Marantz CD63 & CD67 mods list

After a lot of testing and swapping bits I found that Q105 was half dead - pins 7&8 (laser diode) were zero volts, although 5&6 were OK at 2.5V. All surounding components checked out OK so I swapped the opamp out with ones from my old board and eventually found one that still worked. I now have a working servo section, player reads & plays disks and all the waveforms look good - just the dead DAC to fix.

Now i have wilma 22nf capacitors ... i'am trying to guess from various pictures found on the web how to place across the electrolytic capacitors.
From what i guess is it correct to apply in the rear pcb accross electrolytic + / - connection or should i have to apply the bypass from the positive pole of the electrolitic capacitor to another point on the ground in the pcb ?

I don't understant were to put bypass film capacitors as described in the link.
Could anyone post a picture of where they must be placed (if i undestood on the other side of the PCB board).

In my modest CD-67 mod I placed the 100nF rail decoupling capacitors under the opamps.
As I have understood these caps have to be soldered as near to the opamp as possible.

The film caps over lytics are something that I have never tried - I do not think I can hear their presence.

Attachments

• CD-67 opamp rail decoupling.jpg
    CD-67 opamp rail decoupling.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 261
thank you so much madis64!

You are welcome ;)

However I would say that modding the opamp stages was only an intermediate step to the final solution with Ray's DOS (with signal attenuated to the level of the rest of my "old" audio gear so that I do not to wrestle too much with my tube amp volume knob when changing the sources).

Attachments

• cd-67 0.jpg
    cd-67 0.jpg
    134.2 KB · Views: 252
  • cd-67 1.jpg
    cd-67 1.jpg
    113.4 KB · Views: 251
  • cd-67 2.jpg
    cd-67 2.jpg
    125.2 KB · Views: 242
  • cd-67 3.jpg
    cd-67 3.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 244
One of the first steps you take should be fixing the power sources (to whatever fancy level you decide).

Then you can spend time on listening to different opamps.

Then you should replace the clock.

At one point you probably decide to stop ;-)

You could also measure your Marantz and other players with RMAA - just to see if you can find any changes in numbers and graphs.

And more than half of my music collection is on vinyl too :)

Hi Everyone,

Hope someone could kindly guide me here in regards to CD63 KI troubleshooting, that I own for a good while and have modified slightly, but now has developed a problem I can't seem to trace down.

Before I continue, it looks like this problem was developing over time and until unit is barely usable now.

What happens is, at times I need to turn the unit on and off few times before the display says anything at all. Once it does turn on however, everything works flawlessly until a random point in play back (could be half disc or never) the unit would simply freeze completely with random characters lit on the display and would not respond to any buttons. The spindle turns back and forth when this happens. After that I need to switch it off and on few times before it starts up properly.

It sounds like an MCU fault... I did replace the display ribbon cable and sockets with a usual multiwire ribbon cable soldered directly sometime in the past.

I checked the MCU resonator with an oscilloscope and it reads a little low, about 3V in amplitude on one pin and maybe 1V with 2V DC offset on the other, which is different to what manual says, 5V and 4.6V with no offset. I replaced the resonator with exact same part, but measurements are same. Is controller giving up?

Any advice?

Many thanks

In my modest CD-67 mod I placed the 100nF rail decoupling capacitors under the opamps.
As I have understood these caps have to be soldered as near to the opamp as possible.

The film caps over lytics are something that I have never tried - I do not think I can hear their presence.

I have applied a decoupling capacitor between pin 4 and 8 soldered on top of the opamp lm6172. I tried one first. The opamp now is fried. Am I missing something or should I decouple v+ and v- to somewhere else point?

Last edited: