Marantz CD63 & CD67 mods list

VAM1202 lens in, works fine. So I guess my previous problem -dry solder joint leading to clock failure- murdered the laser. Or made it wearing faster. I've removed the lens assy. and used that only coz as you may know the clamp does not match the CDM12.1.
It's right now playing, the second flea stealing the DAC's one supply, maybe not the best...
Soundwise I have no way to tell because I've messed with speaker stands and amp...
Thanks all and here I'm leaving this thread until I fry something else ;)

Matthieu

another crash

Hi, I've made off piste regulators and put them in at r508, r510, r122 and r123 (the decoder and the servo). Everything lights up, but when I put a disc in it doesn't spin and 'disc' still shows on the display. After turning the player off, the disc spins briefly after about a second. Does anyone know where I should look for the problem? Henry

Attachments

• Photo on 13-11-2014 at 18.54.jpg
    Photo on 13-11-2014 at 18.54.jpg
    283.5 KB · Views: 182
Henry I've never seen the dispaly's ribbon causing any issue as you experience. May you unplug and plug it back the ribbon going to the mechanism?

Sometimes it can be as crazy as whitsle more and more (like magnet geting loose or unbalanced disc) when spinning, causing blank in music, until it does not read anymore, then less and less with power on/off until it plays fine again. Yes it did that tonight... Clock PSU hack and close wiring maybe no good for me... or my old spare VAM is too old... damn it's not finished.

BTW, keep us updated on your troubles Henry.

Hi,
I am wondering whether the the new regs could be the problem or is it something I loosened while at work. I don't really know how the servo works, but I'm thinking of putting the resistors back in to test if that restores function.

The regs I made have 560r resistors on the output to increase the current to >5mA. (The adjustment pin to out resistor is 360R giving only around 3.4mA). This works well with two amber LEDs: I made eight of them and they all ran perfectly at 5V +/- 1% (using 2 X 9v batteries).

Am I right in thinking that the Servo regs could be the problem?

Henry

I have now replaced the resistors on both the servo and decoder with the same problem. In service mode the disc spins but there is both P02 (focus) and P10 (radial) error. I have looked over the board and cannot find loose wires. The display ribbon is a little damaged on one end. Could this be the cause? Henry

Hi - it is spinning again. When installing the regs I had replaced c510 and 511 with 470uf silmic caps recycled from the psu. I am not sure why they wouldn't work there but it was the last thing left to try so I put the 220uf ones back in. I really wasn't expecting that to be the problem. Time to get the regs back in!!! Henry