Marantz CD63 & CD67 mods list - Page 1304 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 3rd September 2009, 09:02 PM   #13031
diyAudio Member

Hi simon i have played a few cds today and the 63 sounds good but i think the 67 was slightly more detailed and i think the midrange on the 67 was better on the 63 it sounds a little thin and blured. It seems to me that the 63 needs alot of money to get it to sound perfect. But i have only had a few hours listening and it could be down to some thing else like dirty mains signal so to be fair it needs longer listening
Old 3rd September 2009, 10:13 PM   #13032
SimontY is offline SimontY  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to SimontY
Odd! I thought it sounded really good. Give it some good hours then see if you think it needs more. No way was a CD67 better, it simply can't be!
Old 3rd September 2009, 10:39 PM   #13033
diyAudio Member

YES will do simon like i said i cant be sure it needs more listening to be fair but you did a grat job and im really gratefull coudn't have done it with out you mate
Old 4th September 2009, 07:59 AM   #13034
Chivvyp is offline Chivvyp  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Default Opamp Oscillation

Hi,

I've read various notes here about opamps oscillating.

I don't think I've ever seen anything describing the symptoms of this, how to recognise opamp oscillation from some other problem.

I don't suppose it's a motor boat sound that can suddenly come on after 3-4 hours playing (my current problem with an old 373 )

Regards

Pete
Old 4th September 2009, 08:43 AM   #13035
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to Malefoda
Quote:
Originally Posted by padman View Post
Hi all if anyone feels like emailing me the idiots guide to using 7805s in a 63 i would really appreciate it Ian ic read 37 at hot mail dot co dot uk
I did like that:
moved the PS caps closer to ICs at the small bypass one place, use the left space from lytic caps to fit ground pin and output pin of the 7805, bend the input in air and wire it to my voltage input. You'll have to remove the original link to 5V from the player.
Check this Simon's how to for where to check:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showt...482#post912482

About judging the CDP sound all have been said. I've caught myself only using my last new records on... CDR, then shifted to good old CDs I know well. Damn, the player is more upgraded that I tought! Faster, holding the bottom far better. I also do not have the hyper speakers or top class amp... that tempers my listenings a lot.

Last edited by Malefoda; 4th September 2009 at 08:48 AM.
Old 4th September 2009, 09:59 AM   #13036
padman is offline padman  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Thanks Malefoda

I think i may be able to follow that, i have some questions though.....

This is what i have to hand for main smoother i have 2x1000 35v elnas removed from 67 or 2x1000 25v rjh elnas
for a cap before and after i have 220 16v silmics or 100 25v cerafines
My guess would be 1xrjh main then silmics

Could i use both rjhs to increase value? if so would i run them in series or parallel?
Just to make sure series would be +/-+/- parallel +/+ -/-

Did i mention an idiots guide?

Cheers Ian

Last edited by padman; 4th September 2009 at 10:01 AM. Reason: wrong name used
Old 4th September 2009, 10:17 AM   #13037
diyAudio Member

If by removed caps you mean 15 year old ones put them in trash but to repair your rice cooker if needed.
I had no caps after as it will be just at the cap it will feed, or fit them in a remote place and use caps. For before I don't know, mine were fine without but I find the 1µF MKS I have with the 317 does a nice job.
Old 4th September 2009, 10:29 AM   #13038
padman is offline padman  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Ok if i go with just the main smoother, (rjh as they are new) should i use 2 as they are only 1000uf?
Old 4th September 2009, 10:58 AM   #13039
Chivvyp is offline Chivvyp  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malefoda View Post
holding the bottom far better. lot.
Is that holding the players's bottom or your own? Does that really improve the sound, I'll have to try it this weekend

Pete
Old 4th September 2009, 12:11 PM   #13040
diyAudio Member

You misunderstand me (again, I may not handle english that well); I meant the player has improved more than what I tought buy judging it with new records and on CDR. The changes were more obvious with pressed CDs I know for years, e.g. The Almighty "Powertrippin" has the clearer bass I've heard on my CDPs, which means it's better than if it was worst or at the same level.
I guess pressed CDs help the sound a bit, I find, without having burnt CDs I own to compare, that the player gets more from a real CD.
Should try with SHM-CD and Gold like MFSL ones.
And as the regulated drivers should add to that my player will be a very good deal... at least I have to convince me

Hide this!Advertise here!