Marantz CD63 & CD67 mods list - Page 112 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st March 2006, 12:15 PM   #1111
diyAudio Member

Aah,
Its a direct replacment. That makes a lot more sense!
Old 1st March 2006, 12:31 PM   #1112
poynton is offline poynton  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Location: A life on the ocean waves when I'm not at home in N. Wales (but I'm not Welsh so no sheep jokes!)
Quote:
Originally posted by philpoole

............ so thought it was worth a punt.................

Is the Irish pound different a weight to British coinage?
Old 1st March 2006, 12:36 PM   #1113
diyAudio Member

The punt might be a bit heavier.

There is definitely scope for experimentation!
Old 1st March 2006, 12:57 PM   #1114
adfinni is offline adfinni  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

I have a 5 coin, maybe i should use that somewhere in the player. At least it will increase its value

I'm about to buy a number of the replacement caps listed in rays pdf at teh start of the thread, but i was wondering what caps i should put between the opamps (C611-614)?
I saw that row ordered some 25V/470uF BG caps, but i can't afford those, so should i use either 16V470uF Panasonic FC's, or an RS audiograde Series Starget:

http://rswww.com/cgi-bin/bv/rswww/su...eID=uknetscape

Quote:
Originally posted by rowemeister

adfinni

I placed the +/- 12V regs next to the op amps. Closer the better , less likely to pick up any noise and current drop would also be less (its only tiny but its there).

Also since doing this I downloaded the CD17 KI manual and they put the 2 12v regs right next to the HDAM and on the CD 6000 they are between Hdam and opamps.

So I must be doing something right

Regarding the 5V super reg.... buy another one for 16 off ebay and mount them on a custom pcb and use one for the digital 5v to the DAC and Decoder. Then use the otherone for the analogue 5v on the same ic's. Make sure you have some better than standard caps near the dac/decoder.

Also if you can run these two regs from a small custom TX it will be even better. If HDAM and muting is removed and you fit 12v regs next to opamps you can take the +20v from C803 for the 5v regs.

Also run the clock off a +12V super reg

All this will give you a very good improvement.

Hope I have not confused you

I guess that the 12V regs will just slip into the pcb when i remove the old ones ?

Unfortunately, audiocom have no more super-regs on ebay, and im not paying 30 for a q-power on there, or 45 for the new sup-reg 2, as id rather put that money into upgrading the caps across the board, and towards getting an IEC socket sorted.

So where should i put the single 5V reg that i get? I was going to do the HDAM bypass after i get the op-amps sorted during easter, but could i do it now when i fit all the caps, clock, and 3x regs? If i took power from C803 how would i connect it up to the reg?

Actually, itl be better if i ask for fitting advice when i open up the player and get the parts+ some instructions in.

Thanks row, im still a bit confused

thanks
Old 1st March 2006, 01:29 PM   #1115
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by adfinni
I have a 5 coin, maybe i should use that somewhere in the player. At least it will increase its value

I'm about to buy a number of the replacement caps listed in rays pdf at teh start of the thread, but i was wondering what caps i should put between the opamps (C611-614)?
I saw that row ordered some 25V/470uF BG caps, but i can't afford those, so should i use either 16V470uF Panasonic FC's, or an RS audiograde Series Starget:

http://rswww.com/cgi-bin/bv/rswww/su...eID=uknetscape

I guess that the 12V regs will just slip into the pcb when i remove the old ones ?

Unfortunately, audiocom have no more super-regs on ebay, and im not paying 30 for a q-power on there, or 45 for the new sup-reg 2, as id rather put that money into upgrading the caps across the board, and towards getting an IEC socket sorted.

So where should i put the single 5V reg that i get? I was going to do the HDAM bypass after i get the op-amps sorted during easter, but could i do it now when i fit all the caps, clock, and 3x regs? If i took power from C803 how would i connect it up to the reg?

Actually, itl be better if i ask for fitting advice when i open up the player and get the parts+ some instructions in.

Thanks row, im still a bit confused

thanks
The 16V 470uF BG caps are only 2.41 + VAT and p&p

http://www.hificollective.co.uk/comp...gate_caps.html

The Starget are actually Elna and are nice caps.

You will be better putting 12v regs right next to op amps, trust me
Old 1st March 2006, 01:38 PM   #1116
diyAudio Member

adfinni,

I have only used standard 7805 regulators in my mods so far, and the results are stunning. Admittedly, I haven't done anything with regulating the 12V rails yet, especially moving the regs closer, and I will do that with 7x12s first.
I admit it is a big expense at first, so I'm going for the off the shelf regulators first, with a view to upgrading them later.

The standard 7805 is about 20p. Ideal for experimenting.

Modding to better regs after should be trivial (although I am assuming the pinout is the same).

I've got some Stargets in my 63. Lovely! In fact, I've never used black gates. It is something I want to get round to doing at some point. But the Elna's sound cracking as they are.
Old 1st March 2006, 01:47 PM   #1117
diyAudio Member

Quote:
adfinni,

I have only used standard 7805 regulators in my mods so far, and the results are stunning. Admittedly, I haven't done anything with regulating the 12V rails yet, especially moving the regs closer, and I will do that with 7x12s first.
I admit it is a big expense at first, so I'm going for the off the shelf regulators first, with a view to upgrading them later.

Modding to better regs after should be trivial (although I am assuming the pinout is the same).

I've got some Stargets in my 63. Lovely! In fact, I've never used black gates. It is something I want to get round to doing at some point. But the Elna's sound cracking as they are.
I have modded many cd63 with 7805 running different rails. The out come is amazing.

The 7805 can be replaced by audiocom super regs. These are a direct replacement too

Brent
Old 1st March 2006, 01:49 PM   #1118
poynton is offline poynton  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Location: A life on the ocean waves when I'm not at home in N. Wales (but I'm not Welsh so no sheep jokes!)
Quote:
adfinni,

I have only used standard 7805 regulators in my mods so far, and the results are stunning. ................ so I'm going for the off the shelf regulators first, with a view to upgrading them later.

As has been said before elsewhere in this thread, the BIG problem with the '63 [and probably most other 'budget' cd players] is they were designed by accountants! Why use a 'proper' power supply when one 5v reg. will work.

Separating the 5v lines works wonders - even with 'off-the-shelf' regulators !

Andy

PS you beat me to it, again, Rowe. Must learn to type faster !
Old 1st March 2006, 01:56 PM   #1119
adfinni is offline adfinni  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

thanks guys

Those BG caps are much better value there than over at audiocom. 2.41 aint bad, but 4 would be a tenner, and id rather try the cheaper starget (elna) caps @ 1 a piece. I'm a scrounging student don't you know

I'm in contact with ray whose is advising me to use 100n XR7, and 100n PPS ceramic caps in parallel with some of the modified caps listed in the original pdf.

Il wait and see if more of the super-regs come up on ebay, but for now, where is the best place to put the one 5V super-reg i have

Ta
Old 1st March 2006, 02:06 PM   #1120
diyAudio Member

Look at this

They use the same TX as my 3

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Audiocom-Super...QQcmdZViewItem

Hide this!Advertise here!