Old CD player / Sony XB 940

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Pan said:
"One thing is for sure: most Sony clients have money and are willing to pay very well to salvage their players."

Don´t know where you got that from. Sony is the choice for people with low income in Scandinavia at least.

Happy listening!

/Peter

I got that from Sony 333ES/777ES/SCD-1 owners.
They tend to stick to these nice looking machines and when they listen to the real thing they go desperately trying to improve their Sonys, at any cost.
A friend of mine that sells (some expensive) hi-fi couldn't sell a SCD-XA777ES even if many clients had interest in listening to that.
But when he put a Linn cdp at almost half the price side by side the Sony was ridiculous.
The Sony was put on a shelve at half the price...

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Re: Re: Old CD player / Sony XB 940

fmak said:

One of the reasons not yet pointed out is that the SCD940 has a design fault and this was why it was so cheap so quickly. The number of mini isolation chokes used in this box to try to stop hf oscillations in the PS and signal rails is incredible! They didn't suceed and so the 940 has a poor unweighted S/N ratio that affects its sonic character.

Go to audio asylum and do a search for some of the cures I posted.

In any case it was impossible to affect a complete cure as the hf noise was everywhere! The most significant mod was to isolate and rationalise the grounds but this was difficult in the design.

This is a known problem, you were one of the first to report it AFAIK. It is indeed very noisy and I stopped finding a cure for it as it takes too much time, effort and money to make something decent out of it. IMO it is a product that should not have been launched at all in this state. The 670 is much more quiet for example.

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
rbroer said:
I know the Sony DVP-9000ES with VSE modifications.
For red book, easiliy on par with my multibit, non-os, synchronously reclocked and global feedbackless folded cascode transconductance output stage :D
SACD on this player, yep, a clear step forward.

The 940 has the same VC24+ chipset I think and you apply the Zapfilter like the VSE board as I recall.

Even though it's a budget player, I guess you get at least 80% performance of the modded Sony DVP-9000ES; pretty good performance in my book. :cool:

A wrong assumption, guessing does not work in audio ;)

Look at Fmaks post to see why. DVP-9000ES is quite a different beast. Besides that we were talking about red book playback in comparison but I might be wrong on that. It would be a shame if it would sound worse with SACD media in comparison with an old 16 bit machine playing red book material :cannotbe:

Realtek make some excellent Ethernet chips, yet there are a lot of good and some very bad LAN cards with the one and the same Realtek chip on it. Same with TDA chips etc. The chip is only a small part in the chain of things that can go wrong.....

fmak,

how much of an issue is the noise at the VC24+ chip?

Maybe the reason that the Sony machines are responding so well to upgrades is this very fact about the noise/unstability problems.

They may be crappy designs in stock but a few pennies can transform them.

/Peter

"It would be a shame if it would sound worse with SACD media in comparison with an old 16 bit machine playing red book material"

In stock mode SACD out from 940 is clearly inferior to CD on a good multibit DAC but of course not after mods.

I do feel that SACD has nothing to do in budget players. I also feel that stock Sony machines are crap.

I also feel for lunch... good day!

/Peter

Maybe the reason that the Sony machines are responding so well to upgrades is this very fact about the noise/unstability problems.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The issue does not concern the VC24, but the very noisy chasis, power supply, and just about every bit of the SCD940.

The other Sonys do not have this problem. If you modify the 940, you must first get rid of this noise. I reduced it by 10-15dB but that is all.

fmak said:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The issue does not concern the VC24, but the very noisy chasis, power supply, and just about every bit of the SCD940.

The other Sonys do not have this problem. If you modify the 940, you must first get rid of this noise. I reduced it by 10-15dB but that is all.

As we have all this noise in the 940 circuits I suppose there is no idea either to connect an external DAC?

I probably be better off connecting an external DAC to the old Marantz?

rgds
Peter the first

Searcher said:
As we have all this noise in the 940 circuits I suppose there is no idea either to connect an external DAC?

Oh maaaaan...:bawling:
The worse transport I've heard in my life was testing the SCD-XA333ES with a dac.
When I saw the insides (which impresses the press:clown: ) I've got horrified.
The only way it played decent as a transport (and as a CDP) was installing a Tent XO3 clock (with it's dedicated SPDIF reclocking/output).

NEED HELP WITH SONY XB 940

As some of you appear quite experienced with sony xb 940, I would appreviate very much if you could advise how to deal with the following noice problem:

After some mods (LC XO Clock, Black gates on the audio board, 2 silver caps at the output and some power supply and ground micro-changes such as grounded copper plates for better separation) the CDP now oerates normally but with very loud hifreq noice like emergency train brakes). It seems to me this is a digital noice, although I did not touch the digital board.

Please note that earlier test with the clock only (w/o the rest of mods and the clock's own power supply, added later) was ok, as well as that changing the chips did not help, so it is not them.

Another Q: Is it really a good idea to put the LC ZapFilter mod (also hoping it may cure this crazy oscillation???

Thank you for your advise,
Futiboho

NEED HELP WITH SONY XB 940

As some of you appear quite experienced with sony xb 940, I would appreciate very much if you could advise on the following noise problem:

After some mods (LC XO Clock, Black gates on the audio board, 2 silver caps at the output and some power supply and ground micro-changes such as grounded copper plates for better separation) the CDP now oerates normally but with very loud hifreq noice like emergency train brakes). It seems to me this is a digital noice, although I did not touch the digital board. The noice starts after play and is much louder (unbearable like a scream before you die) than the music.

Please note that earlier test with the clock only (w/o the rest of mods and the clock's own power supply, added later) was ok, as well as that changing the chips did not help, so it is not them.

Another Q: Is it really a good idea to do the LC ZapFilter mod (also hoping it may cure this crazy oscillation???

Thank you for your advise,
Futiboho

Hello !

Sorry to ask, but I'm searching for a good warm detailed souding old Marantz, not expensive.

My Teac vrds 10 drive has jumped to death this week-end, I'm trying to repair it but I'm not sure I'll achieve to take it back to life (used Audiomat, A2C, EAD d/a converters).

I just need a good backup CD player to listen to music : I like sweetness, musicality, details and a touch of warmth.

Is the Marantz CD-75 mkII a good choice ? (cheap but hard to find).

Thank you for your advices,
Regards,
ptiJean

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.