Marantz CD63 & CD67 mods list - Page 1398 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd January 2010, 03:59 PM   #13971
SimontY is offline SimontY  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to SimontY
There are some big positives like the better imaging and hugely reduced edginess and paper thin midrange the CD63 tends to suffer with. Piano is notably improved. I just sort of miss the impact of the active stages. Furthermore vocals are a bit recessed, male and female.

The best output section is still easily Ray's passive filter + simple discrete active stage (of the options I've heard). Second best would be Burson discrete op-amps and no HDAM... I'm not sure where transformers fit in but it would suit some ears and systems very well I feel. Worst is either op-amps + HDAM or just op-amps, depending on your preference.

Simon
Old 23rd January 2010, 04:03 PM   #13972
diyAudio Member

Hmm, of all things Dr Dre sounds good on transformers. His production style is quite compressed and upfront but also well balanced in my opinion. Everything comes across with 20% less impact and 50% more smoothness, and that is a good thing. It's perhaps like vinyl with a bit less bass swagger and overall dynamics - and no crackle or limited frequency response.
Old 23rd January 2010, 08:41 PM   #13973
6h5c is offline 6h5c  Netherlands
One Seriously Addicted to Audio and Electronics
diyAudio Member

Quote:
The best output section is still easily Ray's passive filter + simple discrete active stage (of the options I've heard).

New DOS boards are on the way...

Ray
Old 24th January 2010, 03:45 PM   #13974
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6h5c View Post

Ray
Hi Ray,

Have you tried output transformers on a cd player? I've not reached a final conclusion yet... and they are getting better with some hours on them. Some music sounds very analogue with this set-up. Piano is rather decent.

Simon
Old 24th January 2010, 04:04 PM   #13975
poynton is offline poynton  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Location: A life on the ocean waves when I'm not at home in N. Wales (but I'm not Welsh so no sheep jokes!)
Simon,

I tried transformer output at the same time as I was trying the tube output.
(Admittedly, not for long .)

I thought the sound was very similar to the tube output I was trying at the time open, not too bright and a little shy on the bass but very nice to listen to.

I was using mic matching transformers but I cannot find the make etc.

Andy

Old 24th January 2010, 04:30 PM   #13976
diyAudio Member

Hi Andy, nice to hear some more impressions about the transformers. My Lundahls say they are for microphones on them but in reality they suit a variety of line level applications and are quite versatile having a good frequency response and twin primaries and secondaries.

I think connecting after the first op-amp could give what's missing and hopefully not ruin the mature, refined sound they give.

Simon
Old 24th January 2010, 05:08 PM   #13977
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimontY View Post
Hi Ray,

Have you tried output transformers on a cd player? I've not reached a final conclusion yet... and they are getting better with some hours on them. Some music sounds very analogue with this set-up. Piano is rather decent.

Simon
No, I never did. I stuck with the DOS, and never experimented any further, to be honest. They can sound very good (I have two big ones in my amp's output stage) but for line levels they just don't seem an appealing choice. Maybe i'm thinking too narrow-minded, but for me a tranny is useful when you need galvanic isolation, or stepping down AC voltage

Ray
Old 24th January 2010, 05:10 PM   #13978
diyAudio Member

Fair enough. I like the idea of just one passive component doing the summing and filtering, ready to connect to an amp, and the isolation is a bonus I think. As a valve guy it's the sort of thing I thought you'd like lol
Old 24th January 2010, 05:33 PM   #13979
diyAudio Member

You are absolutely right, it is a very good and simple solution for what is normally done by a lot more components. I should like it , but I don't know why I never got to it. I think it is also the large number of models to choose from, and to sort out which one is best for the task that held me back. But I guess if you buy a decent 1+1:1+1 you can't go wrong now that I look at it

Ray
Old 24th January 2010, 05:56 PM   #13980
diyAudio Member

Hi Guys,

I've had no succes in getting my 63 KI working, still blowing the fuses. I think i'm gonna buy a cheap 63 from fleabay and put the board in the KI case. Other than the obvious bits (tranny, hdam cans) what are the other main differences between the standard 63 and the KI???

Cheers
Jamie

Hide this!Advertise here!