Ferrite beads ON chips

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
A bad or good idea-someone please let me know:

Since ferrite beads are meant to absorb RFI/EMI, does it make any sense to place the beads ON THE TOP of integrated chips so that any radiated RFI/EMI is absorbed? Obviously there will need to be some way to mount the ferrite beads on the chips-blue tack maybe?

I have tried them on leads of inductors and this certainly seemed to lower the noise floor in CD players.

Hi

For the higher frequencies (say several hundreds of MHz) it will do, but below in general the RF currents and supply and or I/O loops will generate most RFI.

With that in mind, it doesn't matter where to place the bead (integrating that material is expensive)

By the way, beads do not absorb, they expose themselves as high RF impedances hence blocking RF currents

On chip measures to do similar jobs are actively switched supply lines (they disconnect when internally generated dI/dt is high)

best regards

I use Stillpoints ERS paper - just cut it to size for each chip, put a dab of silicone glue on it and stick it on each chip. I even wrap my DAC coupling caps into this stuff. They make the paper also as adhesive tape to wrap cables in it.

It's not cheap, but I bet that it comes out cheaper than a bunch of Ferrishield and it essentially does the same thing.

Peter

Pburke,

Thats true, the ferrishield stuff doesn't come cheap............

I once got a ferrishield evaluation box for €25, but these normally cost more than €100. It was something of a box of chocolate thingie with 20 different ferrite beads in it.

Most of that stuff went into my cd-80.

René

Beads work by acting as a resistive element. The reactive portion can usually be ignored. Absorbers are a different beast.

100 Euros for 20 or so beads????? I am in the wrong business. An expensive bead, such as a very large one, doesn't cost more than $1 or so. Unless you buy from the wrong supplier.

Jocko

Are you guys kidding?

...or did you also pay $100 for your mains power cables? If the latter is the case, please disregard the following commentary.

Ferrite beads will attenuate some high frequency stuff when placed *around* a conductor, creating an inductor with a specific reactance beginning at specific frequencies.

Ferrite beads around the leads of ICs might make some sense, but good luck finding a bead that will fit around adjacent legs of an IC *and* do any good.

Re: Are you guys kidding?

Stocker said:
...or did you also pay $100 for your mains power cables? If the latter is the case, please disregard the following commentary.

Ferrite beads will attenuate some high frequency stuff when placed *around* a conductor, creating an inductor with a specific reactance beginning at specific frequencies.

Ferrite beads around the leads of ICs might make some sense, but good luck finding a bead that will fit around adjacent legs of an IC *and* do any good.

Hi

There is no need to stick the bead around the leg

By the way, Jocko is right on the resistive part - measure and you'll understand

best regards

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.