Marantz CD63 & CD67 mods list - Page 102 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 25th February 2006, 04:34 PM   #1011
6h5c is offline 6h5c  Netherlands
One Seriously Addicted to Audio and Electronics
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by awpagan
just changed C605/606 from 1000pF to 470pF and R611/612/605/606 from 10k to 12k1

listeninig to Nora Jones before and after
much much better balanced sound highs to lows
recommended

Ray's filter suggestions
Hey, good to hear more positive results. Haven't got the 12k1 in yet, waiting for parts....

Quote:
no opamps was a mistake, just forgot to put them in
I know, it happens to me also from time to time

Ray.
Old 26th February 2006, 05:23 AM   #1012
awpagan is offline awpagan  Australia
diyAudio Member

digital?
and we are looking for realism in audio?

How does a delta sigma DAC work?

post 9

i think i'll go back to my trusty old rega 3 turntable

but have seen whats available on vinyl these days

allan

Oh well, back to the cd67 mods
Old 26th February 2006, 09:39 AM   #1013
avr300 is offline avr300  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Hi again

2 questions:

1. Have any of you re-used the SILMIC's from the DC blocking for OPAMP capacitor instead of the Clerafine?

2. How's the sound of the 63 with the kwak-clock, compared to standard XO.

/avr300
Old 26th February 2006, 06:22 PM   #1014
diyAudio Member

Hope this quote thing works (haven't posted much yet)....

Quote:

quote:
Originally posted by philpoole
I've heard mixed comments on biasing opamps into class A. Some say that it shouldn't make any difference either because they're pretty much in class A anyway due to the low levels involved (we're not swinging between power rails here), or that the crossover distortion is minimised due to the feedback involved.
Likewise, others seem to swear by it.

Definitely one to investigate.

Cheers,
Phil

Well, maybe some say it SHOULDN'T make a difference but all the reports I have read from people who have tried it have been very positive!!!!
OP amp outputs are seldom in class A even if they are used at low levels and RELY on high open loop gain and feedback to LOWER not MINIMISE crossover distortion.

Applying a fixed drain (source?) current to force the NPN output transistors into Class A does not minimise crossover distortion but eliminates it completely!!
Poynton, I agree it will make a difference, when forced into class A there will be no crossover distortion. I was just suggesting, with so much feedback the crossover distortion (in theory) should be negligible (BTW I thought lower and minimise meant the same thing, sorry if I'm misusing them) - which is why SOME are not so convinced. I actually believe it should help.
Anyway, as I said, it is worth trying.

Thinking about all this feedback really does make me think that Ray has the right idea with his opinion that a zero feedback output stage (be it valve or transistor based) is the way to go.

In the meantime, I will probably be investigating biasing. A simple FET and a resistor should be enough per current source, can't remember the formula off the top of my head, but I recall it forms a simple 2 pin current source. Not the best, but very simple.

avr300 I've had the Kwak Clock 7 in my 63 for about a year now, and I could never go back. These CDPs sound great when reclocked (like most others no doubt).
Old 26th February 2006, 07:22 PM   #1015
avr300 is offline avr300  Denmark
diyAudio Member

I could refine my question.

Would you go for the Kwak or the Tent (in diy version)?

Hopefully, neither of these takes out the magic of the CDP ?
Old 26th February 2006, 07:56 PM   #1016
ash_dac is offline ash_dac  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Default Analogue supply to the DAC

Hi,

Does the analogue supply provide voltage references to the op amp.. ? (It looks as though from the SM5872 datasheet)

It seems 5V in, and 1.4v out according to the marantz cd63 service manual.
Old 26th February 2006, 08:33 PM   #1017
adfinni is offline adfinni  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Hey im back, and will probably start my modding asap, with the removal and bypassing of the output caps, clipping of the muting transistors, then the installation of the audiocom ebay package (kit 1: superclock 2, 5V super reg, 12V super reg, -12V super reg).

Ive decided that 1000 into my student overdraft isn't enough, and want to go further into it

I just wanted a little help with what tools, and cables il need to do the mods.

Quote:
Originally posted by poynton

Hi Adfinni,

I bought a load of these PSUs of EBAY. They fit just nicely behind the display panel.

These are as basic as you need :- transformer, rectifier (yes-I know it's a cheap bridge!!), smoothing caps and regulator.
( I have to make a slight mod as these are set to 6v - I will be setting to 9v then using a super-reg to +5v )

Layout is not critical so perf-board will do, if you build one youself.

Maplin also sell a small board for an adjustable psu ( part no. VE58N )- just connect a small transformer ( eg Maplin part WB01B ) and set the volts to +5v.

Andy
poynton advised me to get the VE58N, and WB01B from maplins, to use as a PSU for the superclock. Are those those the only two things i need for the seperate PSU, and what sort of wiring will i need to complete the mod? (Sos im a noob, and don't want to screw it up)

Thanks
Old 26th February 2006, 09:02 PM   #1018
ash_dac is offline ash_dac  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by adfinni
Hey im back, and will probably start my modding asap, with the removal and bypassing of the output caps, clipping of the muting transistors, then the installation of the audiocom ebay package (kit 1: superclock 2, 5V super reg, 12V super reg, -12V super reg).

Ive decided that 1000 into my student overdraft isn't enough, and want to go further into it

I just wanted a little help with what tools, and cables il need to do the mods.

poynton advised me to get the VE58N, and WB01B from maplins, to use as a PSU for the superclock. Are those those the only two things i need for the seperate PSU, and what sort of wiring will i need to complete the mod? (Sos im a noob, and don't want to screw it up)

Thanks
Hi is that the TENZING mod?
Old 26th February 2006, 09:50 PM   #1019
mickie is online now mickie  Germany
diyAudio Member

Help..!

After my last mod i have strong noise on the output of my cd-67 if the volume of the amp is turned up fully and CD-Player is in stop or pause - which wasn't before (dead quiet!)

OK, what i did was the following:

-replaced all diodes (D801..804, DN 01..04, D811..12) with
Schottky and HFA08TB60;
-replaced C801/802, C811/812 with 0,1uF BG NX 50V
-removed C659/660
-removed R657/658 (jumper)
-replaced R659/660 with 100R (caddock)
-removed muting transistors (QN05-08)

I'm a bit in panic now, may i have damaged something..!?!

May this be related to the muting-transistors?
Sound is OK though...

Rest of the Output-stage is still untouched...

yours,
Mickie
Old 26th February 2006, 10:05 PM   #1020
adfinni is offline adfinni  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ash_dac

Hi is that the TENZING mod?
Nah, the tenzig mod is a total overhaul of the player that costs ~1000, which is far too much. You can spend a couple of hundred on electrical and mechanical modifications to the player to make it sound great. That's what im doing along with most the others in this thread.

With regard to my 1000 comment, that's just how far into my student overdraft i am, and want to spend more more more !!!

Hide this!Advertise here!