CS8415A and DF1704 de-emphasis

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Trying to figure out the polarity of the emphasis / de-emphasis signals on these chips. Does anyone know?

The CS8415A receiver puts out a /EMPH signal, active low. The DF1704 inputs a DEM signal, active high. I'm confused on polarity. One is emph, the other de-emph, which technically are opposite? Can I connect pins directly or need inverter in between?

Thanks!

jh

You'll need to use an inverter.

Edit -- Geez, I just noticed that the question was posted by Jim Hagerman. I've got enough respect for you and your great website that I'll spend a bit more time to flesh out the answer! :D

The pre-emphasis can only be applied at the record end of the chain. The discrepancy in nomenclature occurs because the Crystal receiver is detecting the presence of pre-emphasis, while the Burr-Brown digital filter is applying de-emphasis.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.