Marantz CD63 & CD67 mods list

avr300 said:

Has it been treated with some kind of spray asbestos to prevent further fire ?

"Asbestos is a mineral fiber that has been used commonly in a variety of building construction materials for insulation and as a fire-retardant."

:spin:

and once you get the fibres in your lungs that's it
asbestosis kills very slowly and James Hardie Industries know.

stay away from any asbestos!!!!!!!!!!!!

allan

avr300 said:

Has it been treated with some kind of spray asbestos to prevent further fire ?

"Asbestos is a mineral fiber that has been used commonly in a variety of building construction materials for insulation and as a fire-retardant."

:spin:

Nope. I'll just be more careful in the future, and actually, there are only a few more must-do mods, including dedicated servo regs and redoing my clock psu, and feeding my dac regs with a dedicated psu.

In the meantime it's in the hands of a pro, receiving some much-needed TLC :D

Gooch said:
Hello everyone

I got another CD63 it is stock for the most part someone replaced the RCA's and power cord. However it doesn’t play CD's it has trouble reading disc and skips. I did the basics cleaned the laser ECT. A tech looks at it and said it had a bad laser so it was replaced but that didn't fix it. How he thinks it the logic chip he said he didn’t have a service manual I offered him a copy of mine but he doesn’t want to fool with he thinks it’s the logic chip. The owner doesn’t want to spend the money to fix it so it’s mine. I don't think it is the logic chip because I took the transport assembly out of mine put in it then the new one worked fine and vice versa and it didn't work in mine. Could it be something to do with Q101,Q102, and Q103 It Has to be something to do with the RF Amp PCB if the problem travels from one player to the other.

Any suggestion.

Regards,

Dave

Try swapping the pcbs over.
C106 may be faulty

Brent

rowemeister said:
C106 is on that pcb. Next to the 3 transistors. 10uf 25V.
Brent

Yep, that did it for me. Plus cleaning the complete flatcable with alcohol. You can carefully whipe the connectors contacts with a clean toothbrush. Use compressed air to remove dust, if any.
Try inserting the flatcable not to the bottom (2 mm or 1 tenth of an inch less) to get a stronger fit.

Jaap

Originally posted by rowemeister

Yeah very good work Ray.

Brent

Originally posted by awpagan

nice work Ray:D

How long did it take you to remove all the unused pcb components?
Is this the reason why brent's is heavier than yours:clown:

Me, I'll take the easy way and make another pcb for the passive and fets:)

allan

ps good luck with the tda1541a's

Thanks guys!

Clearing the HDAM area is a bit of a tricky job. Especially the transistors are bent very nasty. You have to be careful not to destroy the fragile pads. I used some wick to get rid of most of the solder and then straighten the legs a bit by bending and heating until they come out. Or just cut them if you don't plan to use them :D.

Ray.

Gooch said:
Hello everyone

Ok this is what I did replaced C106 there was no change
Swapped HF Amp PCB on to the other transport it worked fine.
So I guest it must be something in the laser I don’t know
:confused:
Regards,
Dave

Hello Dave,

Your CD63 has trouble initiating and skips from time to time, right?
Question: does it ever play normal or doesn't it play at all?

If it is playing sometimes:
Cause #1 could be dried lubrication on the metal rod underneath the laser. Clean the rod with a clean cloth and 90% alcohol.
Cause #2 could be a bad connection. Clean the ribbons' contacts (the one on the left, seen from the front). You might try lifting the ribbon 1/10 inch within the connector (at both sides).

If it isn't playing at all the cause can be electrical or the laser current may need to be corrected. Have you tried your working CDM12 in the new player?

Regards, Jaap

Re: Re: Re: CD63 Logic Problem??

pantera6 said:

Hi Ray,

Thanks for your suggestions:). I'd love to have said that this was the cause, but I did not take out either C521 or U193 :(. They are still original values.... all I did was replace the PCB track with coax. I cut the PCB track from U193 to C521 and put the coax in place. Any ideas as to what else it may be? :(

Thanks very much Brent.... something to check this evening :) ...so there's still hope :xfingers: I'll keep you guys posted...this one really has me stumped!

Cheers Guys,
Champi

Well, after much fiddling around, I finally found the culprit!! The Radial Error (Error 10) and the strange characters on the display turned out to be a broken off ground on U101 (on the transport's daughter board). As per Ray's suggestions, I re-soldered all the joints around the microprocessor and replaced the fuses for good measure. The strange characters dissapperared at that stage, but the CD player was still showing the radial error. :eek: Thinking it would be somthing to do with the motor, I pulled out the transport and daughter board.... That's when I realised that U101 had broken off since I used this point to connect the daughter board to my star earth. Must have yanked it off when removing the main board. :rolleyes: As such, there was no ground for U102 and all the stuff that connects to it.

Now the player works great (as well as before), although for some reason, my remote has died on me :cannotbe: (I did take the front panel off to tighten the flex cable that attaches to the front panel). Oh well.... more to investigate... and I'll re try that that tight tollerance clock crystal replacement and report back on any findings.

I'm just happy to have (great) music again!!! I so missed the old girl... she's a labour of love! :) Thank's for all your suggestions that lead to the solution!

Champi.