Can the Shanling SCD-T200 be modded to accept a digital input?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Konnichiwa,

mattjk said:
I would like to use it as my main preamp, and use a dvd player as well.

In princile it could be done. It would not be easy or straightforward though. Also, quite frankly the internal "preamp" in the T200 is junk, for want of a better word. On the old version (the Gold & Stainless steel chassis) you change the jumper to the Tube Output PCb to bypass the Volume Control & Preamp circuit, the improvement in sound quality is quite dramatic.

Sayonara

Hi, This subject is getting interesting once more as the interest of dac's increases with all the new digital storage systems and services now available. I'm very pleased with my scd t-200, and wish to mod it with a digital input option if possible to avoid another big and expensive piece in my system. Any guidelines, references og contact info? that would be awesome, if you could be so kind.

I'll probably eliminate the "preamp" circuit and complete other upgrades while I'm at it.
Thanks a million in advance and best regards.
Soren.

It is possible but not easy.The software controlled nature of the PCM1738 complicates matters. The switch between DSD and PCM is software controlled and you would need to intercept that process in order to activate the '1738 which presumably mutes when no disc is present or playing. You would also have to add a second two way switch to select between the SPDIF input and the output of the DSD/PCM selector.

Luckily I'm a pro software guy, eventhough it might not help in this case.
But are there any guidelines somewhere? just general with modding this sort of chips that way eventually. Or any reference to persons who might know how to do this?

The switching part is farely easy I guess compared to cracking the part with DSD and PCM. But any guidelines are very welcome as well.
Thanks in advance and best regards.
Soren.

Aha. So if I just can find the right board then some wire cutting, solding and wiring could do the job with adding an option for a digital input ?
And it should be in connection with a switch between the SPDIF input and the output of the DSD/PCM selector.

Now how to find the right board if possible? :D

There is no board that quite does what you need. They are either too big, require a lot of add ons or major modification and any combination of boards would probably take up too much space.
Some other things to consider;
a. How to switch between inputs? Does one add a switch to the front panel or perhaps set up the unit to automatically default to the external input in the presence of audio data? Is this new input under remote control and if it is to be, how?
b. How does one indicate the selected input ?
c. What is an acceptable level of cosmetic alteration?

a. To switch between the inputs I can do with any simple old fashion switch on the back of case. Wouldn't it be ok? Thereby also saying that everything of cosmetic concerns goes as long as it is on the back or possible to have next to from the back.

b. Indicating the new input could either be when the switch is on or if needed another one to signal it.

The input does not have to be under remote control.

If boards are too big, will I then need another box next to, just as getting a dedicated dac? if it is a smaller box for sure then I guess it's still an ok solution depending on the price

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.