MP3's through home stereo

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,
newbie here, i was wondering if anyone has/is using an Ipod or equivalent to send music through home stereo.
I assume i could with the right cable or the like, with a pre-amp of some sort?
I was going to build a HTPC, but the kids are hogging my puter so they will get one to share. So consequently i want to play my music from my PC on Ipod and into stereo.
I am about to start my amp project so any help will be greatly appreciated

Cheers

Dazza...:D

Frank Berry said:
iPOD headphone output to line level input on your preamp should work just fine.

Do you need a preamp or amp for that?

I was thinking that preamp is mostly for equalization of sound at low power, so it's good for headphones or as a block before power amplifier. But if you are thinking of connecting iPod to play music to big speakers, then amp is better, isn't it?
So, in fact, any small home sound system should be able to take AUX input and amplify it to needed level.
Let me know

Thanks

lomtik said:

Do you need a preamp or amp for that?

I was thinking that preamp is mostly for equalization of sound at low power, so it's good for headphones or as a block before power amplifier. But if you are thinking of connecting iPod to play music to big speakers, then amp is better, isn't it?
So, in fact, any small home sound system should be able to take AUX input and amplify it to needed level.
Let me know

Thanks

It should work beautifully!
I'm listening to mp3's on my stereo from a portable player as I write this. You can also feed the iPOD directly into your power amplifier. After all ... it's line level in.

Hybrid fourdoor said:
Nothing like Winamp with 1700 songs loaded set to random :)

I cant stand playing songs in random anymore... not sure why.
I always play full albums now.
Might be because a lot of the music i listen to needs to be played that way to be appreciated (http://www.emit.cc).

And if we are having a ****ing match, 2900 tracks here (25Gb) :)
I know thats just a drop in the ocean to the amount other poeple have though.

iPOD + Stereo

Hi all,

I too have an ipod (40GMonsters) and although I got sick of ripping my cds onto it, it already has 2400 tracks and I havent even got to half way in the cd pile yet. They arent all going to fit! I know this!

But I take my ipod everywhere - it has survived a crash off my bike (cycling to work in the morning) and even though the ipod has an irreplacable battery I cannot live without it.
I took all my cds off their shelves and put them in my wardrobe.

I play it through my computer via the USB2.0 cable at work and at home it has its dock with the line out.

I shuffle songs all the time - unless I have a new cd ripped - then I listen to that for a couple of days...

Enjoy.

apollyon25

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.