Marantz CD63 & CD67 mods list - Page 107 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th February 2006, 04:09 PM   #1061
SimontY is offline SimontY  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to SimontY
Quote:
Originally posted by mickie
I also changed the op-amps into OPA 2134 (i had them) - and the sound got worse (lifeless, grainy, harsh)!
I didn't expect that the 2134 are worse than the JRC...any of you had similar experiences?
I found it smoother than the original, but bland and lifeless as you say, and only slightly harsh. OPA2604 is extremely harsh, and it adds some sort of false excitement. I couldn't live with it. OPA627 x 2 is just nothing like the others in any way. Completely superior.

Quote:
Originally posted by philpoole

Not when you used the old phonos years ago for something elsewhere and ended up using the 'remote control' phonos instead! D'oh!
Besides, I started using the new phonos when bypassing the HDAM. That way I could do a comparison. Now the HDAM is completely disconnected, and I am happier with the new connectors.

I think with this kind of project you do reach a point when its going to get progressively harder to work on the board. That's just the way it is.
Yeh, I agree, bound to happen! Good to plan the order of mods based on how much you mess up access to the pcb..

Quote:
Originally posted by 6h5c
I leave the rear panel on also, but I took off the hook-shaped thingies that lock into the side panels.
That way you can slide the PCB in quite easy.

Ray.
Ahh, so those little ears might be causing some trouble. I'll bend them away or something and try.

Quote:
The power supply is also an important factor.
Indeed, and with all of mine in sockets I had 33uF Panasonic FC caps at + and - voltages to ground. I think this is crucial. It also had a large impact just adding these same caps in my pre-amp (it had OPA2134, altho believe it or not I prefer LM6172 - never heard of that in a preamp before, but I trust my ears- it has PRAT, altho it's not 'perfect', a bit raw).
Old 28th February 2006, 04:15 PM   #1062
poynton is offline poynton  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Location: A life on the ocean waves when I'm not at home in N. Wales (but I'm not Welsh so no sheep jokes!)
Default Re: Re: Analogue supply to the DAC

Quote:
Originally posted by ash_dac

Could we not reclock the outputs ?

Quote:
...............Hmmm...reclocking...don't know if that will gain something....................

Hi.

The outputs - LO/LON, RO/RON - cannot be reclocked for the following reasons.

1. We are talking about Pulsewidth modulation. The pulse WIDTH varies!

2. The start/end of the pulse is not fixed - it is the centre.

3. Sampling the centre of the pulse would serve no purpose as it defines nothing!

The voltage at the outputs (LO/LON, RO/RON) of the DAC is irrelevant since the op amp sees both (common mode).

Andy
Old 28th February 2006, 04:26 PM   #1063
mickie is offline mickie  Germany
diyAudio Member

Quote:
You should be careful around the digital chips though. Use a good electrolytic with an X7R ceramic or PPS (even better) in parallel, as close to the supply pins as possible.
Ok, what are "PPS"?

By the way: If opamps are broken/fried or inserted the wrong way - will i still have sound? When i first heard the 2134 this came to my mind, so i checked their position immediately...but indeed, maybe a 2604 would be better suited....i'm going to use BB627/AD8610 anyway soon...

Another issue that came up is the fact that the player has problems to read cd-r; i mean, discs are played and recognized well, but i can't choose the titles directly sometimes; it keeps kind of "screeching/whistling" and then stopping/turning off.
I cleaned the lense, but didn't change anything.
Burned-out laser maybe?

mickie
Old 28th February 2006, 04:33 PM   #1064
diyAudio Member

While we're on what systems we use, and I'm sorry I may have said before earlier (very long thread)...

cd63ki (audiocom dvc-1 clock+big psu, no hdam, twin opa627bp op-amps, no output caps or transistors, new sockets, matched resistors around opas, some bigger and/or better caps, shielded chips (all of them), some jumpered tracks (esp. gnd), bitumen, blue tack (transport + bar and lid and chassis), oak cone feet, some schottkys, mains choke and caps, off 500va iso. tx and fed with massive cat5 braided lead, psu resistors changed to inductors + beads, some other components near output [bypassed and] removed.

pre - Rod Elliot kit pre-amp, now using LM6172 x 2, powered thru iso tx and mains filter.

power - LM3886, completely dual mono, mdf chassis, p2p.

speakers - Seas H571 mid/basses in reflex MTM with noFerro 900 and nice x-over parts

sub - Tempest (15" long throw) in ported 260L box (good to 20hz at 110db or more) from 45hz.

wires - nice ones, not too much nasty teflon or silver plating (no offence Ray, maybe these things are ok with tubes).
Old 28th February 2006, 04:34 PM   #1065
diyAudio Member

Location: A life on the ocean waves when I'm not at home in N. Wales (but I'm not Welsh so no sheep jokes!)
Quote:
Originally posted by mickie
................it keeps kind of "screeching/whistling" and then stopping/turning off. ...............

Hi.

This may sound silly..........

Place a 1 euro coin in the centre of the spinning clamp and see if the noise goes..........( I use a 10p coin)

There was a Marantz/Philips repair note circulated for early CDM12 mechs. along these lines. I think a plain steel disk was supplied. Later cdm's were different with a heavier centre.

Andy
Old 28th February 2006, 04:36 PM   #1066
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SimontY
While we're on what systems we use, and I'm sorry I may have said before earlier (very long thread)...

cd63ki (audiocom dvc-1 clock+big psu, no hdam, twin opa627bp op-amps, no output caps or transistors, new sockets, matched resistors around opas, some bigger and/or better caps, shielded chips (all of them), some jumpered tracks (esp. gnd), bitumen, blue tack (transport + bar and lid and chassis), oak cone feet, some schottkys, mains choke and caps, off 500va iso. tx and fed with massive cat5 braided lead, psu resistors changed to inductors + beads, some other components near output [bypassed and] removed.

pre - Rod Elliot kit pre-amp, now using LM6172 x 2, powered thru iso tx and mains filter.

power - LM3886, completely dual mono, mdf chassis, p2p.

speakers - Seas H571 mid/basses in reflex MTM with noFerro 900 and nice x-over parts

sub - Tempest (15" long throw) in ported 260L box (good to 20hz at 110db or more) from 45hz.

wires - nice ones, not too much nasty teflon or silver plating (no offence Ray, maybe these things are ok with tubes).

What about the 200+ 7" speakers from Ebay
Old 28th February 2006, 04:55 PM   #1067
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by poynton
What about the 200+ 7" speakers from Ebay
Well remembered (altho the number is wrong )... they're not incorporated into the system yet tho, and may never be...underwhelming, but there's potential I just use them correctly I think.

See this post for a pic of the madness so far:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showt...362#post838362

Sorry to be OT guys...back to the CDP
Old 28th February 2006, 05:34 PM   #1068
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Place a 1 euro coin in the centre of the spinning clamp and see if the noise goes..........( I use a 10p coin)
Mine is quite old I guess, and has a feather light clamp. Might it be beneficial to add weight here? (even tho it generally works ok)
Old 28th February 2006, 05:50 PM   #1069
diyAudio Member

Quote:

Hi.

This may sound silly..........

There was a Marantz/Philips repair note circulated for early CDM12 mechs. along these lines. I think a plain steel disk was supplied. Later cdm's were different with a heavier centre.

Andy
Yes it was a mod. New clamps were suplied with a larger metal disc to stop the resonance.

If the disc in the clamp top it the size of a 5p coin its an old type,
newer ones were 10p size
Old 28th February 2006, 06:02 PM   #1070
6h5c is offline 6h5c  Netherlands
One Seriously Addicted to Audio and Electronics
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Re: Re: Analogue supply to the DAC

Quote:
Hi.

The outputs - LO/LON, RO/RON - cannot be reclocked for the following reasons.

1. We are talking about Pulsewidth modulation. The pulse WIDTH varies!
2. The start/end of the pulse is not fixed - it is the centre.
3. Sampling the centre of the pulse would serve no purpose as it defines nothing!

Andy
Duh, I know that! Shame on me....
I'm too busy with my tubestage, didn't pay enough attention

Ray.

Hide this!Advertise here!