diy philips cd604

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Disabled Account
Joined 2002
You can replace them as they're nothing special. It depends on the schematic but OPA2604 can be better in this application. According to many it not good enough compared with more modern types. OPA2132 seems a good overall choice.

There are several threads on opamps here, which one to use is dependant on the application and personal taste. Most newer types are at least better than LM833.

You can remove the Mute transistors but be aware of the plop at power up. I would fit a good low jitter clock and replace electrolytics anyhow.

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Helios999 has one and asks what can be changed. But you are right, I have a nearly new CD634 ( amongst others ) of that series that is a lot better designed. It won't help helios999 ;)

Helios999, member Remco Stoutjesdijk of the former audio-site Ultranalog sells cds with service manuals of most of the old philips cdplayers for 20 euro. A must-have if you like Philips oldies.

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Bernhard said:
Sorry, I do not think this player is worth time and money.

Why ? A cdplayer does not necessarily need 2 layer pcb, 18 supplies etc. to sound reasonably good. If the guy likes it he can modify it as long as he wants. Good learning subject, better make a mistake in this 10 euro cdplayer than in a high end model.

It would not be my choice either but if somebody has one and wants to change it why bug him/her with a judgement ?? Of course there are better machines out there but I think Helios999 knows that as well.

Helios999, I can not really advise you on which one to buy as I have several oldies ( to avoid choosing ;) ).

jean-paul said:

Why ? A cdplayer does not necessarily need 2 layer pcb, 18 supplies etc. to sound reasonably good. If the guy likes it he can modify it as long as he wants. Good learning subject, better make a mistake in this 10 euro cdplayer than in a high end model.

It would not be my choice either but if somebody has one and wants to change it why bug him/her with a judgement ?? Of course there are better machines out there but I think Helios999 knows that as well.

Helios999, I can not really advise you on which one to buy as I have several oldies ( to avoid choosing ;) ).

Hi

I agree with JP. I recently modded a 614 (similar) by changing clock (direct clock the 1543 !), opamps (2132), rectifier diods to BYV10-60 and some supply decoupling measures (yes te single layer is messy but with the right (common) sense improvement can be made quite well.

The result is a fine machine, not top of the range in authority but definetely one that I can live with.

Ofcourse my TEAC / DAC combo is way better but if you count the euro's invested......

cheers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.