dynamic, with even the tiniest strains of hardness disappearing. The music sounds congested and flat on many CDs because that's how it was produced. On natural, dynamic discs (those rare things) the sound has boundless dynamic range and near-perfect treble. The bass is that bit deeper. The separation between instruments will keep improving and the naturalness of female vocals too. I think male vocals won't ever be 100% through a CD63, personally, just maybe 99%.

I would say there is still plenty of "CD63" colouration, which perhaps comes from the NPC DAC chip itself. I expect most players or DACs will have some colouration, however.

I'm sure Brent himself can add to this as he is the one with that special player.
Old 16th July 2010, 09:33 PM   #14768
diyAudio Member

Thanks simon. I'm about half way to full specs I would guess, although Brent would know better, plus Ray's Dos board of course. Yes sometimes there is still some hardness and not the last word in transparency. I assume my 67 is close enough to the 63 as makes no great difference.
Old 17th July 2010, 11:31 AM   #14769
diyAudio Member

I'm not so sure. The separately clocked servo in the cd63 does help, as does the KI transformer. Moving the mods to a CD63KI and adding a second clock would be a big improvement. The CD63 is worse as standard because it uses a naff xtal on the servo and the servo driver opamps run from an unregulated supply. Regulate these supplies and re-clock the servo and CLARITY and DETAIL you couldn't imagine will emerge. But for you, you'd need a cd63 to get there. Don't worry though, a cd67 can provide musical bliss, I'm sure - and is cheaper to do because it doesn't need two clocks.
Old 18th July 2010, 05:27 PM   #14770
diyAudio Member

Simon, which af the above mods you mentioned would bring the most benefit? I'm pretty much stuck with my 67', having thrown a lot of cash into it, and I want to go as far as possible. I have a bunch of S'regs already, Brent's new caps, and whatever else he's done (not forgetting the DOS board and a hard-wired good power cord) I take it for granted that more S'regs equals less "dirt" and a cleaner sound. There's still some hardness, which may or may not be related and the player is not very forgiving. Sometimes it's magical and at other times a bit spitty and harsh. Depends on the recording of course, but not just...I should say that maybe my expectations are too hi and I would be amiss if I only concentrated on the negatives (the half-empty glass syndrome), which might be discouraging. Compared to a stock 67' (I have access to one for comparison) there's simply no contest. It is unrecognizable and leagues away from the original, which is just not listenable in a hi-rez. system. All due to this thread and especially Brent and Ray's work. I guess some of us can just never be satisfied!

Last edited by shepperd; 18th July 2010 at 05:47 PM.

Hide this!Advertise here!