CD-ROM digital output to normal S/PDIF converter. - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th February 2005, 06:11 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default CD-ROM digital output to normal S/PDIF converter.

I know this has been touched upon already in the massive "CD-ROM as a cd transport" thread. After reading the article, it was already clear to me that the Rockna controller solution solved one piece, however, I have yet to find any thread that completely solved how to convert the CD-ROM digital output to normal S/PDIF. I stumbled upon this fine product that summarizes what I actually want!!:
http://www.space-tech-lab.com/SP-CD-001.html

Problem is, it is 700 us dollars. We all can get the Rockna controller, now the only thing we need is "CD-ROM digital output to normal S/PDIF converter."

I cam soo close to finding out some good articles regarding this..but much to my dismay,the links are dead.

http://www.minidisc.org/part_hacking.html

scroll down and look under the construction projects.

I then stumbled upon this:
http://users.bigpond.net.au/tony_h/dvd/circuit.htm

Is this what I think it is? Is this the answer to my CD-rom transport obsession?
Old 14th February 2005, 03:10 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Hi
I use Transformer Coupling at the input of my DAC, made from 30 turn of small copper wire and small ferite ring core, connect direct to digital out from CDROM and it work well.
sample picture in this link below
Another CDROM Controller Kit
Old 14th February 2005, 04:36 AM   #3
Banned

Not exactly my idea of "small ferrite ring core".

Jocko
Old 14th February 2005, 04:56 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

thanks for the reply pradit, I just emailed you too. But I have a DAC that i do not want to take apart. I have the benchmark media dac1 and I just need a standard coaxial to come out of the cd rom. any additional info would be greatly appreciated.
Old 14th February 2005, 05:40 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Again, Close up for pulse transformer.
I use enamel copper wire 2 wire wrap around small 2 Cm. ferite ring core 30 turn then I have 4 wire out from transformer, 2 for in and 2 for out.
If you don't wanna touch your DAC. I will connect 2 wire to digital out from CDROM and connect 2 wire to jack RCA or Coaxial out Jack so got this signal to your Dac.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg r31293-3.jpg (27.3 KB, 930 views)
Old 14th February 2005, 11:31 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Digiaudio!

Along the line of your thinking, [& eyeing the Rockna controller], I was also having a try at it. Originally this was only a toy, such as to proove the importance of the SPDIF output jitter in a transport. I ended up with my version of Guido-s XO3, which, in my opinion, would be the ideal solution also for you. [the XO3]
In the past months, this ugly toy became my main player.. though i have a Rotel RCD990, with CDM9 PRO in it, a good old Pioneer pds705, with stable platter mechanism [which produces the most beautiful RF eye pattern that I 've ever seen, and I used to test a lot] and a nicely sounding old ONKYO dx5700. [all modified, though not at the SPDIF output]

The batteries are there, because it was an another try to see if the ideas of Pete Goudreau are working or not. [Breaking the RF loops, which are formed across the AC power lines] Hm, there is a difference, even if subtle. As there is a strong difference between the cables, as well..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img_6730rrr.jpg (87.8 KB, 1070 views)
Old 15th February 2005, 12:53 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Using a TTL compatible sp/dif receiver means you can connect directly cdrom output to dac input. I'm using AD1892 and works perfect - no interface needed.

Hide this!Advertise here!