Marantz CD63 & CD67 mods list

poynton said:

Perhaps he should spend some of his loan on reading glasses and a 'mavis beacon' course !

Loan money is nearly depleted now after checking the balance. Reading glasses ????????? i have contacts, and what is a mavis beacon? lol im confused now.

Anyhow, my clock, psu, and op-amps are back in the new player, along with HDAM bypass and headphone circuit removal. Boy does this player sound sweet. I haven't had a proper listen as most people were in bed by the time i finished, but a bit of 'we are scientists' sounds gorgeous through my grados right this moment :D

ad

gy21 said:
Is it a good idea to replace all the output filter cap's by silver mica types?

I found it helped bringing out the small details in the music and a little better channel seperation but I changed these at the same time as fitting 0.1% tol resistors.

I found changing silver mica caps all over helped alot especially with delicate treble.

Brent

gy21 said:
Is it a good idea to replace all the output filter cap's by silver mica types?

rowemeister said:
I found it helped bringing out the small details in the music and a little better channel seperation but I changed these at the same time as fitting 0.1% tol resistors.

I found changing silver mica caps all over helped alot especially with delicate treble.

I agree, changing the filter components to better parts with tighter tolerance is a good thing, especially around the first opamp after the DAC. It increases the symmetry of the filter and the cancellation of HF noise. You can also use 1% Polystyrenes (Styroflex) caps. I bought a few more than I needed and matched them as close as I could.

I'll post pics after lunch

Brent

Enjoy!

Ray.

Here are the pics of my upgraged servo reg pcb.

Tight fit :smash:

Attachments

• finished new servo regs_small.jpg
    finished new servo regs_small.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 396
Re: Re: Serious testing...

rowemeister said:

I use the same cd for every listening test, this way I know exactly what gains (or losses) I have. I know the cd inside out. I use Diana Krall - The girl next door. I find this has sweet vocals and excellent varied bass and treble notes. Then ill test other cds with fast bass etc.

I can pick out certain notes or noises and always remember them, maybe i'm good at this with having been an audio engineer :xeye:

Brent

I suppose one could train ones hearing for remembering small details. But can you remember these changes over a period of time, say one week?

Jaap

Re: Re: Re: Serious testing...

awpagan said:

brent
for bass, Herbie Hancock did an album and the double bass solo on it was incredable, perfect for testing lows.

I think it was a record (vynal), still trying to find it.
still looking.
allan

Many times good sounding vinyl albums get 'remastered' for digital. Probably because of the larger headroom on digital. I rarely found a remastering job worth the effort. Please try before buy:eek:

Re: FET output stage

6h5c said:
Finally the parts I ordered arrived yesterday, so I could finish the player with the FET-stage i'm working on.
I built a new, serious version of the passive filter part, with 1% PS caps, precision resistors and matched inductors. I've just spent an hour listening to it. Wow. Guys, you really should try this.
The clarity, resolution, it's great. It beats the hell out of my opamp setup. :yes:

6h5c said:

Thanks guys,

The filter part is very easy. Building the FET-stage using the HDAM lay-out is a bit tricky.
But it fits without cutting any traces :D.
I use some MKC output caps that I had, but I think i'm going to put in some Auricaps, or Reliable.

Maybe i'm even going to put those nice shiny metal cans back....

Ray.

Maybe it's worth the effort making one dedicated PCB, for both the FET-stage and the passive filter? I have the old acid tank standby...

Jaap