Marantz CD63 & CD67 mods list - Page 1340 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 26th October 2009, 09:28 AM   #13391
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn2 View Post
A minute's silence please for Matthieu's player.

Brent - sorry for OT - as you mod them, do you have the schematic for the output stage of the Dacmagic (or 740C)?
No manual sorry. They do as with all CA equipment have really crappy parts.

Brent
Old 26th October 2009, 09:30 AM   #13392
diyAudio Member

Thats bad news Malefoda. Better luck next time

Brent
Old 29th October 2009, 07:39 PM   #13393
diyAudio Member

Guys.... I've found it.... and I'm lost.

I've found out this great thread with so much info about my first ever CD-player, which I was about to junk out, but now see enough potential for to be modified and bring me many more happy hours....

But I've lost where to start. Checked out TNT, Ray's page, many more resources online and this thread... but I've completely lost oversight, since you guys are lightyears ahead of me...

Anyway, I would like to tweak my virgin CD63SE, and need some pointers at what brings good improvements for a beginner in DIY audio....

Clock?
Opamps?
Output stage caps?
Dac decoupling caps?
Power supply?

Where to start??
Old 31st October 2009, 07:42 PM   #13394
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to Malefoda
My advice: junk it! I'm holding a junkyard, send it to me
Before we can answer you MUST mind how much you wanna spend...
Right now, if your amp is not modded and normal commrecial stuff, remove the 4 DC blocking caps ( jumpers ). While you're at it remove the 4? transistors around.
Order via National Semi a pair of LM4562 and then bypass the HDAM. Let them breath with LM317/337 regs at +/-12V with something like Panasonic FC or Rubycon ZL there, then Black Gates 220µF/16V at op amps. If you buy BG caps then take some other for Decoder and Dac's PS lines ( 6?), but Rubycon ZL/H ZA will do very good there also.
Find a LM340AT 5V for the main regulator, put a Styroflex 2.2nF at the decoder input side, 2x 4 schottky rectifiers for the -/+ 12V and 5Vs.
That's mainly caps wich are expensive and your player will already be a good one for few work.

Then you should go for a clock and it's dedicated PSU and may separate 5Vs even with 7805s, that's extra work and need more than just parts swap.

Virgin sounds like boring now to me, I'm even scared to be sadly disapointed when back to mine rebuild, I just had an ear to a LP right now and I find it's way better in bass and dynamic... waaaaayyy better... maybe it's because I'm playing CD on a "40 sec. memory -means compressed buffered-" portable CD player?...

Do that and tell us.

Last edited by Malefoda; 31st October 2009 at 07:47 PM.
Old 31st October 2009, 09:17 PM   #13395
RCruz is offline RCruz  Switzerland
diyAudio Member

Hi Matthieu

I believe you made a perfect sumary of the main mods.

The LM340AT for the main +5v and the styroflex 2.2n at the decoder are really sound openers.
The LM4562 on dedicated regs are very powerfull mods (of course one needs to loose the HDAM and output caps and resistors)

PS: What type of TT are you using ?

Ricardo

Last edited by RCruz; 31st October 2009 at 09:24 PM.
Old 31st October 2009, 09:44 PM   #13396
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to Malefoda
Hi Ricardo,
long time now I have not listened to my CD-53... so I'm switching from that portable player to the TT, still that simple Toshiba TurnTable Servicing: Toshiba SR-300C and its Shure M91ED with NOS needle.
The record can have its influence, it's Rush "Signals", none of my (yes burnt ones... I know... ) so none of the MFSL or Re-Master does that "real world" thing than my LP, a better mastering?
I wish I have Karen Dalton "It's so hard to tell" LP, her voice is so... different... have to try this guys!
My DOSed CD-53 is only a " as far as I can remember " now, even if I remeber well that reclocking the Servo did bring some serious bass that my DM4 can show ( before not trace of bass at all !).
I'll report ASAP.

Matthieu
Old 1st November 2009, 07:44 AM   #13397
diyAudio Member

Malefoda -

Thanks for the tips. Just ordered a sample package of LM4562, and Eddie Wang's LM317/337 kit (recommended by Ray).

Now browsing caps... black gates seem to have disappeared. 220uF/16v are nowhere to be found. Any alternatives recommended for the opamps?
Old 1st November 2009, 10:26 AM   #13398
diyAudio Member

Talk to Lee... he may be able to help you with the BG.

If not, try getting some Silmic II and please report the results.

My 2C: Do only one mod at the time so you can surely tell where the improvements came from

Ricardo
Old 1st November 2009, 10:33 AM   #13399
diyAudio Member

As for the opamps some of us had also very good results with the LME49720.
Old 1st November 2009, 02:55 PM   #13400
diyAudio Member

Today lost my virginity, but not without pain...

First removed the transistors and resistors of the muting circuit. Listening test everything ok, sound seems to have changed for the better....

Then removed also the 4 caps. Listening test: no sound. Measured some DC voltage of 3.2mV at the analog outputs, but not sure whether that's the cause (amp did not go into protect or anything).

So I must have removed too much... but what? Resistors?

Hide this!Advertise here!