and new DAC designs that have parts that are being made now?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
hello,

i wanted to learn/build a DAC that read either from the i2c/SPDIF.

the non-os dacs seems interesting (everyone seems to be building a derivative of teh dddac) but the parts used are not being made anymore. [ any new developments in DIY dac? non-os seemed to have been the rage a year or two back (most posts and websites about them are about 1-3 years old]

i wish to start using D/AC's and chips that are being made currently.

thanks,

jleaman said:
What schematic are you useing ? What parts are not made ?

He means things like CS8412 and TDA1541(A). No longer made.

frdchang, do you need to work from a schematic? If so, you can try http://sound.westhost.com/project85.htm

If you are capable of doing more than that, go crazy and design your own. When you're in the DAC world, the chip datahsheets are VERY detailed and spell out how the circuit must look. Just go crazy and design your own 192kHz DAC!

Try this one.

Attachments

• nonoz2-dacc.gif
    nonoz2-dacc.gif
    13.3 KB · Views: 697
thanks,

since i have not built a dac before, do you guys rate these dac designs superior to the dddac people usually make?

it seems like with newer dacs, the performance would be better.

i really like the concept of stacked or parallel dacs as well.

thanks for the info,

Some people are making dac with "today's parts" ;) But usually, they stay away of non-os.

Check for example this rather easy one : http://www.overclockers.com.au/~mwp/dac3/

Newer parts are often in soic or ssop (small), compared to the big dip parts many dyers like.

Let's take the Bel Canto DAC2. It uses dir1703 as spdif receiver, an AD1896 sample rate converter as upsampler and the oversampling pcm1738. Sounds quite good in my book and it should be easy to work on a similar dac following such lines, using cs8416/AD1896/PCM1794 for example :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.