Marantz CD63 & CD67 mods list

6h5c said:

Hey Brent,

Nice work!
Pity I don't have a separate servo in my 67 to try it :sad:
Remarkable improvement in sound. Probably the use of coax has something to do with that too.
It gets rid of a lot of radiated HF.

Regards,

Ray.

Hi Ray.

Check out the spec sheet for the SAA7372.

Pin 21 is the clock in and can be 8.4.. or 16.9..

It normally receives a signal from the main clock via the pcb but ....?

I cannot try as I have a '63
It looks like Marantz thought of it first but implemented badly

Andy

poynton said:
Hi Ray.

Check out the spec sheet for the SAA7372.

Pin 21 is the clock in and can be 8.4.. or 16.9..

It normally receives a signal from the main clock via the pcb but ....?

I cannot try as I have a '63
It looks like Marantz thought of it first but implemented badly

Andy

Yeah, I noticed that...:D
I'm thinking about feeding the decoder straight off the clock module, just like the DAC, instead of using CKO.

Regards,

Ray.

6h5c said:

Yeah, I noticed that...:D
I'm thinking about feeding the decoder straight off the clock module, just like the DAC, instead of using CKO.

Regards,

Ray.

some of the clocks have two or three outputs to sync SPDIF and external DAC's

I had thought of Dac and decoder for my CD850 a while ago.

this was discussed with Lar's (LCaudio) and Guido(TENT) and others
in a thread somewhere.

allan

awpagan said:
some of the clocks have two or three outputs to sync SPDIF and external DAC's

allan

Hi Allan,

I ordered some PFM Flea PCB's. I have a Tent-XO oscillator laying around, and i'm going to see how that works. It has a double output.

avr300 said:
http://www.acoustica.org.uk/

Right in the middle. PFM Flea. Great powersupply for your Tent XO.

avr300, thanks for bringing it up! Forgot all about that project.

Regards,

Ray.

U're welcome Ray. After all, you started this thread - loooong ago.

The Flea surely is great stuff.

Next project is 2 Fleas for powering the DAC (clock and PWM) substituting my two LM317. And also a 74ls74 on the second output pin of the Tent XO , feeding the 8.46MHz to the servo - thanks to Brent for the inspiration.

Here it is, hovering above the mainpcb in my 63. Still waiting for the correct WIMA film caps, so its running temporary. It's powered exclusively from a small tanny.

Nice, isn't it ?;)

Attachments

• img_5803 (small).jpg
    img_5803 (small).jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 486
avr300 said:
U're welcome Ray. After all, you started this thread - loooong ago.

I just looked at post #1: it's been over a year. Time flies.
I couldn't help smiling when I saw how many times the PDF's have been downloaded :).

The Flea surely is great stuff.

Next project is 2 Fleas for powering the DAC (clock and PWM) substituting my two LM317. And also a 74ls74 on the second output pin of the Tent XO , feeding the 8.46MHz to the servo - thanks to Brent for the inspiration.

Here it is, hovering above the mainpcb in my 63. Still waiting for the correct WIMA film caps, so its running temporary. It's powered exclusively from a small tanny.

Nice, isn't it ?;)

Yeah, it's a very cool PCB, I like it :D.
I'm going to use a small PSU too, to power the Flea. I'll post sme pics when it's up-and-running.
I'm curious if I can hear any difference compared to the other Colpitts clock.

Regards,

Ray.

always willing to listen and learn

looking at the flea pcb i finally have the answer as to whether the
Tent XO module will drive more than one clock output.

I knew Lar's and Tents XO3's (full board's with psu) would drive mutiple clock outs, just wasn't sure about how on the Tent module.

Time to mod my clock board to drive the decoder as well:D

allan

ps.
The Flea is a nice little pcb, will have to try it also.

Evening all,

Sunday night modding for me. Got my 1st reg pcb installed and working. Oh my, this one actually worked first time, amazing or what?! :smash:

The 3 regs feed DAC analogue (through U200 - lifted at the supply end), DAC digital (though the hole of RD04) and XTAL psu (through RD01).

It's very early to say what it's done for the sound, but it's instantly recognisable as an improvement. It seems to sound more controlled yet more nimble and articulated; more refinement and detail and space. I think the bass has a broader range of textures. :cloud9:

Anyway, let's not get carried away, lol. It's better and a very cheap upgrade!! :cool:

Simon

Attachments

• installed.jpg
    installed.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 447
Hehe

I listened to the old servo clock mod over weekend and I can confirm there are very good audio gains.

The finest of details in the higher frequancies are very clear, the sound stage is open and the bass is very very deep.

I still need to sort some problems out with it though!

If the player is tapped it will skip and lose sync very easily, also with the lid off and you move your hands near the ic it can lose sync.
I believe this is the same problem.

Im going to fit a resistor and caps between the clock and the ic (like between Dac and Decoder) see if this helps. Also I may fit the ic pcb right next to the servo.

Brent

rowemeister said:
Hehe

I listened to the old servo clock mod over weekend and I can confirm there are very good audio gains.

The finest of details in the higher frequancies are very clear, the sound stage is open and the bass is very very deep.

I still need to sort some problems out with it though!

If the player is tapped it will skip and lose sync very easily, also with the lid off and you move your hands near the ic it can lose sync.
I believe this is the same problem.

Im going to fit a resistor and caps between the clock and the ic (like between Dac and Decoder) see if this helps. Also I may fit the ic pcb right next to the servo.

Brent

are you using 8mhz or 16 for the decoder?

allan