Marantz CD63 & CD67 mods list - Page 100 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th February 2006, 10:32 PM   #991
ash_dac is offline ash_dac  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Default PWM to Bitstream

Hi,

Good idea.

I've started a new thread.

Old 24th February 2006, 10:54 PM   #992
poynton is offline poynton  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Location: A life on the ocean waves when I'm not at home in N. Wales (but I'm not Welsh so no sheep jokes!)
Default Re: PWM to Bitstream

Quote:
Originally posted by ash_dac
Hi,

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showt...705#post600705

PWM to DSD...

I've had a look at the SM5872 datasheet.

Could JohnW's circuits be implemented in the Marantz cd63 ?

Why not purchase a bitstream dac cd-player instead?
Kenwood DP 7040/7050/7060 are all DAC7 bitstream players and are cheap to buy.

Why not start a new thread on this topic??

Andy
Old 24th February 2006, 11:04 PM   #993
diyAudio Member

Location: A life on the ocean waves when I'm not at home in N. Wales (but I'm not Welsh so no sheep jokes!)
Default Re: Re: Class A op-amps

Quote:
Originally posted by rowemeister

Andy do you have a nice circuit diagram for us to look at?

No pressure

No sorry - I don't but see Ray's post below.

Quote:
Originally posted by philpoole
I've heard mixed comments on biasing opamps into class A. Some say that it shouldn't make any difference either because they're pretty much in class A anyway due to the low levels involved (we're not swinging between power rails here), or that the crossover distortion is minimised due to the feedback involved.
Likewise, others seem to swear by it.

Definitely one to investigate.

Cheers,
Phil

Well, maybe some say it SHOULDN'T make a difference but all the reports I have read from people who have tried it have been very positive!!!!
OP amp outputs are seldom in class A even if they are used at low levels and RELY on high open loop gain and feedback to LOWER not MINIMISE crossover distortion.

Applying a fixed drain (source?) current to force the NPN output transistors into Class A does not minimise crossover distortion but eliminates it completely!!

Quote:
Originally posted by 6h5c

Hi guys,

Do you know this one?

Regards,

Ray.
Yes, Ray. When I posted this query originally some time ago, it was after reading this article. I still have not got round to trying it though!

Andy
Old 25th February 2006, 12:34 PM   #994
ZuMbAiU is offline ZuMbAiU  Bulgaria
diyAudio Member

Guys ,10 years I work with PC hardware.I know that all CD-Roms and CD Players have firmware.Why the peoples in the DIY CD-Player thread can think for a new firmware for the DIY Player with MP3 ? Why any people in this thread can`t work for any firmware with MP3 support for the Marantz CD6x series?
How I can mod my CD65,because I know that my player isn`t the perfect player?If any can help for the CD65 will be great
Old 25th February 2006, 12:50 PM   #995
6h5c is offline 6h5c  Netherlands
One Seriously Addicted to Audio and Electronics
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mickie
---C801/802, C811/812 again: Can i use 0,1uF there or would that be too much (want to use Black Gates again...); are those caps connected to the diodes somehow?---
Hi Mickie,

100n/0,1uF ceramics or MKT will do fine (Black Gates??). These caps are indeed coupled to the input side of the rectifier bridge that is made up of two or four diodes.

Quote:
Looking at the pcb, i realized that in the output-section several parts were implemented in series: coupling-caps (2x 220uF), output resistors 2 x 100 ohm. Any idea why the developers of the CD67 would do this?
The electrolytic output caps are connected in series back-to-back, to create some non-polar configuration. However, since most amps or pre-amps also have caps at the input, you can take them out and jumper them. The 100R resistors are there to prevent the output being shorted to ground by the muting transistors. If you take out QN05...08 you can jumper one of them and lower the other to 47...10R.

Quote:
A big problem on my CD67 is the transformer, buzzing and vibrating like an electric razor...makes me afraid it might jump off my rack.... No, its really annoying; think i have to swap it soon. What exact voltages do i need there?
A trick I used once was sticking a fine toothpick in the core to silence it and then break it off once it was in place :-)

Quote:
I also have an old L-Clock XO left from my rega cd-player, the frequencies fit; the problem is how to install it, don't have a clue...could need your help here as well...
Do you know what power supply this clock needs? If it's 12V, you can tap power in the player from C813, there's about 11VDC there, should work fine. You can connect the clock's + to U268 (the plus of C813), and the GND to U267 (the minus of C813). See picture. But the best solution is to use a separate power supply with a small PCB transformer and a regulator.
You can connect the clock's output signal to the player by removing CD02, CD03, XD01, RD02 and U209. Connect the output of the clock to the hole of U209 that's next to CD05.
If you drop me an e-mail I can send you the CD67 schematics if you like. That might enlighten things a bit.

Quote:
Sorry, lot of questions i know...but my knowledge of electronics is rather limited...
No problem! Glad to be of help.

Regards,

Ray.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cd67_clock_psu.jpg (82.7 KB, 545 views)
Old 25th February 2006, 12:58 PM   #996
diyAudio Member

Quote:

A trick I used once was sticking a fine toothpick in the core to silence it and then break it off once it was in place

And then apply varnish or epoxy resin to hold the laminations in place..

Andy
Old 25th February 2006, 01:03 PM   #997
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ZuMbAiU
Guys ,10 years I work with PC hardware.I know that all CD-Roms and CD Players have firmware.Why the peoples in the DIY CD-Player thread can think for a new firmware for the DIY Player with MP3 ? Why any people in this thread can`t work for any firmware with MP3 support for the Marantz CD6x series?
How I can mod my CD65,because I know that my player isn`t the perfect player?If any can help for the CD65 will be great

Hi.

You really need to look on threads relating to the TDA1541 and TDA1541A. There are many mods posted for this DAC.

Otherwise, start a new thread dealing with firmware updates.

Andy
Old 25th February 2006, 01:04 PM   #998
6h5c is offline 6h5c  Netherlands
One Seriously Addicted to Audio and Electronics
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ZuMbAiU
Guys ,10 years I work with PC hardware.I know that all CD-Roms and CD Players have firmware. Why the peoples in the DIY CD-Player thread can think for a new firmware for the DIY Player with MP3 ? Why any people in this thread can`t work for any firmware with MP3 support for the Marantz CD6x series?
How I can mod my CD65, because I know that my player isn`t the perfect player?If any can help for the CD65 will be great
Hi ZuMbAiU,

Audio-CD players also have software, that's correct, but the problem is: they don't have flash ROM's! So it's not possible to upgrade the uC software, unless you are able to write, compile and program a MN187164 controller
Besides, most guys here are in the audiophile section, so we don't like MP3's

Regards,

Ray.
Old 25th February 2006, 01:07 PM   #999
diyAudio Member

Quote:

we don't like MP3's

the future of HIFI ?
Old 25th February 2006, 01:09 PM   #1000
ash_dac is offline ash_dac  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Hi,

Does anyone know anything about pwm signals, and pdm signals ?

A pwm signal comes out the Marantz dac....

Is this pwm signal at 44.1khz or is it higher ?

Does the 1st stage after the dac just generate a voltage from the difference in the +/- left/right output ? (still 0/1 pulse)

..and the low pass filter turns the pulse into audio ?

Hide this!Advertise here!