voltage regulators - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th August 2002, 11:17 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default voltage regulators

hi can any one tell me if voltage regulators vastley improve the sound quality of my dac if so what would you recomend thank you for your time john
Old 9th August 2002, 11:49 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Your DAC already has voltage regulators, or it is a total piece of junk.

If you're asking if replacing the existing regulators with some other voltage regulators will improve the sound, I'd say not likely. But, while making such a swap, you may just end up destroying the DAC by overheating a part, or damaging a circuit board (they aren't made to withstand a lot of part swapping), or burning up other parts if you do the swap improperly (wrong lead in the wrong hole).

Carefully consider the risk/benefit ratio when contemplating such a modification.

MR
Old 9th August 2002, 11:54 PM   #3
Banned

Default other voltage regulators will improve the sound, I'd say not likely.

And as on many other occasions you would be wrong...... Try the Linear Technology parts and be careful.

Ren
Old 10th August 2002, 08:49 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Default Re: other voltage regulators will improve the sound, I'd say not likely.

Quote:
Originally posted by Ren Hoek
And as on many other occasions you would be wrong...... Try the Linear Technology parts and be careful.

Ren
thankyou for your time ren john
Old 10th August 2002, 10:26 AM   #5
lohk is offline lohk  Europe
diyAudio Member

please search this site for voltage regulators and similar subjects - there are a lot of posts and links to keep you busy for weeks I am sure.
Old 10th August 2002, 02:11 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Whoops! I misunderstood. I thought you were asking the question because you wanted to hear other's opinions.

In the future I will try to keep my fingers off the keyboard unless I can agree with whatever preconception you may have. Next time, please state your question in a manner that more directly reveals the preconception. That will make it easier for me to determine if I agree and can then post or if I disagree and should then remain silent.

MR

PS- I notice there is a thread about someone's dead CD player running for the last several days. It seems they were making modifications to "improve" the sound and they are now left with no sound. Please do be careful when you swap those voltage regulators.
Old 10th August 2002, 03:04 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by MRehorst
Whoops! I misunderstood. I thought you were asking the question because you wanted to hear other's opinions.

In the future I will try to keep my fingers off the keyboard unless I can agree with whatever preconception you may have. Next time, please state your question in a manner that more directly reveals the preconception. That will make it easier for me to determine if I agree and can then post or if I disagree and should then remain silent.

MR

PS- I notice there is a thread about someone's dead CD player running for the last several days. It seems they were making modifications to "improve" the sound and they are now left with no sound. Please do be careful when you swap those voltage regulators.
thank you for yuor cocern i will be care full all the best john
Old 11th August 2002, 10:14 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Default Re: voltage regulators

Quote:
Originally posted by NAP 160
hi can any one tell me if voltage regulators vastley improve the sound quality of my dac if so what would you recomend thank you for your time john
-------------------------------------------
Absolutely, in the right place and with the right ones. Decoupling caps aare equally important.

Hide this!Advertise here!