Marantz CD63 & CD67 mods list

"Don't fix what ain't broke."
Depends on how good is you risk tolerance when disenganging and re-enganging the ribbon cables (and other stuff). If this is a walk in the park then reacting upon failure would be an acceptable route. Otherwise - once the board has been dug out of the player - it would be best to perform all the planned changes in one pass.

Interesting, for the most part I agree that one should not fix what is not broken. The 63 will load a CD but not read it. Cleaned the laser and no different. It worked fine for the most part but began skipping and then stopped reading the disc. I assume it is the laser gone bad but there easily could be more to it than that as I only played with it a bit and we replaced it with a Rega Saturn. He would like to rescue the 63 to play in his tv room. I am just assuming that after so many years replacing key components in the power supply would make a difference and keep it working at least up to the digital out as anything beyond that electronically is out of my abilities and I have changed caps in other power supplies. Thanks for the suggestions to get some part supplies.

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Aren't there already back-to-back 220uF at the output, as the schematic says?

Edited to say this schematic is not for the CD63....

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-05-02 at 11.00.18.png
    Screen Shot 2023-05-02 at 11.00.18.png
    366.7 KB · Views: 91
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Wow, bypass the HDAM? That's a great buffer circuit and you'll do more damage than good with a higher output impedance.
Removing coupling capacitors will also not change the sound at all, but will pass DC offsets.

Oh well, folks advising people to do things without any real understanding of the circuit and what they are really suggesting.