Tda1547 + Sm5803 + Hef4750 Studer - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th March 2005, 09:39 PM   #1
cdfr is offline cdfr  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Tda1547 + Sm5803 + Hef4750 Studer

Hi,

Trying to see if improvements can be made to a Studer D730. For instance I am wondering if clock signal could be improved.

Would anybody have the Studer D730 Service Manual?

The set of chips in the D730 are:
Xtal 11.2896 + Philips HEF4750UD (wondeing if this chips helps regarding jitter).
Digital filter: NPC SM5803APT
DAC: TDA1547
Analogue section: 7x 5532 and output trasformers.

cd
Old 10th March 2005, 05:34 AM   #2
mb is offline mb
diyAudio Member

I've found the TDA1547 very responsive to improvements in power supply. Almost every improvement to supply (eg. good film bypass cap, Ocson for digital supply cap, etc) is rewarded with improvement in sound. So my experience is that op2134 and lm6172 work well with the dac. Even with improved power supply for the opamps, the ne5532 just doesn't deliver the transparency available from the 1547 output.
Old 10th March 2005, 07:18 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Tda1547 + Sm5803 + Hef4750 Studer

Quote:
Originally posted by cdfr
Hi,

Trying to see if improvements can be made to a Studer D730. For instance I am wondering if clock signal could be improved.

Would anybody have the Studer D730 Service Manual?

The set of chips in the D730 are:
Xtal 11.2896 + Philips HEF4750UD (wondeing if this chips helps regarding jitter).
Digital filter: NPC SM5803APT
DAC: TDA1547
Analogue section: 7x 5532 and output trasformers.

cd

Hi

The 4750 is a sampling phase comparator, which potentially works very good, but finally the jitter depends on the oscillator structure and power supply.

The 1547 reacts very positively on a real low jitter clock at the inputs pin 5 an pin 28.

Studer generally makes well designed equipment, not always most audiophile though

best regards
Old 11th March 2005, 09:12 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Indeed in general Studer products are well build. You can sse here if you are curious the Power/DAC/Analog board.

It seems that there are two paths possible to follow:
1) OP amp changes 5532 to AD825 or BB2134 or 2132. Probably best to add sockets to make trials.

2) Replacing crystal by higher quality low jitter clock. Would you have a recommendation or a schematic?

and third path would be caps upgrade, I am assuming though those would have less effect than first 2.

Thanks,

cd
Attached Images
File Type: jpg d730s2.jpg (94.0 KB, 1040 views)
Old 13th March 2005, 07:43 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by cdfr
Indeed in general Studer products are well build. You can sse here if you are curious the Power/DAC/Analog board.

It seems that there are two paths possible to follow:
1) OP amp changes 5532 to AD825 or BB2134 or 2132. Probably best to add sockets to make trials.

2) Replacing crystal by higher quality low jitter clock. Would you have a recommendation or a schematic?

and third path would be caps upgrade, I am assuming though those would have less effect than first 2.

Thanks,

cd
Hi

I assume this player can also run at external wordclock (Hence the 4750). If you want to upgrade the clock, it is best to have schematics avalable as you may want to chose to exclude the external wordclock operation (simple upgrade).

There's 2 decent DIY clock solutions on the market that I am aware of, the Kwak clock and my own (TentLabs).

cheers
Old 2nd April 2005, 09:24 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Thanks Guido.
Indeed it has a world clock input, but I don't understand how if unused it would affect the internal clock signal? Is the clock poluted by EMI?

I have not posted a reply in while because I am searching for the service manual (it has the schematics). I have not been able to find one at a reasonnable price yet.
Studer sells one but the pages must be gold platted for the price

cd
Old 3rd April 2005, 08:43 AM   #7
Alien8 is offline Alien8  Belgium
diyAudio Member

Hi Cdfr

conserning analogue stages, have you thought about bypassing the on-chip I/V opamps ?
My understanding is that they resemble NE5532 types.

My idea is this (TDA1547 in CD950 philips) : see pdf.
First page 'resembles' the situation in my player now. (which I used to simulate)
Second page is my attempt to produce something simpler and hopefully audibly a lot better.
PSU changes are not included there.
Don't mind the current sources for the inputs, these are guessed on the basis of some measurements.

the only problem are the on-chip opamps which are internally connected to the outputs of the dac itself (cfr. datasheet)

Oh, and PSU upgrades indeed do matter a lot, as does guido's clock.

Any thoughts ?

A8

edit : first page included here (schema2.pdf)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf schema2.pdf (68.6 KB, 514 views)
Old 3rd April 2005, 08:45 AM   #8
Alien8 is offline Alien8  Belgium
diyAudio Member

new schematic
(schema.pdf)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf schema.pdf (17.3 KB, 351 views)
Old 15th October 2006, 08:01 PM   #9
Gasho is offline Gasho  Croatia
diyAudio Member

I have a Studer D731 which is a same player like D730 in rack-mount version. Yours is desktop.

This players are made to play silver discs in most natural way.

It have almost no jitter becouse of special system that adapt clock to one recorded on every disc (every cd is not the same in racorded clock)

Power supplyes in Studer are tuned for most natural sound.

I like to tweak players, and I belive that even the best "audiophile" machines can be tweaked to work better, but this Studer remain untouched by my hand becouse it yust plays natural music.

Even audiophile power chords donīt work on this playe. It work best with standard computer (3X2,5 square mm) IEC cable.

Regards.

P.S. Studer need very well balanced audio system becouse it donīt have some strong caracter of itīs own, and every disbalance in system will be heard like bright or warm sound.
Old 15th October 2006, 08:40 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Gasho

This players are made to play silver discs in most natural way.

Hmmm. Perceptions do vary. I used to have a D732 which soundwise was amazingly unremarkable. So much so i didn't even consider modding it. It already had green LEDs shining over the cd anyway

Hide this!Advertise here!