Marantz CD63 & CD67 mods list

My pleasure. I would never have begun this without you and I'm sure I'm not alone.For sure it takes time and patience and a willingness to believe in the results. One thing I have learned now that my 67 is so good is just how poor the majority of recordings are:(. But then this was just as true back in the day with viny)l. That is an unfortunate fact of life: no matter how good the player, it is dependant on the source and on the inspiration, or lack of, of the recording engineer. 16 bit players may be a dying breed, as are cd's, but there are huge numbers of that breed still out there. Computer based, Hi def. etc. ok maybe is the future. Personally I am not investing in that. I have invested too much time and money in both this player and cd's to even think of switching and there comes a point when all the obsessing about what could be better is not only pointless but just a little insane (read compulsive). Yes I will continue to tweak my system just a bit here and there but basically it sounds better now than in all my experience (I'm talking 40 years!!!) Now having said all that my obsession is kicking in: what does the new DOS kit bring compared to the old??? :D

The silence is deafening...Have I said something to bring this monumentaly long topic to an abrupt end?? Oh well...I'll just talk to the wall! In order to complement the stunning sound of my Marantz, I have decided to revisit the crossover of my speakers. To that end I have had long instructive chats with Tony Gee of Humble Hifi fame. Having neither the money nor the space (in the speakers) for the caps that would have been a significant upgrade, he suggested a compromise that should be almost as worthwhile, namely bypassing the existing Jentzen superior Z with Cornell Dubilier 940C / 0,01uF / 3000VDC and replacing the resistors with mundorf supreme. This is going to be a royal pain to do but no more so than putting the new caps in the cdp. All good diy fun...and now that I have gone way off topic and the wall is totally uninterested, I'll be quite and go finish my coffee. Cheers

:yes::wave2: thanks
now I have just to wait for the parts to arrive and be sure I will not spare you! After all, the cdp is only the source. Without the rest there isnt any music and the rest has to be good enough to reveal what the Marantz is doing. I am really quite stunned by the difference that the Mundorf evo's made on the output.

Last edited:
Just removed the choke and X caps from the ac inlet to my cd67 and it made a significant improvement. Decided to do this after reading one of Martins articles and I have to agree with his findings.

A separate mod I did was to add a separate low noise regulator for the dac clock vref. Another improvement in detail.

I've ordered a bunch of 1761 regs to separate out the decoder supplies further. Still waiting for my dual lme49990 opamps to arrive from China too.

How would you implement the 1761 in place of a 3 pin regulator?

Hi guys, good to see a few old faces still dropping in on this thread ;)

Wouldn't be too difficult to use some of those fancy 5 pin regs directly on pin. 100mA is going to be a bit too feeble for most applications though.

Ive used TI Reg104 a in a couple of players not bad with 33uV noise and rated for 1A. There are a couple of other similar options too.

REG104 | Single Channel LDO | Linear Regulator (LDO) | Description & parametrics

This is a CD52 that I modded with them.....

23dd0f3e502726fb5825b15aed09857b.jpg

b9d9213ded83545911762f3a5b4bde31.jpg

using this methodology

CD52_DACDigital_zpsea8ed0a9.jpg

:yes::wave2: thanks
now I have just to wait for the parts to arrive and be sure I will not spare you! After all, the cdp is only the source. Without the rest there isnt any music and the rest has to be good enough to reveal what the Marantz is doing. I am really quite stunned by the difference that the Mundorf evo's made on the output.

Unless you are using a DOS or similar, its unlikely that you need caps on the output at all. Double check the DC in mV before the caps and if its nominal you don't need them.
In my SA7001, I was able to trim the offset out within the HDAM and do away with the output caps. The best cap is not cap!!!

Last edited:
"Unless you are using a DOS or similar, its unlikely that you need caps on the output at all. Double check the DC in mV before the caps and if its nominal you don't need them.
In my SA7001, I was able to trim the offset out within the HDAM and do away with the output caps. The best cap is not cap!!!"
I guess I wasn't clear. I have the fully modded package, which includes the DOS. The caps were per Ray's advice.
(Salut Malefoda)

"Unless you are using a DOS or similar, its unlikely that you need caps on the output at all. Double check the DC in mV before the caps and if its nominal you don't need them.
In my SA7001, I was able to trim the offset out within the HDAM and do away with the output caps. The best cap is not cap!!!"
I guess I wasn't clear. I have the fully modded package, which includes the DOS. The caps were per Ray's advice.
(Salut Malefoda)

Sure, Apologies. I didn't read back.
DOS needs output caps for sure :)

I have not been on here for a few years as I moved to France. I have been catching up on all the mods. If I modded my machine with everything on here it would be a very expensive machine indeed. I thought I would offer some advice and also see what other more intelligent DIY'ers think. Some thoughts on what is good, what is bad, and what is ugly. I remember writing to Chord following their insistence on putting arrows on their speaker cables as they tried to con the world that it made a difference what way round speaker cables are plugged in! They eventually agreed it made no difference as speaker cables do not act like diodes. This made me think about mods and what really gives you hi-fi for lo-bucks. I have recently bought a Marantz CD6000KI after my CD63 eventually died. Starting with the mains cable. Who thinks an independent supply and upgraded mains cable is beneficial. I have big doubts that this would have any audible advantages. And would anyone advocate any type of mains treatment. Even if you have a dirty and noisy supply wouldn't it be cleaned by the transformer etc? Any information from you guru's out there would be welcomed. Barry

Joined 2006
Paid Member
I have not been on here for a few years as I moved to France. I have been catching up on all the mods. If I modded my machine with everything on here it would be a very expensive machine indeed. I thought I would offer some advice and also see what other more intelligent DIY'ers think. Some thoughts on what is good, what is bad, and what is ugly. I remember writing to Chord following their insistence on putting arrows on their speaker cables as they tried to con the world that it made a difference what way round speaker cables are plugged in! They eventually agreed it made no difference as speaker cables do not act like diodes. This made me think about mods and what really gives you hi-fi for lo-bucks. I have recently bought a Marantz CD6000KI after my CD63 eventually died. Starting with the mains cable. Who thinks an independent supply and upgraded mains cable is beneficial. I have big doubts that this would have any audible advantages. And would anyone advocate any type of mains treatment. Even if you have a dirty and noisy supply wouldn't it be cleaned by the transformer etc? Any information from you guru's out there would be welcomed. Barry

You can always start following the guide in post n°1.....

I will be taking my heavily-modded 3-box Marantz CD63 KIS player along with my active system to Scalford where I will be exhibiting it on Sunday 20 March. This is a show arranged by HiFi Wigwam, a hi-fi forum, at the Scalford Hotel, near Melton Mowbray, Leicestershire, in the midlands.

To see what I have done, please scroll down the page to my posts:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digital-source/54009-marantz-cd63-cd67-mods-list-1996.html

I have done a few further mods since these pics, including a separate power supply for the Decoder + Ray's output stage.

I will be in Syndicate Room 1 on the First Floor. There will be approx 50 exhibitors. I.E. enthusiasts like us who will be taking their own systems. If you attend, pop in and say 'hello'.

Just to complete my last post: The mods to the speakers took two of us 6 hours! The filter was/is point to point wired, a real birds nest. First we had to figur out why and what and where. Then we unsoldered everything and made everything shorter and neater. When we finished the first one it wouldn't fit the way we had done it and had to be redone...
Eventually all back together and working. The change (still burning in caps) was remarkable. Be it the new bypass condos or the Mundorf supreme resistors, the sound was cleaner, more articulate and the sound stage more tangible. The only down side is that there is absolutely nothing more I can dream of modding on my system, which feels very strange. I guess the day had to come.. By the way, my assistant brought a cd of a Swiss performer (the name of which I forgot) which was the most astonishing recording I have ever hear. The "music" is equally astonishing. I will get back to you with the reference> This is THE cd for evaluating your system. Believe me. Red book is not dead.