Project - Marantz CD5400 modding (pics)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
iamwhoiam, All

Sorry if this sound a dummy question. I was aspired and try to do some mod on my newly bought CD5001. My 1at attempt will be to replace the 6 bipolor coupling to ROE electrolyte non-polar with 0.1 bicap. It should be the simplest upgrade and have audible difference I guess.

However, I got stuck at the beginning.

Could you advise how to unlock the ribbon cable between the mainboard and the CD drive (also, those two ones between the m/b to the control panel PCB? Thanks.

Due to the overwhelming response from people requesting the service manual, I have re-uploaded it here:

http://www.ukns.org/uploads/diy/cd5400.zip (compressed with Winrar in zip format). Might not work in XP, but will definitely work in the latest version of winrar.

RE: 4real
Thanks for the input, I guess I'll take a look and swap those capacitors for the DAC output caps and see what it feels like. Did you find the new opamp improved much of the detail?

edit: Sorry for lack of replies, I haven't used the CD5400 much since. It's now rigged up to my parent's AV system as a better-than-dvd-player-cd-player. Hmmph lol.

RE: 4real
Just to reiterate for those who want to attempt this mod. In my original posts I replaced C210/C310 caps. This is not needed as 4Real has found out. So just short them out with a jumper. DC actually comes from the DAC. Which are C201/C202 (left channel), and C301/C302 (right channel). So replace them with audio-grade polyprops :)

RE: Muting capacitor mods
Remove Q404/Q405/Q406/Q407

Any ideas as to where to look!

You can download the service manual from the net - schematics is there.

Looking at it - provided HP out signal is OK - then either there is a physically broken connection to the Audio Out RCA sockets or the last pair of muting transistors Q406/407 are shorting the signal for some reason.

You can try (for a start) tapping the signal from the place where HP out is getting it - from the "outer ends" of R412/413.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.