audio alchemy help

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
hello everyone.

i have promised my girlfriend that i will clear out some of my current junk pile now that we have moved into a new place. she thinks that a scattered and cluttered desk full of old pcb, trafos etc to be an eye soar? what does she know? right?

anyway, i have a audio alchemy dlc that i got for free, and would like to get it working and into my new computer system. i got this from a local pawnshop i did tons of work with, he didnt have a psu for it, and gave it to me to fix up. i brought it home and plugged in your standard wallwart 9v or so and it powered up, all the remote functions worked. volume up down, balance, input switching etc, but no sound. well i didnt know anything about audio back then

i know a little more now, but im no pro

the power jack has 3 terminals, which lead to 2 voltage regs ka7908 and lm4780 -8va and +8va. both of these have a min volatge of 11v and max of 30v. i have found a few psu design for the audio alchemy stuff that says the ps1 is unregulated +14v/-14v

however i see the 470uf caps at the regs on the dlc are 16v? i can build any manor of psu for the dlc (elliot sound project 05, or lm317's and small torroid etc) but will the 16v caps be a problem?

next question the info i have says that the upgrade from ps1 wallwart type psu, to the several hundred dollar ps2-3 was a worthwhile upgrade. should i go all out on the psu for it? i have $0 in it right now, around $30-$70 for a full on power suppply
lets say small torroid, mur860 diodes etc,snabber caps, panasonic filter caps, lm317/lm338 regs? replace the 16v 470uf caps in the unit with better and higher volatge caps? would this be worthwhile?

if this is the way to go someone have a a design like this , pcb, schematic etc?

audio alchemy help!!!

ok i have built elliot sound project 5 power supply, with el-cheapo parts, 7915/7815 regs, cheap caps etc, unit test fine. hooked up the dlc all functions work, all channels work, and it gets sound......but not very loud.

i have tried headphones right off the rca plugs, and no volume till you get to around 75 - 80 or higher, and never full volume. i hooked it up to a gainclone and same thing, and it still doesnt put out high volume.

i understand you can program each channel. and you can reset the factory settings by using either j4 or j5. i would really like to test this unit further. anybody who operates this preamp care to help me learn how to program it?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.